My name is Joseph and I need help. :/

Options
I am twenty years old. 6'2". Large frame. I weigh uncomfortably too much. Not terrible but not where I'd like to be.

I am addicted to fast food. I have it once a day. That's seven times a week too many. I'd prefer to remove fast food from my diet entirely. I'm also trying to do the C25k for the fourth time.

Everything was great for a single week. I exercised, ate well and felt fcking fantastic for the first time in a long time. A week later, I'm back in the same place. I feel dejected, exhausted and emotionally dead. I know I keep setting myself up for failure, so I'm asking for some serious help. I'm trying to read a book on willpower at the moment.

I've wanted this for a few years now. I'm ready to do whatever it takes. I'd like your help.

I prefer to talk to people around my age, since our bodies and minds are currently at similar points in our lifespan. You can message me whenever, I'm better at being supportive than I am at achieving my own goals, sadly enough.

You're all awesome. <3

Replies

• HIITTheChallenge
    HIITTheChallenge Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Joseph, You are super lucky to be a guy in that aspect guys respond so much faster than girls. Do you have anyone who can go to the gym with you? I love the bodybuilding.com website and they have workout programs designed by personal trainers to help you move forward pretty fast. 9 weeks is pretty fast... but I can see where it would make you feel pretty burned out. I have learned that lifting weights is more important than cardio when it comes to losing weight. We need to supplement with cardio. I love that website I have learned so much on there as a lot of personal trainers have blogs and stuff. You might check it out! Good luck to you!
  • Ohjeezitskim
    Ohjeezitskim Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm nineteen, and I have a friend whose a lot like you! He eats fast food 4-7 times a week, and has probably 3-7 monster energy drinks in that week as well. (and frozen mac and cheese.) He's basically skinny though, but thinks he's perfectly fine. The past 2 months or so he was getting nose bleeds multiple times a day. But for the life of him he said he was fine, good sugar, good blood pressure, ect. We know something is wrong with him. I think, and I know that it would work for me, is that maybe if you go to a doctor for blood work/check up and let them tell you what you are doing to your body that you can't see, it would motivate you to stop doing something that could potentially threaten a longer life. I'm glad though that you are trying to change that habit and think that it's wrong! That's the best way to start!

-Also maybe try cutting down first. Like when my friend tried to stop smoking, instead of having 5 ciggs a day, she'd only limit herself to 10 a week, and gradually cutting it down month by month. Yes she needed outside help, like that gum but she did pretty good! So instead of 7 times a week, try 3-4 and keep cutting down until you crave it less and less!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm a female BUT I'm 23 so kind of close to your age.

If you're exhausted it might be a sign that you're overtaxing your body. If you aren't used to exercise or cutting calories it is going to be taxing on the body. You may need to eat a little more if your energy or motivation is lagging. Or maybe give yourself a rest day or two on the exercise.

As for C25K, I've heard a lot of people give up because they didn't think they were able to go to the next level. Maybe try doing the same week twice before moving on? Try adding in some strength training along with the running as well!

As for the fast food, I used to eat it at least everyday, sometimes twice a day. I always ate out, never cooked. I gained 25 pounds in a year from this habit. I was seriously addicted to the food, I couldn't get enough of it. Once I started watching what I ate, and focused on being *healthy* I realized how absolutely disgusting fast food is. I can't even smell it without feeling gross. Give it a little time and try to cut it out completely. You'll realize you never needed it to begin with. AND it will help you lose the weight.

Good luck and best wishes! :smile:
  • cbh142
    cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I was a fast food eater. I would eat a lot of burgers at Sonic and Burger King- oh ya and Dairy Queen Blizzards. If you can stay off it for a few weeks it actually doesn't even sound good at all. Well, that is what happened to me anyway. Good luck.
  • Shannonlastname
    Shannonlastname Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree with mes1119. Once you get yourself away from being in the habit of relying of fast food if quickly starts losing it's appeal. I still have a serious addiction to eating out because of the convenience of it but I can't even stand the thought of mcdonalds anymore.

I'm also 23 but I am female and over a foot shorter than you :)
  • YAHAIRA2626
    Options
    Hi I find it to have such willpower I cosino every day for my family rice Aug them any fried meats and soy boricua that are used to eating rice, 7 days a week and then I got fuersas and just as veses 2 or 3 a week and see in one day and removed all kinds of fried meats eliminated sodas not been well sweet but I hard in my struggle is a matter of saying I want or I can I come to you saves you that you will do
  • snuggllepuff
    Options
    Hi Joseph. This can either work two ways... while most people would suggest cutting out the fast food completely, I find a different method works for me personally. I have a cheat meal once per week where you can eat whatever it is that you are craving.

I happen to think McDonalds is the greatest food on earth (gross, I know) but I really love McDonalds haha. Everyone has a guilty pleasure and I think that having the mentality of "I can never ever have this again or I'll fail" is pretty depressing. Knowing that you can NEVER again eat something you love is discouraging and is one of the major reasons people become miserable and give up on a healthy life style.

If you stay disciplined and make sure to ONLY cheat on your specific cheat day, you may find that you are more motivated on your normal days. Just try to pick a specific day for your cheat meal and STICK TO IT. Try not to flop around and make your cheat day whenever you want it because you should learn to wait for it.

