The Hunger Games

Options
Okay, so I never read while I exercise, but I'm getting tired of the same old ipod/running combination.. so I decided to buy The Hunger Games and take a swing at reading it. I took it to the gym with me, and while I was on the treadmill, I began reading. I completely lost track of time, and did the elliptical for 75 minutes. Holy crap. I NEVER do it for that long. Maybe I'll start this reading/elliptical thing more often. By the way.. this book is SO GOOD.. and SOOO hard to put down.

p.s. Yes, I've drank the Koolaid :drinker:

Replies

• mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    When I use to do the elliptical regularly, I use to read my lecture notes or study...and would realize that I only would do the elliptical for 20 minutes or less lol....I stopped doing that..So I would read for leisure, watch Netflix or YouTube videos on my iPhone lol...I would be on for 60-75 minutes a day lol. I find doing something productive that is interesting can always help a good workout :)
  • InIt2WinIt
    Options
    Kate, I read fashion mags while I'm on the tread and I'm telling you, I feel like you do, you can only listen to the same workout playlist for so long! I definitely want to get "The Hunger Games" before I see the movie and you have just gave another reason for me to do so -- I'm excited -- good luck in your "lifestyle change"!! :-)
  • katelynpelerson
    katelynpelerson Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks, you too! Yeah, I would definitely read it! I'm doing the same, reading the book before watching the movie. People have actually said that the movie is one of the best book/movie remakes they've ever seen.. unlike Twilight.. which I despise.
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I read on the treadmill everyday (well 6/7). Its the only way to keep my focus to get through 3 miles. If I didn't have that I would just get bored and stop. And yes the series is great!!!! Read the whole thing twice last January.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I read all three books while doing treadmill workouts. The time went by so fast each time.
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    i do both - i listen to music (mainly to drown out background noise) and read whatever book i'm reading at that time on my kindle :)
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Love reading on the elliptical! I just finished the Hunger Games and moved on to the second book in the series, Catching Fire. I'm trying to save the book for only workout times to give me a little encouragement and treat for going long on the machines :). LOVE the series so far!

Edit: Go Dawgs! That's my alma mater! :). The Ramsey Center is awesome!
  • katelynpelerson
    Options
    I don't think I'd EVER be able to not read this book all the time haha! GO DAWGS! I loooove me some Bulldogs! and the Ramsey Center:)
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I've read those already, loved them, but now I really wanna try this reading-while-working out thing...can anyone suggest any other good reads!? I'm a big reader and love fantasy & Young Adult fantasy... :smile:
  • katelynpelerson
    Options
    I would totally recommend any John Grisham book, he's my favorite author. He writes mysteries.. so idk if you'd like them, but they're so hard to put down.. for me:)
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Lol! It's kept me motivated to do a couple of hours on the elliptical a day. I want to know what happens!

I like the Tamora Pierce if your into young adult fantasy. I think her first series is called "song of the lioness" but she's been writing for a while so she has several series.
  • sluedu09
    sluedu09 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hunger Games is sooo much better than Twilight as far as books and movies. There's more meaning to them. Don't get me wrong, I totally loved the Twilight series while I was reading it, but when I read The Hunger Game, it totally blew Twilight out of the water.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I am halfway through Book 3. I am enjoying them so much!
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I can't read and workout at the same time. I get dizzy and my mind wanders off of the page. xD Instead I keep audiobooks.
  • megannicolex33
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE the Hunger Games series. I've read all 3 of the books several times and I'm honestly in love with them, like there's no other way to describe it... I've never been this into a series before. They're extremely well-written and so easy to read for hours on end. If you like the first one, you should definitely read Catching Fire and Mockingjay next!
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    there is no way i could read small print on the eliptical
    i only read when im on a stationary bike

havent started the hunger games books, but i bought the first one (i work at a book store) so excited for it!
  • mikesa3
    mikesa3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm reading this book too. It's so good. I haven't tried reading on the elliptical ,not sure if I'm coordinated enough. LOL I think I will try on Monday.
    Nancy
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    The Hunger Games should NEVER be compared to Twilight.

The Hunger Games = Great books, great writing, great story.

Twilight = Crap books that should not have ever been published (but then again, Snookie "wrote" a book.. No wonder this world is full of morons), horrible writing, horrible story. Worst books I've EVER read. I burned them.
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I never read while I exercise, but I'm getting tired of the same old ipod/running combination.. so I decided to buy The Hunger Games and take a swing at reading it. I took it to the gym with me, and while I was on the treadmill, I began reading. I completely lost track of time, and did the elliptical for 75 minutes. Holy crap. I NEVER do it for that long. Maybe I'll start this reading/elliptical thing more often. By the way.. this book is SO GOOD.. and SOOO hard to put down.

p.s. Yes, I've drank the Koolaid :drinker:

I am reading the books too and l did see the movie..It is the best movie l have seen this year so far..Just LOVED it...
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    The Hunger Games should NEVER be compared to Twilight.

The Hunger Games = Great books, great writing, great story.

Twilight = Crap books that should not have ever been published (but then again, Snookie "wrote" a book.. No wonder this world is full of morons), horrible writing, horrible story. Worst books I've EVER read. I burned them.

So totally agree with that....