better than WW

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! I did weight watchers and my God it WORKS.. BUT... it's depressing. Constantly counting and weighing and you're so limited with weight watchers with the points system. I'm doing Lite n Easy and that works brilliantly, I eat soooo much but MFP is what really motivates me, seeing how much I've consumed and knowing how much I should burn is amazingly helpful. Weight watchers made me depressed, and broke.

**EDIT**
    Obviously you have to track you food anyway on but with MFP at least pretty much EVERYTHING is listed for you lol So easy.

Do you have any idea how many times I've looked up a food in the MFP database and the NI was wrong?
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers from Jan-Jun and lost 20 lbs before I got pregnant with my daughter. Now my daughter is 2. In January I started mpf at the same weight as I did with weight watchers. I have lost 14 lbs. When I first started MPF I was also trying weight watchers and was finding that getting my points was putting me at about 900 calories somedays. So I am right on track with MPF and it is so much easier.
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Count everything. Fruit can have much more calories than you think. Take a large-ish (about 100 grams) banana. It has around 100 calories. Would you not track a 100 calorie cookie?? No you would track the 100 calorie cookie, so track the 100 calorie banana.

I love my gram scale for fruit. Yes, it takes a little bit more time, but I like how accurate it is.
  • miniragtop
    miniragtop Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree! I lost 70 lbs on the old WW plan but steadily gained weight when they changed the plan. The new plan is just so much more complicated than the old plan. I started MFP about 2 months ago and honestly started keeping track of everything on MFP about 3 weeks ago and I've already lost 5lbs of the weight I gained on the new WW plan.
  • sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! I did weight watchers and my God it WORKS.. BUT... it's depressing. Constantly counting and weighing and you're so limited with weight watchers with the points system. I'm doing Lite n Easy and that works brilliantly, I eat soooo much but MFP is what really motivates me, seeing how much I've consumed and knowing how much I should burn is amazingly helpful. Weight watchers made me depressed, and broke.

**EDIT**
    Obviously you have to track you food anyway on but with MFP at least pretty much EVERYTHING is listed for you lol So easy.

Do you have any idea how many times I've looked up a food in the MFP database and the NI was wrong?

Can't say I've EVER had that problem.
  • rml_16
    Options

**EDIT**

Do you double check packaging against the MFP entry? I do every time I log something for the first time and a lot of the entries are way off.
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Surely the reason for losing weight is not only to look good but to be healthier. I have tried WW in the past - quite a few times and have always found that it does work - but after a loss of about 20 pounds I have lost my motivation. I decided quite a while ago never again to pay a slimming club to tell me what I already know - eating less calories & exercising more = weight loss. MFP makes you take responsibility for yourself - for your calorie intake but also for your health. YOU get to decide what to eat and how much - not a slimming club leader ... you answer only to yourself. IMO this means you are more likely not only to lose the weight but more importantly to keep it off and have a healthier lifestyle than you would if you rely on somebody else telling you what to do and how to do it. I for one plan to keep on with MFP it is a godsend!
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    So everyone is says MFP over WW. But when you are staying UNDER or AT your calorie goal and not losing then what????
  • sazroy
    Options

**EDIT**

Do you double check packaging against the MFP entry? I do every time I log something for the first time and a lot of the entries are way off.

Yep sure do. I'm on lite n easy and always double check that whoever added the food did so correctly, and add alot of the food myself also. Always been accurate so far. And when it is accurate I always say yes to the "Is this information accurate", some things miss out on the fibre etc, which as someone who suffers IBS I wish people would add the fibre when they put in new foods but other than that the calories are always right. For me, at least.
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options

I switched from WW....the education you receive about nutrition here is way better than what you get on WW

In what way?
    [/quote]

May I ask if you were so much more successful on WW ......why are you here?
  • sazroy
    Options
    So everyone is says MFP over WW. But when you are staying UNDER or AT your calorie goal and not losing then what????

Up calories or up exercise. I was on 1200 a day and doing 30 mins to 1hr of exercise and not losing weight. Stayed with same exercise but upped to 1500cals a day and 1.1kgs in 6 days.
  • daniejarvis
    daniejarvis Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was ,well still signed up on WW and honestly I love this waaaaaaay better. I felt like i wasnt losing anything and since i started MFP i have lost- Wahhooo!!
  • sazroy
    Options

**EDIT**

May I ask if you were so much more successful on WW ......why are you here?

Never said I was "so much more successful on WW"

Lite n Easy has been what's really worked for me. So not sure what you're asking.
  • BonnieLL
    BonnieLL Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I joined 12 days ago and have lost 4 lbs. MFP is helping me become more mindful about my eating habits. Exercise is the easy part for me ... but since I LOVE FOOD, being more aware of my choices and portions is necessary for me to lose!
    WHAT ARE PEOPLES THOUGHTS ON ... Diet Soda?
  • sazroy
    Options
    Hi. I joined 12 days ago and have lost 4 lbs. MFP is helping me become more mindful about my eating habits. Exercise is the easy part for me ... but since I LOVE FOOD, being more aware of my choices and portions is necessary for me to lose!

I drink only water but when out to dinner with family (either out or at their houses) I'll have a glass of Pepsi Max or two but that's about it. I used to drink diet soft drinks often, but now that I've stopped I notice when I do drink them I become bloated quite quickly.
  • rml_16
    Options

**EDIT**

Yep sure do. I'm on lite n easy and always double check that whoever added the food did so correctly, and add alot of the food myself also. Always been accurate so far. And when it is accurate I always say yes to the "Is this information accurate", some things miss out on the fibre etc, which as someone who suffers IBS I wish people would add the fibre when they put in new foods but other than that the calories are always right. For me, at least.

You must have better luck than I, then.

And you said in a previous post how you had to add a lot of foods on WW and you didn't like that. But you just said you're doing the same here.

I'm trying to figure out, other than price (and the fact you're apparently doing another diet altogether, anyway), what's different from WW to MFP?

And to clarify, I did the old WW plan (Momentum). I don't think the free fruit on PointsPlus is a good idea and it seems to not work as well for people who have less to lose. I don't care what diet people do. My issue is the immense amount of misinformation that gets thrown around WW threads on this board.

There's nothing wrong with MFP, but there's also nothing inherently better about it beyond the part where it's free.
  • kazhowe
    Options
    oops forgot to quote :laugh:
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Lite n Easy has been what's really worked for me. So not sure what you're asking.

I was talking to someone else. I misquoted.
  • rml_16
    Options

I was talking to someone else. I misquoted.

Did you mean me?

I stopped using WW online for tracking because of the cost. I have an electronic tracker and I was using MFP as my place to "write it down." I was still doing WW for a while after I came here, just not paying for it.

Now I'm not really doing anything because of many reasons, but WW worked better for me than calorie counting, and I did try both.

That's not to say others won't have a different experience.
  • kazhowe
    Options

Is diet soda really good for you?? Personally I prefer to have either water or fruit tea - I hate the thought of the chemicals and additives that are in these drinks anyway - but I read an article recently that seemed to indicate that these drinks can actually make you put weight on ... how true this is I really don't know.