HCG - Thoughts?

Options
My boss, sister and sister-in-law are all on HCG and losing about a pound or two a day (they they stick with the plan), but I know eating 500-700 calories a day is HORRIBLE!

I want your thoughts and opinions about this diet "craze". Is it safe? Healthy? Success or horror stories?

THANKS!

Replies

• FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    I've heard of that... that's crazy.

Should have sold my pee while I was pregnant :P
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Don't even bother.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I tried it, couldnt do it, but my cuz did and lost alot of weight with it he looks great. I would read up on it, and if you do decide to do it, be careful where you get the drops from. I ordered mine and they were 80.00. I didnt get the cheap ones, I doubt its safe or healthy, its quick and hard.

Mary
  • Shantel0618
    Shantel0618 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My sister tried it and it didnt work for her I say try sticking to ur counting cals it will be better for u in the long run who knows a few years from now they could find out that it causes heart problems or something
  • shelbyterry5
    shelbyterry5 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've done it...spent too much money and gained it all right back, i have now lost and sustained my weight loss by eating right and working out.... best way to go :)
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Most of them will end up with serious health issues later in life if they continue
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who did this, i think its nuts cause common sense says first not healthy, at all and second of course you will lose weight (for now) with such a calorie restriction with or without that expensive HCG! Realistically who is going to only eat 500-700 calories a day for the rest of their life? not me LOL!! so i would rather go slow and develop eating habits i can live with for good not just a few weeks. Just my opinion. thanks for posting this. oh and btw my friend, not doing the HCG anymore and well needless to say the weight is back, she is now going the eat healthy and exercise route!! Have a great weekend
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    The idea behind it is supposed to be the fact that HCG is supposed to allow for more fat loss with severe restriction, but that's not been completely proven clinically. And the entire premise is so unhealthy, it's ridiculous. How can people go from eating so few calories to "normal" once they've lost the weight? Mentally, that would just be a beast of an obstacle to overcome. Not the mention the fact that they could just eat that many calories and NOT pay out the kazoo for the hormone, since the weight loss itself isn't from the hormone, it's just from them eating on a calorie diet that would normally get people treated for anorexia.
  • bojamashell
    bojamashell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest it. I've done it. Staying within 500 calories was awful! I did lose some weight, but I think the way I'm doing it now is better for me. It's a lifestyle change and I had to let go of my fantasy to see quick changes that were going to last a lifetime, using a temporary diet.
  • r_keller
    r_keller Posts: 21
    Options
    My boss, sister and sister-in-law are all on HCG and losing about a pound or two a day (they they stick with the plan), but I know eating 500-700 calories a day is HORRIBLE!

I want your thoughts and opinions about this diet "craze". Is it safe? Healthy? Success or horror stories?

THANKS!

You can lose weight using the tools that MFP provides, but it won't be as fast. But it *will* be healthier and way less miserable. People tend to jump on posts like this so I won't tell you any of the anti fad diet stuff but I will tell you that I've lost close to 30 pounds in almost 6 months just by watching what I eat and being more active. It's more satisfying and more sustainable in the end, in my opinion :smile:
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Popcorn-04-Buffy.gif
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I :heart: the Happy Cola Gummy diet! Its AWESOME, but not so much the Hungry Crazy Girl one.....
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds with HCG. It is a quick fix if you have a lot of weight to lose but it has its downsides. I would suggest it to any of my friends as long as they know it is not a long term solution but it does work and can be done healthily if you do it right. This is great to help lose weight fast and then go off to start an exercise and good eating routine. That is what I did and I have never been healthier. The product I chose was less than 50 bucks for a 40 day supply so it was not very expensive either.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    cheap or expensive, the drops and injections are all snake oil. There is ample evidence that taking HCG has no positive effect on weightloss. In addition, it's a dangerously restrictive diet programme.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Unnecessary and absolute *kitten*. Learn to eat well within a reasonable calorie range so you don't get fat again when you stop taking the little pregnant piss drops.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    useless short term fix that backfires in a big way. Massive weight gain back after quitting.
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor and I don't play one on TV, but that simply cannot be a good idea. There have been warnings by the Journal of the American Medical Association and the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition that hCG diet is neither safe nor effective as a weight-loss aid in the long term. Don't take my word for it. Google it for yourself.

Even if it does work, can loosing a 1-2 lbs a day be healthy? Come on!

And even if it a) does work, and b) doesn't harm your health - - what good is it if you can't do it forever?

If you lose whatever weight you want to lose, and then go back to your life the way it was, those pounds you lost will just find you again (Ask me how I know:angry: ) The only way to maintain that healthy weight is to be active and eat better from now on. I am afraid there is no other way. I have tried to avoid that answer for a long time because it wasn't the one I wanted to hear, but I have finally realized the truth of it.
  • jonesmo4
    jonesmo4 Posts: 1
    Options
    What are your thoughts about Phenermine.
  • Andrea681
    Andrea681 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have friends who have done it. They have spend god knows how much money, lost weight and gained it all back. My opinion is you shouldn't mess with that stuff and just stick to what works. Working out and eating right. There are NO quick fixes.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    9071974.jpg
This discussion has been closed.