1200 calorie questions

Options
First off, who does this and actually succeeds?
What sort of low calorie things can you eat with this amount of calories?
How many times a day do you eat?
What amount of exercise if you are doing any at all? (How many times, and duration please).

I am increasing my amount of lbs to lose per week to try something different.

Replies

• justnotthatcreative
    justnotthatcreative Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am doing it, not sure what you mean by succeed but I lose weight on it.
    I usually eat oats or eggs for breakfast, something around 150 cals for morning tea, chicken and veg at lunch, another snack or two before dinner then a large tuna and veg salad for dinner.. if you eat the right foods you can eat 5-6 times a day.

I am currently working to 1200 cals net so if i have a big exercise day i just eat more to cover it. At the moment I am more concerned with improving my fitness.. hope this helps
  • lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I do. I don't always stick to eating only 1200 calories. When MFP gives you a goal of 1200 calories, it's a goal of 1200 NET calories. If I exercise, I need to eat more calories. Staying within the 1200 range of net calories is what keeps me from gaining weight or going into starvation mode. My typical meal is 300-400 calories (3 x's a day) with snacks (1-2 x's a day) between 300-400 calories. I've managed to lose 18 lbs, shrink a few inches and gain some muscle (I have body scans done to determine lean muscle mass and fat mass).
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I netted 1200, and ate 5 times a day.

Morning: Yogurt, oatmeal, cereal w/skim milk, eggs, or a protein shake
    Lunch: Chicken w/brown rice and brocolli, or tuna fish, or a big salad with chicken
    2 Snacks: combinations of Olives, hummus w/pita chips, mixed deluxe nuts mostly.
    Dinner: Chicken breasts, fish, sweet potatoes, brown rice, an occasional steak, beer

I worked out 5 days a week and burned between 400-500 calories.
  • DeanDMac
    DeanDMac Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit and vegetables make all the difference. They provide sufficient bulk to satisfy with eggs, chicken, turkey or fish for three meals and two or three snacks. For instance, lots of fresh mushroom and a bit of chopped tomato will really bulk a couple of eggs up in the morning. For lunch and dinner fish in foil with squash, carrots, green onion, basil, lemon zest and some sun-dried tomato is wonderful. How about spaghetti squash with a fresh vegetable laden marinara. Or zucchini boats anyone? Take a large zucchini and boil it for five minutes, cut in half along the length and scoop out the inside (I like to use a melon baller), then add your favorite spicing and even a little meat if you need it, pack it all back in the shell and bake for 30 minutes at 325. I like to use feta, about an eighth of a pound of 97% lean turkey that I brown up, some cured lemon rind, some bok choy, and a few chopped grape leaves, with oregano and pepper (folks can salt to taste, but I do love to add a bit of anchovy paste when it is just the wife and I). Soups are wonderful ways to fill up for little caloric intake - try a gumbo with lots of tomato, okra and seafood - done well and without too much of a roux base you can easily come in far under 100 calories a cup. Good luck, once you stop thinking of pasta, rice, potato and bread as the basis of every meal, it starts to come easier and easier...

Oh and I eat at least 1200 calories, but often net far less. I have dropped 54 pounds just watching what I eat and assuring I eat at least 1200 to keep out of starvation mode and exercising at least four times a week for a minimum of thirty minutes. When we hike on weekends, etc., I make sure I do not leave more than 1000 calories out there, but I eat until I am sated and avoid unhealthy foods (though I will splurge when I have built up a big calorie deficit hiking or such and have something high calorie but still healthy - cheesy goodness, etc.) and I don't have any issues right now (the success far exceeds the temptation at this point).
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at a 1,200 calorie a day restriction and it seems to be working. Here is my usual meal plan on weekdays:
    - For breakfast, I usually have an egg white omelet (no butter-I use Pam to grease the pan), with either a slice or two of wheat bread (depending on how hungry I am) or an egg white omelet with one slice of ham and no toast and a cup of coffee with Splenda and Fat Free half & half
    -Lunch is usually light - a with Fat Free or low fat salad dressing and a coffee (same as above) - the coffee seems to sustain me until after work
    -After work snack (around 5:30-6:00 pm) - Choose from fruit, veggies with low fat hummus (my own recipe), 2-3 rice cakes or a Dannon Light n Fit 6 oz yogurt
    - Dinner - I usually eat whatever is still within my calorie limits - I love to cook so I will usually make something healthy - chicken breasts with veggies and whole wheat pasta (small portion) or just veggies and skip the pasta, fish tacos (grilled or baked, never fried and not breaded) with lettuce, diced tomatoes or fresh salsa on a whole wheat tortilla or if I just really crave the crunch, 2 hard taco shells (like Ortega or Taco Bell brand that come boxed)

Like another poster said, some days when I have time to work out I will eat back my exercise calories so that I net the 1,200. I try very hard to never eat less than that.

