better than WW

Options
I have accepted a challenge and need help. I have a friend on WW and she keeps urging me to join. I told her to give me one week on my own and if I don't lose TWO pounds, I will join WW. I don't want to join WW. I looked at the point counting system and it looks complicated, and like way to much work. MFP is so easy and the mobile app is a breeze.

But I need support to be successful and win the challenge.

Need friends

Thanks.

Replies

• sshetland
    sshetland Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    One week? Try MFP for a week, I'm sure you'll get hooked and you'll be the one convincing your friend to come spend no money over here. Welcome :)
  • todayiwillfly
    Options
    I've already downloaded the mobile app and started tracking....it does look so easy. I am doing MFP until I get to my goal weight. The WW challenge is just to get started and prove to her that all that point counting is (for me) unbalanced.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't lose 2lbs at the end of the week, don't join WW against your wishes.

It's your life you are talking about, do what you want with it, including MFP. WW costs money. I'd tell your friend, "if you really want me to join, then pay for me."
  • Jstewartdesigns
    Jstewartdesigns Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm dong both to compare. The majority of the time I'm under my calorie limit on MFP but over on WW points. I don't really understand how you can lose weight on WW when you have all these PLUS POINTS that you can use in a week also. I think I'm going to cancel my online subscription to WW and stick with MFP.
  • jrnygirl
    jrnygirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your first week. Be sure to stay within your calories. Cutting down on carbs and sugars will help quite a bit.
    I've just started up again this week (Monday) and I'm already down 2.4 lbs. I've kept my calories under 1200 (that's my calorie allocation on here) and I've started working out for 50min each day (M, T & Th so far). The workouts are a mixture of cardio and strengthening and are in a fast-paced type of circuit training.
    If you workout at least 4-5 times this week and keep within calorie limits, you should be able to meet your first week goal. Keep in mind though, that on some weeks you will feel like you've hit a plateau and then the next week you will drop again.
    Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • todayiwillfly
    Options
    oh yeah...forgot to mention that she has lost over 40 pounds and gone ahead and given me all her "fat clothes"....which I appreciate, but now I'm even more motivated to lose my weight.
  • jobelle217
    jobelle217 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the WW plan.....the old one. I tried to re-join last year-after having my baby- (after they came out with the new points plus) and hated the new system. It's too complicated-too much effort...I didn't have time to learn this whole new plan.

IMO, it's easier to just track your calories if you have a good tracker.

Good luck to you.....imo, don't waste your money on WW. MFP is FREE :)
  • HealthyHappyVegan
    Options
    Don't do WW. I did WW myself for months before discovering MFP. MFP is 100x easier and I've gotten better results, and a better outlook on exercise and everything along with it :)
  • todayiwillfly
    Options
    Be sure to stay within your calories. Cutting down on carbs and sugars will help quite a bit.
    I've just started up again this week (Monday) and I'm already down 2.4 lbs. I've kept my calories under 1200

I've given myself 1300 but planned not to count fruit and veg like the WW folks. Hmmmm maybe I've set it too high in that case.
  • sig1238
    sig1238 Posts: 16
    Options
    I've been a frequent WW joiner in the past. It's a fine program, and I did lose weight. But I found myself fixating on food to the point of obsession, which made maintenance a problem. I also grew tired of the expense and the meetings. MFP is a much better fit for me.
  • JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My tip? Drink plenty of water :) Have faith in yourself that you can do it
  • teenytinii
    teenytinii Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    oh yeah...forgot to mention that she has lost over 40 pounds and gone ahead and given me all her "fat clothes"....which I appreciate, but now I'm even more motivated to lose my weight.

THIS is motivation. my sister and i were always the same size or she was smaller - then i packed on the lbs and she lost a lot and i got her fat clothes. NO THANK YOU lol totally needed the motivation.

anyways, i love it here and have just started adding friends. it makes a world of difference to have people giving you support and being able to help others! you will love it here :)
  • taratnusa
    taratnusa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have done WW in the past with success but have found that MFP if MUCH MUCH easier and free. It was also recommended by my Doctor. I have been doing it for a week and a half and have lost over 2lbs. I have exercised 3 times this week. This is by far the easiest program I've used and the mobile ap is fabulous too. WW is good but more complicated and most of all not free!
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    WW cost money, both in weekly fees and fuel / fares to get there
    Why pay someone to tell you what to eat when you can get the advice here for free?
  • jennys11
    jennys11 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    What I didn't like about WW is that fruit/veggies are 'free'. Fruits/veggies are calories and it should be counted. I'm vegan so i eat lots of fruits/veggies. When I did WW I wasn't losing because I was eating a lot of fruits/veggies and counting is at zero. But on MFP, I count them as calories and know exactly how many calories I am eating. Counting calories vs points is similar in terms of counting. You are counting something. I suggest counting calories so you know exactly how many calories you are eating. Don't forget to exercise at least 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. The more you exercise, the more you get to eat. :)
  • chrissysilk
    chrissysilk Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have done both. Weight watchers is ok butnnot the best. I lost some weight but I lost more doing this stuff than that. You can add me if you would like
  • stephie4111
    stephie4111 Posts: 118
    Options
    I have been on ww for a year and have lost 39 pounds. Im also doing mfp because i started a new fitness program and want to see how my calorie intake is. ww does work i have many friends who have lost a tremendous amount on the program.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have accepted a challenge and need help. I have a friend on WW and she keeps urging me to join. I told her to give me one week on my own and if I don't lose TWO pounds, I will join WW. I don't want to join WW. I looked at the point counting system and it looks complicated, and like way to much work. MFP is so easy and the mobile app is a breeze.

But I need support to be successful and win the challenge.

Need friends

Thanks.

The points aren't really that much more complicated than calorie counting. It becomes second nature.

However, WW is basically calorie counting that you pay for, so I see no reason you can't have the same success here as you would there. VERY FEW people lose 2 pounds a week on WW or here. That's in reality a lot of weight to lose in a week, unless it's at the very beginning.
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    :tongue: Tell her if she wants you to join so badly, SHE needs to pay for it!

Welcome to MFP! You'll love it here!
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I was on WW and didn't loose nearly as much I have on here, in the same amount of time! The people here are so great and supportive! Stick with us and you'll loose a lot!