A Tattoo for constant, permanant Motivation...

Options

Replies

• shelbyterry5
    shelbyterry5 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a bible verse, my sister committed suicide this year... it was a verse she had on her wrist as well. I find peace and strength in it. IF your religious you might find a verse you like.

My flesh and my heart may fail; but GOD is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalms 73:26
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I have a dragon, for strength and determination.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Personal strength and a symbol that represents that is going to be something that's probably going to be individual to you more than anything else. What, to you, says strength? And perseverance? Is there something that you tell yourself, or that you look at now, that really motivates you to do better? Is there a specific event in your life that really made you realize how important all those qualities are?

I performed a flute solo piece as part of my music major requirement (before I turned to nursing), called "Kokopelli", and although I didn't like it at first, I came to love it, because it was so haunting and melancholy, and yet magical and strong at the same time. Most of the challenge was in the personal interpretation that the piece needed to come alive, and no the technical aspects of it, and that really spoke to me, since it's easy to ignore the joy of interpretation while getting lost in the technical stuff.

Kokopelli, in different Native American cultures, can represent a god of fertility, as well as agriculture, and chases away winter with his trickster flute-playing. It's a bringing of life to people and the earth, and when I read up on it more while practicing the piece, it came to represent so many different things, and became a very positive experience for me. I now associate that symbol now with my ability to look at life and interpret things into something beautiful and different, and the need to stay open-minded and willing, no matter the challenge.

kk3162_450.jpeg

So that symbol for me would represent strength, determination, and perseverance, because I associate it with an event in my life. It's hard to find symbols like that that are so strong personally, but take some time, and maybe really look at everything around you, like pictures, the earth, people you love, and think of things that you associate with being strong personally. :)
  • thoma74
    thoma74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Don't get this one.

3409.gif
    Havana seriously! That could be seen as a white Supremacist symbol!! Please research your tattoo!

This doesn't look like a Swastika to me, but it is a very odd shaped symbol to me.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I have one. It says YOU SHALL OVERCOME.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE one of these as my next tattoo. Love the colors in this one too.
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I had tat done last summer. After much deliberation I had one drawn up to include:

Ivy - represents determination
    Hibiscus flowers - when given as a gift they represent "seize the opportunity"

Mines down my side, but you could look at something to fit your wrist.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Don't get this one.

3409.gif
    Havana seriously! That could be seen as a white Supremacist symbol!! Please research your tattoo!

This doesn't look like a Swastika to me, but it is a very odd shaped symbol to me.

http://gbgm-umc.org/umw/anti-hate/symbolsofhate.html
    You know I had to google it...
  • BuffERRN
    BuffERRN Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Not meant to be a swastika... It is one half of the Nazi SS symbol.
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Since it'll be on your wrist and for the rest of your life, I suggest you keep looking til you find exactly what you want. Don't rush it. It'll come and when it does, you'll know.

I agree! Take your time! I also want to do this but I haven't decided what I want yet either. However, I am going to get mine in white like a branding because we aren't supposed to have tattoos showing where I am employed and also so that it won't be so noticable to anyone else but me. Just something to remind of the struggle and victory of losing weight but also something to remind me that I couldn't have done it without my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Take your time and find the one that's right for you. :smile:
  • afwatson15
    afwatson15 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How about a Mr Strong tattoo.

http://www.themistermen.co.uk/images/mrstrong.jpg

Best bit is, if you start to put on weight, his sides start to bend. How is that for motivation to keep in good shape? :bigsmile:

Ok, I know, terrible idea. :blushing:

Haha. Me likey.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Don't get this one.

3409.gif

http://gbgm-umc.org/umw/anti-hate/symbolsofhate.html
    You know I had to google it...

Now I have to put in my two cents! The swastika isn't inherently racist and many people have it tattooed that aren't nazis:

http://gentleswastikacollective.blogspot.com/

It's an ancient symbol used by many cutlures (native american, pagan, hindi, etc) for the sun, for power, for the cycle of things. So while I personally wouldn't get it inked on me, don't assume everyone who has it inked on them is a nazi. There's a big movement to reclaim the symbol from racists.

I was also bummed to see Odin's rune on this website. I suppose it's good to know that racists use it, but Odin?!?! Seriously?!?!?!

Finally, there is a huge connection between the occult and nazis...the nazis, hitler in particular, were big into coopting occult symbols (from even non-aryans, interestingly enough) to try to garner strength for their army. That doesnt make the occult symbol racist.

Stars and bars, though, I can't stand. There's nothing rebellious about being pro-slavery!

xxxxxxxxxx

oh, and back to the OP... if you are gettng something tattooed on you, I think it makes sense that it comes from you.
  • afwatson15
    afwatson15 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

If that's a Swastika, then Harry Potter has some 'splainin to do.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Don't get this one.

3409.gif

It's the basis for the symbol used by the SS, actually.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    This one on my shoulder means "perseverance" - that is incredibly important to me, so that's an idea:
    2193703_1597.jpg
  • puppy1002
    puppy1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hmmm on my wrist? I always default to a cat...but I couldn't associate myself with being "cat lady"!! I was thinking about an eye. Not the all seeing eye but just an eye...

I like the eye, since you thought of it. Like others said pick what you like since it's going to be on you. I've seen eye tattoos and they can look pretty cool, if done good. I know some tattoo artist can't do eyes very well.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Don't get this one.

3409.gif

It's the basis for the symbol used by the SS, actually.

Please refer to my post...where I say that Nazi's coopted occult symbols. It may have been used by the SS but it's not inherently racist. That's like saying stars are inherently american because they are on the american flag.

which is not to say I don't think people ought to know the nazi connection!!! But i'm just saying that it's not *just* a nazi symbol...and not even ORIGINALLY a nazi symbol.
  • BuffERRN
    BuffERRN Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I didnt think it was a swastika! I said it was half of the SS symbol....
  • XOchocolate
    XOchocolate Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Omg...that is too funny;)