After you eat your cheat meal, you'll hopefully learn to eat until you are full and then look forward to going back to your healthy diet. As long as you are exercising and eating healthily 90 percent of the time, the other 10 percent can't ruin you. Cheat meals are actually proven to help increase the speed of weight loss because it serves as a jump start to the metabolism when done correctly. If you do some research on cheat days, you'll find tons of information on the benefits.

Eating fast food all the time will make you feel crappy. But so will unnecessarily restricting yourself! Good luck!
  • Shannonlastname
    Shannonlastname Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ever once in a while I get the strongest craving for mcdonalds but it's never as good as I imagine it will be.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Hi Joseph,

Getting your body healthy again is physical, of course, but it is also partially psychological and partially emotional. I've been finding that working on the psychological and emotional parts of this journey has really made a world of difference for my success. If you feel like part of your battle is been emotional or psychological, send me a message and we'll chat about it. :)

It's all about mind over matter, y'know?

All the best,
    Mary
  • josepb
    josepb Posts: 27
    Options
    I was a fast food eater. I would eat a lot of burgers at Sonic and Burger King- oh ya and Dairy Queen Blizzards. If you can stay off it for a few weeks it actually doesn't even sound good at all. Well, that is what happened to me anyway. Good luck.

I've experienced that before, then slipped right back into it. Mostly out of convenience. I need to work on my willpower!
  • josepb
    Options
    I feel like I'm unable to handle the emotional side of things, simply out of being overwhelmed. College is taxing.
  • josepb
    Options
    That is the story of my life. I always crave it so badly and afterwards I'm filled with regret. Hmph. :/
  • juliexiuu
    juliexiuu Posts: 118
    Options
    I used to eat fast food a lot too. I'll still cheat once or twice a week. I've now learned to love the taste of healthy cooked meals and prefer it over fast food.
    I'm 19, add me if you want!
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to ask God to give you the strength to make better decisions. You can't do it alone- but good news, he is faithful! I'm praying for you Joseph...
  • josepb
    Options
    You are going to have to ask God to give you the strength to make better decisions. You can't do it alone- but good news, he is faithful! I'm praying for you Joseph...

Eh, if only I weren't an atheist.
  • josepb
    Options
    I used to eat fast food a lot too. I'll still cheat once or twice a week. I've now learned to love the taste of healthy cooked meals and prefer it over fast food.

My biggest problem is that I can't cook. I'm pathetic. I have trouble combining more than two ingredients, out of sheer laziness. I get that from my dad, so.. :/
  • janess88
    janess88 Posts: 2
    Options
    Instead of thinking more about not eating that food just to lose weight you should think about not eating that food just for your health and well being. If you haven't seen the movie super size me... it definitely is an eye opener, although I don't think your to that extreme. The emotional part is the hardest but after you conquer it the physical part is the easiest.
  • ForTheWin88
    Options
    Joseph, I was in your position about 2 years ago. I lost a significant amount of weight and gained half of it back recently just from being over confident and lazy. But I do understand what you're going through. When I was in college, we were eating fast food 1-2 a day without fail. Sometimes a forth meal at 12am - its not a great way to live your life.

The first thing you should realize is that you ARE worth making a change and you're in the right place to be successful. We have a lot of support here and I've learned that in few short days.

Once in a while is not terrible to reward yourself with fast food but use it as a game. Stay off of it for 10 days, on the 9th, you can have something (like chicken nuggets & small fries) .. and as you lose more weight you can reward yourself every 10 days with lets say a cheeseburger.

Have a little faith in yourself. When you successfully do lose weight, and you see yourself shedding it off - that'll be all the motivation you need to keep up with it.

Speaking from experience, once I laid off the fast food for a long period of time, the first time I had it, it literally made me ill - body wasn't used to it anymore. Rarely indulge in it now!
  • josepb
    Options
    Joseph, I was in your position about 2 years ago. I lost a significant amount of weight and gained half of it back recently just from being over confident and lazy. But I do understand what you're going through. When I was in college, we were eating fast food 1-2 a day without fail. Sometimes a forth meal at 12am - its not a great way to live your life.

The first thing you should realize is that you ARE worth making a change and you're in the right place to be successful. We have a lot of support here and I've learned that in few short days.

Once in a while is not terrible to reward yourself with fast food but use it as a game. Stay off of it for 10 days, on the 9th, you can have something (like chicken nuggets & small fries) .. and as you lose more weight you can reward yourself every 10 days with lets say a cheeseburger.

Have a little faith in yourself. When you successfully do lose weight, and you see yourself shedding it off - that'll be all the motivation you need to keep up with it.

Speaking from experience, once I laid off the fast food for a long period of time, the first time I had it, it literally made me ill - body wasn't used to it anymore. Rarely indulge in it now!

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. The emotional side has definitely been the most difficult for me. The cravings and lack of willpower, especially. I feel like there's a massive wall that, once I climb over it, everything will be so much easier. Until then, though, I feel stuck. I just need to get up and move. I plan on running in the morning. Hopefully this can be the start of the rest of my life.
  • juliexiuu
    juliexiuu Posts: 118
    Options

My biggest problem is that I can't cook. I'm pathetic. I have trouble combining more than two ingredients, out of sheer laziness. I get that from my dad, so.. :/

I'm lazy too, I still live at home and my mom cooks the most in the house but I'm sure you can learn to make simple things like a salad! I've asked my mom to cook healthier meals so that's helped, but yeah I should probably learn to cook real meals too... lol :p
    I'm lucky my college has healthy stuff like stir fry, I buy that a lot at school.