Running for the very overweight/unfit (alternative to C25K)

Options
I posted this as a reply in another thread, but thought I'd post it as its own topic for those that might be interested and/or want an alternative to C25K.

I think the Couch 2 5k is a great programme, but beyond the grasp of people who are very overweight / very unfit / very biomechanically ill-suited to running. It starts off slow, but then seems to make unrealistic leaps in how long you need to run for.

So below is what worked for me. Full disclosure: I am no expert, but found a training method that enabled me to go from literally wanting to die after running 100m to running half marathons without any walking.

Before starting, ensure you are fitted for correct running shoes. As an overweight person, you are highly likely to over-pronate, even if you don't naturally have flat feet.

First decide the amount of time you're going to run/jog each time. Minimum 30 minutes, maximum 1 hour.

To start off with, do not run on consecutive days. Your joints and muscles will let you know when you're ready to run on consecutive days.

PROGRAMME

Week 1: ONLY WALK

Week 2: Walk 4 minutes, jog/run 1 minute (W4;R1). In that order. Repeat for total duration of exercise. Stay with this pattern for at least 2 weeks, or as many weeks until is starts feeling easiER (not easy).

Next stage (maybe week 4, maybe later): walk 3 minutes, run 2 (W3;R2). This is the hardest jump to make, as you're effectively doubling your running time. Don't lose heart at this point. As above, do this stage for at least 2 weeks, but more than likely, more than 2 weeks.

Next stage: W2, R3 - now you're running more than walking, but by this point your body has been conditioned for running and your fitness will be much improved, so while daunting on paper, it's probably easier than W3, R2. As above, stay in this pattern for at least 2 weeks, probably more, until it feels noticeably easiER (not easy).

Penultimate stage: W1, R4 - you should be quite fit by this stage, at least relative to where you started. You need to do this, as with all stages, for at least 2 weeks, but likely much longer. You'll know you're ready to move on to just running when the 1 minute of walking is actually beginning to annoy you, and it feels more like a break in your rhythm than a relief. This will come at a different time for every person. It's a leap of faith, and only you'll know when it's time to ditch the walking entirely.

TIPS
- moving onto the next stage is not only about your fitness, but your body conditioning. While your lungs and heart may be ready to move on, your joints and muscles may not be, and moving on too soon increases your risk of injury;

- to help your joints and shins in the early stages (shin splints are almost guaranteed in the early stages), fill some polystyrene cups with water and freeze them. Once frozen, peel away the polystyrene and ice your joints, shins and muscles with them every day after your workout.

- breathe through your mouth and nose when running

- to minimise lower back problems, keep your core engaged while running / walking

- keep your shoulders down and your hands loose. Keep your head down looking in front of you about 10 - 15 metres
- vary your running route

- get out on the roads - a treadmill is great cardio, but it is not actually running. If you view someone on the treadmill in slow motion, the action is closer to jumping (i.e. jumping to keep from falling off) than true running.

- until you can comfortably run for an hour (comfortably means the ability to talk to someone while doing it), SPEED AND DISTANCE ARE IRRELEVANT. Do not worry about running faster or further. Focus on the time. If your run is a mere shuffle or slow jog, it doesn't matter, as long as you're able to do it for an hour. There is plenty of time later for worrying about speed.

- incorporate cross training to work other muscle groups (e.g. swimming) or strength training. Squats and lunges will do your hamstrings and quads a world of good and minimise the incidence of injury.

