Low Iron - looking for advice

Options

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    An iron supplement is not a drug, please by all means, take one, it will change your life! It is small and inexpensive.

I was crazy anemic and could not believe the change in that one little tiny iron supplement made in my life. Its fast and easy, and does not require a day of planning how I can get more iron in my diet.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Chocolate, I posted a thread earlier on it!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Just as vitamin c increases the absorption of iron, there are also foods that block the absorption of iron--like whole grains, eggs, dairy, and tea.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Like others have said: leafy greens (spinach) fish (tuna, sardines) meats (red meat, livers).

But an easy one is Cheerios! 1 cup = 100 cals and about 50% DV Iron

I was looking to up my iron intake a while back, and a handful of cheerios in the morning was an easy solution

Really?! May have to get some to have in my snack stash at work for low-iron days. Thanks for the tip!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Just as vitamin c increases the absorption of iron, there are also foods that block the absorption of iron--like whole grains, eggs, dairy, and tea.

Ugh, I'm beginning to dislike the PA I went to...she did not mention foods that block absorption. Thank you for this. I will do more research on my own as well, but I do appreciate all the comments posted. (well, maybe not Koosdel, but we won't go there).
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I am borderline anemic and I try to make sure I get my fill of iron rich foods. Cream of wheat is surprisingly loaded with iron. If you cook that up with some molasses, you are at nearly 60% of your daily intake of iron. I also add some berries on the side to help with the absorption of it. I am a vegetarian so I eat more lentils, beans, brown rice, quinoa, spinach and whatever else is loaded with iron. As people said, adding more vitamin C helps with the absorption of iron found in non meat sources.
  • ChristinaOlliver
    ChristinaOlliver Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Seaweed is becoming really popular at the moment as it's really high in iron, something like 23 times more than a steak. You can get seaweed flakes that you can sprinkle on food if you don't want to eat it in any other form.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Raisins, prunes and prune juice are also high in iron (and sugar).
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Ugh, I'm beginning to dislike the PA I went to...she did not mention foods that block absorption. Thank you for this. I will do more research on my own as well, but I do appreciate all the comments posted. (well, maybe not Koosdel, but we won't go there).
    If health care providers are going to suggest iron supplements, then they need to also tell you the ways to maximize the effectiveness and minimize the unpleasantness! Big pet peeve of mine. Doctors and nurses know these things (I am a nurse), they are just often so busy and rushing to get to the next patient that they don't take the time to do all the teaching.
    And then they don't like it when we google and treat ourselves. :laugh:
  • serhanilker
    Options
    Foods that are rich in essential nutrients include:

Iron - red meat, liver, green vegetables, eggs, dried apricots, sardines, spinach, fortified breakfast cereals, wholemeal bread
    Vitamin B12 - meat, poultry, fish, eggs, milk, cheese, fortified breakfast cereals
    Folic acid - wheatgerm, broccoli, green cabbage, pulses, nuts, yeast extract

It's also important to have plenty of vitamin C because it helps the body to absorb iron from the diet.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    beets too. I am unfortunately unable to absorb iron from my food so will start getting iron infusions every month at the end of this month. Absorbing through your food is the best. You can also get a juicer and juice a bunch of beets, spinach, carrots and an orange for absorbtion. I tried everything. No milk or cafeine around eating iron. So if you are going to eat cream of wheat do not eat it with dairy or it will not absorb. Good luck!!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Red meat and green leafy vegetables have a lot of iron, but a good trick is to eat those along with vitamin c (orange juice, tomatoes, etc). The vitamin C naturally helps your body absorb more of the iron from the food. This is a trick I picked up from the American Red Cross.

I agree. Everyone shuns beef these days, but I feel sooooo much better when I eat it. It wasn’t until well into my 30s that I discovered I was borderline anemic.
  • Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use a cast-iron frying pan and teapot. When I gave blood I was told that my iron levels were really good. And steak also :drinker:

^^^This....it's an easy way to get Iron without taking pills......
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I am very anemic, and have managed to get my levels up with a green juice that has spinach, brocolli tops, etc and a beet juice supplement. If you don't want to sit there and eat 12 lbs of veggies every day, either juicing or a juice supplement will help. I mix mine with a vitamin C juice that is orange flavored, and it is very tasty.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    eggs have iron in them and do not block iron absorbtion, neither do grains. Just milk and caffeine you should avoid while taking iron for around an hour or so before or afterwards. Quinoa and cinnamon have iron in it too and vitamin c does help with absorbtion.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Chili. The beans and meat have the iron and the tomatoes/tomato sauce contain Vitamin C to help with absorption.
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Dark green veggies. Spinach, Greens, etc. That's what the doc said to eat around that time of the month to increase iron levels.
  • ryall70
    ryall70 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i did not read through all of the advice but avoid tea, it blocks iron absorption. Take your supplement with oj though :)
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Yeah, caffeine blocks iron absorption. Other than spinach, kale is a really good option (kale rocks). Make some green smoothies. If you have molasses, make sure it's black strap molasses. Good luck!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Chewable Flintstone complete vitamin has 100% iron in it