BEST and WORST protein Bars

Options
I need some protein bars for when I am getting toward the end of the day and just don't feel like eating cottage cheese, PB or am on the run.

I had a Kashi Go Lean Roll bar...not bad, but it's so processed for being 'all natural' :mad:

Want: high protein, low sugar, minimally processed

Don't want: banana flavors (allergic), raisins, artificial sweeteners

thanks!

Replies

• shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Like like pure protein and Luna bars.
  • GroupXZ
    GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein bars are the best I could find, and they taste greeeaaat!
  • nicolaluna
    nicolaluna Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I really like Mojo bars.

They're made by the Clif company, but are nothing like Clif bars in terms of taste or texture. My favorites are the peanut butter pretzel, white chocolate, and chocolate almond flavors. They're all 200 calories or under, and low glycemic. They give me a really good energy boost. Oh, and in my neck of the urban woods Whole Foods and Trader Joe's sell them.

Hope this helps! :happy:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    High protein and minimally processed is a tougher combo. Balance Bar Bare are 40/30/30 and at least all natural (but only the Bare style, the others are full of fake stuff)

If you can find them, there's a brand called Rise that makes all natural, minimally processed bars that are really tasty. They make different versions, including a line of protein ones. They're definitely pricier though.

Most of the other ones that are going to be high protein (Pure Protein, PowerCrunch, etc) are going to be way processed and full of fake sugars.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies! I will have to check out some of the bars...and the Rise bars look really good too.

I'm looking to make my own, but would hate to make a batch and they turned out gross...maybe the dog would eat them.
  • JJJJ25
    JJJJ25 Posts: 37
    Options
    You could also make your own. There are lots of recipes online that would let you tinker with the macros you want.
  • SordidEuphemism
    Options
    Check out Alton Brown's recipes for protein bars on foodtv.com - You can nudge the recipe if it's too sweet or whatever, as he likes to include fruit in the protein bar, but it'll give you a good starting point. I've never been disappointed using that recipe to start.
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies! I will have to check out some of the bars...and the Rise bars look really good too.

I'm looking to make my own, but would hate to make a batch and they turned out gross...maybe the dog would eat them.

That's so funny you say that......I made a batch too and they were terrible! Not even edible! I hope to find a different recipes that is good eventually
  • indigenousnudity
    Options
    Quest bars are the best IMO. All the flavors taste pretty good (PBJ is my favorite) but most importantly they aren't loaded with sugar/carbs. Tons of fiber and protein.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I like NuGo bars. They have a bunch of flavors but at my Costco they have a box that has Vanilla, chocolate, and peanut butter chocolate.
  • JenWatz
    JenWatz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Metragenix 2:1 Protein bars are my favorite right now, peanut butter brownie and cookies and cream are amazing! http://www.2to1proteinbars.com/
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    I love Luna's.
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Kind bars... Love Kind Bars
  • AnneMichelsen
    Options
    Hammer Nutrition makes energy bars, etc. for athletes. They're not nearly as processed as most of them out there. I've tried a couple and they're not bad - not overly sweet like most of the energy bars out there. So far I've only seen them in bike and sports shops. They're a little pricey but not too bad if you're only eating them once in a while.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    HMR bars are the worst (sorry one of my friends sells their diet..) First ingredient is CORN SYRUP!
  • MontgomeryRats
    Options
    Quest bars are the best IMO. All the flavors taste pretty good (PBJ is my favorite) but most importantly they aren't loaded with sugar/carbs. Tons of fiber and protein.

I wonder how they taste... I'm looking at their site and they are by far the lowest sugar bars I have seen anywhere. I like sweet though LOL. Are they truly somewhat tasty? I may have to try these... I'm tired of all the bars having so much sugar.
  • thpeek
    thpeek Posts: 76
    Options
    Ultimate Flurry Protein bars are soooo yummy, low net carbs and taste better than a candy car, they do not taste like a typical protein bar;

http://www.nutrientscience.com/UltimateFlurry.html
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

^^^This^^^
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

I wonder how they taste... I'm looking at their site and they are by far the lowest sugar bars I have seen anywhere. I like sweet though LOL. Are they truly somewhat tasty? I may have to try these... I'm tired of all the bars having so much sugar.

If you want to try them and order them online, netrition.com has them for a good price and you can order 1 at a time and shipping is $4.95 for any order.