Blood Pressure and Calorie Burn

Options
I know I may get the response, get a heart rate monitor! But...I don't want to quite yet, as I can't afford one.

I have low blood pressure, 100/60. will this affect my calories burnt when working out? I figure it does.

Also if anyone knows anything about blood pressure and fitness/nutrition, please let me know! I'd appreciate it!

Replies

• Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Options
    I have low blood pressure too but never thought about how it correlated with calorie burning. I would like to know too please.

Demetria
  • salamander
    Options
    I just had my blood pressue checked and it was the same as you - 100/60... my doctor told me that because I run and train 6 days a week, that it is low at rest, but means that I'm probably working out at my maximum heart rate (thus burning more calories)... I don't have a heart monitor either, so for now I've just been taking my own pulse because I don't trust the calorie burn numbers from the machines.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I just had my blood pressure checked and it was the same as you - 100/60... my doctor told me that because I run and train 6 days a week, that it is low at rest, but means that I'm probably working out at my maximum heart rate (thus burning more calories)... I don't have a heart monitor either, so for now I've just been taking my own pulse because I don't trust the calorie burn numbers from the machines.

i should probably get one then...otherwise i looked up some things to raise my blood pressure a bit, it becomes troublesome because if i don't stay hydrated enough, not getting enough sodium, etc, i black out...and it becomes really hard on me. and not everyone can possibly live perfectly to their bodies expectation all of the time.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Blood pressure just measures the 'water pressure' in the 'pipes' that make up your CV system. High blood pressure means the pipes are smaller for some reason (constriction, blockage) and low blood pressure means there's plenty of room for the blood to move around. The calorie burn is related to how much oxygen you're using. They're related, but not correlated. Meaning, your blood pressure will increase with exercise, and so will your caloric consumption. But your BP can also increase because of atherosclerosis, and that won't cause an increase in your oxygen consumption.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Blood pressure just measures the 'water pressure' in the 'pipes' that make up your CV system. High blood pressure means the pipes are smaller for some reason (constriction, blockage) and low blood pressure means there's plenty of room for the blood to move around. The calorie burn is related to how much oxygen you're using. They're related, but not correlated. Meaning, your blood pressure will increase with exercise, and so will your caloric consumption. But your BP can also increase because of atherosclerosis, and that won't cause an increase in your oxygen consumption.

but would the calorie counts for exercise on here be accurate for someone with low blood pressure?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

but would the calorie counts for exercise on here be accurate for someone with low blood pressure?

What I'm saying is that blood pressure isn't going to influence how many calories you burn.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    thank you :)