Good luck

Replies

• MAponte73
    MAponte73 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This is very good information; I was just starting to run before my car accident and have not got back to it. I believe I will be ready to start in a week or so, maybe sooner. Thank you for sharing.
  • SandyMilton
    SandyMilton Posts: 130
    Options
    This is such a great way to ease into it! Thank you so much for sharing!
  • newbs4
    newbs4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :)
  • aliceguy
    aliceguy Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Now there is some plain language motivation and some potential solutions for those, like me, are unfit enough to even contemplate the C25K thing.
    Especially for me as I have a few bits of steel in my ankle holding things together, I think I may be inclined to try this, many thanks!
  • mmy127
    mmy127 Posts: 14
    Options
    bump
  • blandwriter
    blandwriter Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I would add that anyone in the category of "very overweight" or "very unfit" needs to talk with their physician before embarking on any exercise program, much less running.
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    This is similar to the pattern I used but I increased by increments of 30 seconds instead of a minute. And I have stuck to 4 min run / 1 min walk for years. I have completed four half marathons with this same pattern. My hips like the constant change of pace. When I run consecutively, my hips tend to lock up. In the end, what matters is that you are out there moving.
  • mark2605
    mark2605 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course, I agree with the consulting your doctor recommendation. I took that part as a given.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    GREAT POST! I just downloaded a C25K app yesterday as I've been wanting to try it for awhile. However, I kept remembering how AWFUL my joints felt after only a couple of walk/run sessions. I figured I was still carrying too much weight to do it. But this seems like a great way to physically ease into something that my mind had been ready to do. Thanks so much!
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this, I have never really been able to run, but I might try doing it this way and see how I go.
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful, thank you! I'm not overweight, and not particularly unfit, but I have a massive block with running. It's something I want to do because I enjoy the challenge, but not terribly successful. I'm going to print this off and try it - thank you again :)
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    A couple of additional things I learned doing the C25K and from training for my first 1/2 Marathon...

Do a google search on 'Efficient Running' or 'Chi Running'... It talks about not over stepping when you walk and/or run and landing more with the mid sole (balls of your feet) than your heels. This transfers less impact to your shins, hips and knees and lets your muscles do what they were designed to do- cushion shock. I wore out a pair of running shoes in 300 miles by over heel striking. I feel the pain in my hips after my longer runs- started this technique a week ago and (it was weird at first, but) it has made a huge difference in comfort when I'm running and less pain when I'm finished.

Also, All I've read and experienced a lot about aches and pains while starting and doing the program- listen to your body and take your time! It is normal to feel some discomfort while walking or running. What I mean by this is when I run, I may feel a little discomfort in my knee or ankle for a few minutes. It is not severe pain, but in a couple of minutes it is gone. This is normal. If you feel pain for longer than a few minutes, slow it down and give your body time to heal (take a day of two if necessary). If you keep going, you will risk a bigger injury and longer recovery... not to mention, reinforce negative mental reservations about running!

Running is a great way to lose weight! I started in November 2011 as an overweight non-runner, struggling through the first 60 seconds of the C25K... 320 Miles and 43,000 calories later, I am 3 weeks from my first half marathon. You CAN do this... It takes some knowledge (Research on Google any questions you may have) and willpower (You have to keep going!)

Good luck all (BTW- feel free to friend me if you want support or have any other questions)
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, I'll definitely keep it in mind! I have the C25K app, but always seemed so scared to try it!
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I want to do c25k program but I think I will try this first. Thanks!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I made a 12-week extended version of C25K. The first 5 weeks are pretty much the same, but 6 and on are adjusted to make 0.25 mile increment jumps each workout or every 2 workouts in terms of straight jogging; instead of just going from 1 mile intervals to a 2 mile straight jog.
  • phatty4dayz
    phatty4dayz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Great info. Bump!
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    When I started running I weighted in at 392. I didn't use the C25k program, but did something very similar. I ran a minute then walked a minute with the goal of running 15 to 30 more each week. Running has worked wonders. I have lost 120 with out dieting, just watching my weight and I have ran 2 marathons 3 half marathon and many other races. Running is great and yes fat people can run. You just have to start slow. I also saw a chiropractor when the aches an pains started to last more then just the day of the run.
  • sharonTalwar
    Options
    bump
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lrt4uk
    Lrt4uk Posts: 174
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this! I've wanted to try running for a while, but have felt intimidated and just plain fearful. Thanks!