Sweet Potato "Fries"

Options
aerome
aerome Posts: 171 Member
Ingredients:
sweet potato(es)
roast potato seasoning (I just get the kind in the produce area at Wal-Mart, but I'm sure if you searched the seasoning aisle in other stores you could find some)
cooking spray
oil (whichever kind you like)

Pre-heat oven to 375-400.
Wash and cut your sweet potato(es) into french fry type strips.
Put them on a baking pan and spray with cooking spray. Mix the seasoning with oil according to package directions (you could probably omit the oil depending on how much spray you use) and drizzle or sprinkle over the potatoes. I kind of stir the potatoes around on the sheet in attempt to get at least a little seasoning on all of them.
Pop in the oven for 15 minutes.
Stir them around.
Pop back in for 15 more minutes or until they are all soft. (time depends on how thin you cut them. sometimes I make them a little chunkier if I'm in the mood...)
Eat! Be careful, they're kind of addictive! And they reheat really well. :happy:

Nutrition depends on what kind of oil and seasoning you use, but here's the info for sweet potatoes.

1 raw medium sweet potato 2" diameter, 5" long:
103 cals
0g fat
0mg cholesterol
41mg sodium
24g carb
4g fiber
7g sugar
2g protein

Replies

• aerome
    Options
    I probably should add that I keep the skins on. It's supposedly the healthiest part!
  • FINALLY4ME
    FINALLY4ME Posts: 643
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmm:tongue:
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    YumMmMy!!!
    I love these things....... :love: :heart: :love:
    Totally addicting!!!! :sad: :bigsmile: :sad:
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I just made some with salt and pepper seasoning the were so gooooooood
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I bought a silicone pastry brush - you can get them at walmart - looks like a rubber paint brush, and it 'paints' oil onto things so nicely, then the sweet potatoes would hold the seasoning really well.
  • ystrachan
    Options
    These are great. Trader Joe's sells the pre cut sweet potato wedges-- you can add a bit of oil and seasoning and just pop in the oven.
  • nobleps
    nobleps Posts: 95
    Options
    Thanks! yum..gonna try these! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe too.
    Cut into fry wedges
    put on cookie sheet sprayed with Pam
    Season with salt, paprika, chile powder, and cumin-mixed together. Try 1/2 tsp each, mix together and add more of what you like. Cook at 375 or so and flip, for about 15 min I think. They are not that crispy, but good. I added a cajun spice after too. Sooo good.
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I tried these for the first time a few weeks ago at the campus cafeteria, and I was surprised how good "sweet" fries are! :tongue:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    oh my goodness, may have to try these tonight with my morningstar black bean burger!!!
    :wink:
  • Hate2bfat
    Options
    Sounds really good! :happy:
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    oh my goodness, may have to try these tonight with my morningstar black bean burger!!!

MMMM... I love those black bean burgers sooo much! Sweet potato fries and a black bean burger! Take that fast food!!! :laugh:
  • willywonka
    Options
    aren't those burgers delicious?? I LOVE THEM :heart:

MMMM... I love those black bean burgers sooo much! Sweet potato fries and a black bean burger! Take that fast food!!! :laugh:
  • willywonka
    Options
    OH MY GOSH- I just finished dinner and these things are amazing!!!

I didn't use any oil, just sprayed a cookie sheet with pam, did 1/2 the fries with sea salt and chili power and 1/2 with brown sugar splenda- seriously the best food I have had in a while!!!

Thank you SO much, and they went so well with my black bean burger :flowerforyou:
  • MilaJade
    Options
    i ate this all the time in the MS...sooo goood.... :)
  • aerome
    Options
    OH MY GOSH- I just finished dinner and these things are amazing!!!

I didn't use any oil, just sprayed a cookie sheet with pam, did 1/2 the fries with sea salt and chili power and 1/2 with brown sugar splenda- seriously the best food I have had in a while!!!

Thank you SO much, and they went so well with my black bean burger :flowerforyou:

I'm glad you liked them!!! :happy:
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options
    I love these:love: I can eat my 'french fries' now:wink:

I use to make them with red potatoes but i would feel guilty about eating 'white' foods :ohwell: So, I tried these about two months ago and fell in love:smile:

I usually spinkle with salt and pepper and spray the pan and the tops of the fries with pam spray..they come out some yummy:smile:
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe too.
    Cut into fry wedges
    put on cookie sheet sprayed with Pam
    Season with salt, paprika, chile powder, and cumin-mixed together. Try 1/2 tsp each, mix together and add more of what you like. Cook at 375 or so and flip, for about 15 min I think. They are not that crispy, but good. I added a cajun spice after too. Sooo good.
    Sounds so delicious. I have sweet potatoes-so I'm going to try it. Thanks!
  • willywonka
    Options
    bump
  • jdp21
    jdp21 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Oooo, these sound awesome. I'm marking this topic so I can find it another time. I'ma try 'em and return with my report later in the week.