Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Fairly new to strength fitness & need some advice

fdlafon
fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
I have been getting cardio workouts in for quite some time now, and every so often, I add in some kettle bells, as it was introduced by a co-worker. I do enjoy the kettle bells, but I am really interested in starting to tone!
Can someone help me with some specific workouts for toning my inner and outer thighs, and core?

I've never done strength workouts before, so I am not up on all of the names of everything, but I'm a google pro, so I can find them. :)
I got a suggestion of doing planks and squats from a co-worker, but there has to be more out there!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Squats and deadlifts =)
  • fdlafon
    off to find out what deadlifts are . . . thanks wellbert, I appreciate the suggestion.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Please, please, please watch a lot of videos/read a lot of junk on squats and deadlifts. Proper form is super important.
    Start light, too.

You might want to check out a book for a whole program - like Starting Strength or New Rules.
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Please, please, please watch a lot of videos/read a lot of junk on squats and deadlifts. Proper form is super important.
    Start light, too.

You might want to check out a book for a whole program - like Starting Strength or New Rules.

^^^^^Absolutely this above.
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Buy a couple sessions with a good personal trainer and have them teach you compound lifts.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    P90X's core synergistics routine is a decent core work out too, if you can get your hands on the 1 video.
  • glbragg
    glbragg Posts: 77 Member
    Squats and Deadlifts are the two main exercises. They are entire leg and core workouts. If you want to add another exercise then consider lunges.
  • fdlafon
    Getting a few lessons with a personal trainer is a great idea! I'll have to look into that, and see how expensive it is.

I will definitely start light, I don't want to hurt myself.

How many days a week do you do strength workouts vs. cardio? Or do you all do both?
    I'm trying to put together a normal workout regimen, so I know how much time I need each day for workouts.

Also, how many reps are good to start with?