Anyone know any recipes for my condition?

I need more fiber in my diet. Anyone know any good recipes to help regulate your digestive system for a smoother "exit" ? No hard grains pls...

Replies

• janenightingale
    janenightingale Posts: 55 Member
    Add fresh raspberries tp whole grain cereal
  • Reban060
    Reban060 Posts: 23
    Eat broccoli and cauliflower! You can either add them into almost any food that you're making (pies, stews, casseroles, salads etc) or steam/boil them and have them as a sidedish. Delicious and packed with fiber and lots of vitamines and minerals :)
    Also, replace your rice with quinoa, which is also a good source of protein.
    Good luck!
  • Hairhacker
    Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
    Fruits and veggies...and then more fruits and veggies....
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    rhubarb.

dried fruit
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    beans beans the magical fruit...

but yeah, fruit and veg
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Dried sugar plums (ok, prunes). And water, lots of water. I'm naturally somewhat of a camel and so had to learn that the hard way.
  • Probiotics, fermented foods (sauerkraut), green smoothies (spinach, blueberries, banana), (spinach, parsley, apple, carrot, beet)

This stuff really helps me, and I also drink alot of water, Oh yeah and flax seeds or chia seeds!!!
  • kaybelmore
    kaybelmore Posts: 124
    Lots of fruits and veggies (tho avoid bananas and black raspberries as they remedy the opposite problem). Avoid white rice and high pectin foods as well.

You may also want to try Greek yogurt or keifer (yogurt based drink) for the natural probiotics that regulate your system.

Sunsweet also makes individually wrapped prunes, 1 day and my system is back to normal in like 3 days :)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    I have IBS, and found that generally things that are easier to digest work better. Watch out for hard to digest vegetables!

Check out Heater's Tummy Care, she has a cooking for IBS cookbook that is GREAT and full of easy to digest food.

Roasted edamame are like magic little fiber pills. They got me through some rough spots.
  • Try using Metamucil the Orange Smooth ONLY. Just drink it fast after you stir it well and to let you know it tastes like Tang.
    If you use this you will be so glad you did.
    Eating more vegetables will help you along to.
    I know you will be happy with the Metamucil. I have turned many people on it and they can't tell me how much they love the stuff and it had calcium in too. Good luck to you.

flowersgalore76
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    My husband has Crohn's and previously have his colon removed. He's okay with fruit smoothies, whole grain bread (there are whole grain "white" breads with no seeds on top), roasted brussel sprouts, malt-o-meal, fiber one cereal (caramel delight is esp. good!), stir-fried veggies, stone-fruits without their skins, metamucil fiber "crackers" are pretty decent and fiber one snack bars, otherwise yellow and red lentils are both relatively quick to cook (as indian daal), require no soaking (just a good rinse in cold water) and have a low chance of making you gassy and are PACKED full of fiber...OH! And Crystal Light, CVS, Benefiber and Archer Farms (found at Target here in Chicago) make tasty and delicious "fiber" waters with between 2-3 grams of water-soluble fiber per 16oz glass.

*I'm sure their are other brands of fiber water, but we haven't tried them yet.*

Hope this helps!
  • Johnni0923
    Johnni0923 Posts: 14 Member
    Take fiber tablets. There are some great ones on the market. no gas forming, ask your pharmacy.
  • Thanks guys for your help... more veg and fruits and oats with metamucil... imma really feel good :D
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Don't forget to bump up your water intake as you increase your fibre - otherwise things won't be moving too "smoothly"!
  • livelifeloud18
    livelifeloud18 Posts: 2 Member
    I second the chia and flax seeds comment!

Chia seeds are pretty expensive ($15/lb) but you don't need to grind them or anything. It's really easy to add them to oatmeal, smoothies, yogurt, baked goods, granola, etc. They have a bit of a crunch but otherwise you'll never notice they're in there!

Flax seeds are much more reasonable (like $3/lb) and you can buy either whole seeds or flax meal in the natural section of the grocery store. My Kroger carries the Bob's Red Mill brand of both the meal and the whole seeds. You can grind the seeds or use the meal in just about anything!