Very Scared!! (first 5k)

Options
ok, its not my first 5k, its my first running the whole thing. I decided last min to do it. and I am very scared I will be the last one to cross the finish line, and that I won't be able to run the whole thing... my tummy is turning just thinking about it... I am scared I will be really slow, (which I am, I only run about 15 min mile avg) but I am scared I will be even slower than that... But I am gonna do it, and be proud...

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    But I am gonna do it, and be proud...
    Great attitude. You'll be fine. Here's a secret. Even the people at the front feel that way before the race starts.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared. Try to just relax, enjoy it, and do the best you can. I doubt very much you'll be the last one home (though, I had the same fear when I did my first 10k a few weeks ago). But even if you are, so what? Last is still a place. Trying is what matters, and finishing is a huge achievement.
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Stop beating yourself up. Many, many, many people run and walk during the races. The important thing is that you set your goal to finish, and don't worry about anything other than finishing. You cross that finish line no matter what. Trust me, the race officials will not take the finish line and clock down until the last runner comes through, and I promise that there will be people there cheering you on.

Go do it, and enjoy it!!! Let us know how it goes!

Greg
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on doing my first ever at the end of this month. I also intend on running the whole thing and am nervous. I'm about to finish the C25K program tomorrow...but I'm still worried. 3.1 miles is a long way for someone who had never even done 1/4 miles prior to 3 months ago.
  • Ellie3990
    Ellie3990 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am doing 5k for the Race For Life for Breast Cancer on 13th May. I am not a runner, haven't really been running or training much but I have been improving my fitness by doing fitness dvds and swimming and watching what I eat to lose some weight, I will be taking to going jogging a few times a week in the coming weeks- maybe If I'm lighter it will help me go faster?! Haha. I will probably walk a good part of it but I thought I'd give it a shot for a good cause!

Good luck with your 5k!
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You will be fine! I was that way with my first one but once I started running I loved it!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You won't be last! Last May I did my first 5k and I had to walk some of it, but I still finished in 38 minutes even though prior to that it was taking about 42-43 minutes. The excitement of the other racers will boost you up and you'll do better than you think!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Relax, have fun, and enjoy the experience and accomplishment. And remember, you will not be last. The people sitting at home and not doing anything are all way behind you!
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on doing my first ever at the end of this month. I also intend on running the whole thing and am nervous. I'm about to finish the C25K program tomorrow...but I'm still worried. 3.1 miles is a long way for someone who had never even done 1/4 miles prior to 3 months ago.

Congratulations on finishing the C25K program! I am sure that you will do fine - pace yourself. If you have to walk, walk! You will find many people ONLY walking. Just finish it - cross that finish line and tell yourself that you did it!!! You finished a 5K. You will experience a feeling that cannot be explained, and you will be eager to sign up for another race very soon!

Good luck.

Greg
  • landorki
    landorki Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    use this one as your base line.... next 5k, try and beat this time... then so on and so forth.

this time of year is great! there are so many runs out there! use it as a training tool!

you will do great!
  • k9runner1963
    k9runner1963 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared! Look at it this way: No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone on the couch!!! Even if you were to come in last, you are doing something for your health! Go for it!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    DO IT. I just signed up for my first 5k in July and well, I'm scared too! I haven't run in years and yesterday I was able to run for 8 minutes straight.
    Just do it!! walk run crawl, but at least you've done what MOST people don't even think they have a chance of doing. It's awesome that you can do this.

Good luck and enjoy your achievements!
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    You'll do great! The energy from all of the other runners will motivate you! Also the runners are so supportive & encouraging....Every runner there had to run their 1st 5K at somepoint so they know the feeling!

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    You'll be faster than the people on the couch.

Most important thing is to *have fun*. I was a bundle of nerves for my first one last year. Relaxed, and just enjoyed the experience. Was totally worth it.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    It's normal to be nervous before a race...if it's your 1st or 500th. Try to relax and have fun. There will be people there of all levels and most likely you will not be last...but even if you are..so what? You did it, right? And that's more than most people can say.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    It does not matter how slow you go as long as you do not stop.
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first one last Sunday. I know the jitters you are feeling. As long as you pace yourself, you will be fine. There will be a lot of first timers there as well. Just enjoy urself and enjoy the scenery. There will literally be a lot of great volunteers cheering you on each step of the way.
  • IzzieLee
    IzzieLee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just remember, it's about finishing, preferably in an upright position (that came from a trainer I know before a recent 10K I did)! Also, no matter how fast or slow you go, you will be faster than all those people sitting on their couches!! Good luck and be sure to post how you do!!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted. I just finished C25K today, and my first 5k race is next Saturday! I'm already nervous, but trying not to be, lol. I know you'll do fine! :wink:
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am running my first 5k this summer as well. I am a super competitive person, so I instantly thought "I don't want to be last!" But you need to step back and think of the reason you are doing this. For me, this is a personal thing. I am doing this for me. And if I come in last, then I come in last. I will be proud that I finished, because there was a point not too long ago that I couldn't even run a mile. So just do your best and forget the rest!