In summary, it really is possible but takes a little planning and it is difficult if you are someone who eats out a lot. I don't, so for me it has been very doable. Hope this is helpful.
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at a 1,200 calorie a day restriction and it seems to be working. Here is my usual meal plan on weekdays:
    - For breakfast, I usually have an egg white omelet (no butter-I use Pam to grease the pan), with either a slice or two of wheat bread (depending on how hungry I am) or an egg white omelet with one slice of ham and no toast and a cup of coffee with Splenda and Fat Free half & half
    -Lunch is usually light - a with Fat Free or low fat salad dressing and a coffee (same as above) - the coffee seems to sustain me until after work
    -After work snack (around 5:30-6:00 pm) - Choose from fruit, veggies with low fat hummus (my own recipe), 2-3 rice cakes or a Dannon Light n Fit 6 oz yogurt
    - Dinner - I usually eat whatever is still within my calorie limits - I love to cook so I will usually make something healthy - chicken breasts with veggies and whole wheat pasta (small portion) or just veggies and skip the pasta, fish tacos (grilled or baked, never fried and not breaded) with lettuce, diced tomatoes or fresh salsa on a whole wheat tortilla or if I just really crave the crunch, 2 hard taco shells (like Ortega or Taco Bell brand that come boxed)

Like another poster said, some days when I have time to work out I will eat back my exercise calories so that I net the 1,200. I try very hard to never eat less than that.

In summary, it really is possible but takes a little planning and it is difficult if you are someone who eats out a lot. I don't, so for me it has been very doable. Hope this is helpful.

P.S. I meant a salad for lunch .. Accidentally deleted "salad"... Also my exercise includes either 30 minutes on the stationary bike, a 40-minute Zumba dvd, Women's Health Total Workout in Ten dvd (4 ten-minute routines that you can pick and choose from) or a 20- minute hike or long walk.
  • Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options
    I net UNDER 1200 and see a slight decrease in hip and waist size but no decrease in weight yet.
  • mslh84
    mslh84 Posts: 180
    Options
    Thank you everybody so far. I am certainly going to write all tips and ideas down!!! My only downfall is that I don't eat seafood except for tuna...the smell of seafood makes me sick!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I am usually either at or under 1,200 calories. Lately I've been netting under because I've added more cardio to my routine. I have yet to find myself starving eating this way. I eat when I'm hungry and it's more voluminous and fibrous foods that fill me and satisfy me.

With that said this is not really something I plan to maintain for a long period of time because there's no way I"d be able to sustain it and stay healthy.
  • fordgal41
    fordgal41 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yup... the exercise definitely helps!! The main reason I exercise is so I don't have to eat like a bird. If you can live on only 1,200 calories, that 's great, but I know for a fact that I can't. So I usually add 600-800 calories to that a day because that's what I burn off in exercise. I do spinning, kickboxing and running.... one of those every day.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    First off, who does this and actually succeeds?
    What sort of low calorie things can you eat with this amount of calories?
    How many times a day do you eat?
    What amount of exercise if you are doing any at all? (How many times, and duration please).

I am increasing my amount of lbs to lose per week to try something different.

I do it and it works just fine (as long as I'm an honest logger). I don't have much problem with it, though it's hard for the first couple of weeks because your body is used to overeating and it will make you suffer for depriving it. You get used to it though and you continue to lose.

I'm very short, so I'll do 1000-1200 on non-workout days (sometimes as low as 900), and 1300ish on workout days (my workouts aren't super long or intense).

I eat as healthily and as balanced as I can manage while trying to occasionally fit in foods I crave or miss in small, small doses. Veggies are GREAT because they fill up your tummy but don't add a lot of calories. Lean meat, fiber, that sort of thing. Avoid sugar and processed breads as much as you can because it will add up calorie-wise and not do you any favors making you feel full or satisfied. It's much, much easier to eat 1200 after doing it for a little while.

The only time I plateaued it was because I was allowing myself free-feeding days on the weekends. I did the math--I was eating back every single calorie I'd burned in deficit. Joke's on me!

Keep in mind I'm a little bit less than 5'0" tall though, and I'm not very overweight. So take that as you will and find what works for you, whether it's calorie restriction, or boosting your activity level to compensate for what you really want to eat. :)