Pin Up Girls

Options
Vodkha
Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
Ok, I've kind of taken a liking to pin up type style. Does anyone here dabble in this? I just think 50's-ish pin up stuff looks great, especially the make up and sometimes the hair. I have no idea how to apply make up, though, let alone this! Is it hard to do? And do you wear it like that often or is it more for going out? PIctures are most welcome :)

Examples:
img_91724_pin-up-girl-makeup-hair.jpg
make-up-pin-up-pin-up-Favim.com-116545_large.jpg

Replies

• HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    I just like wearing the clothes. The really short bangs are too extreme (for me). Lisa Eldridge, a celebrity make-up artist has a tutorial for the Marilyn Monroe look that you can watch here:

http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/21757/marilyn-monroe-iconic-make-up-look/

It's definitely not an every day look, but you can give some of her tips&tricks a try for special occasions.
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I love it, but haven't been able to figure out how to make myself look that good!
  • legmotor
    legmotor Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the pin up girl look. I want to take some pin up type pictures of my sweetie.
  • Oliver_Cat_13
    Oliver_Cat_13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For special occasions, I dress up and do my makeup like this. I don't have the bangs, but I do put my hair in rollers to curl it with that style.
  • dirtyloveletters
    Options
    I'm crazy on fashion from the 1920s - 1950s. Even as far back as victorian. Could never get away with wearing or looking how I want to where I live. I'd just get jumped. Shame :/
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I do make up, so I mastered that. It's the hair I've always had issues with. And, once I fit into the clothes, well, I'll definitely wear them.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I did a boudoir marathon session with a local photographer (who I also happened to go to school with!) They rented a hotel room, did a few shoots all in one day. Professional makeup done for us, and I had my hair done that morning. It was AWESOME.

Plus I came back with some better knowledge about makeup. Like fake eyelashes are awesome. :wink:

She posted a blog "behind the scenes", which talks about how the day goes. It's kind of cool for anyone who would like to know more.

http://whitepeachphoto.com/2012/03/12/marathon_bts/
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm very much into pinup! I modeled in the pinup style for about two years, before my waistline exploded due to my Prednisone increase. The hair and makeup is really fun and easy, too! I highly recommend these books: http://www.hrstbooks.com/
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I work for MAC cosmetics and I also freelance for a photographer, who often does pin up shoots. Nine times out of ten the ladies I meet at the shoot will come into the store later to get a full lesson on the pin up makeup, you should call your local MAC counter/store and see if they have an artist that is good at this style makeup and make an appointment for a lesson!! so much fun!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I did a pin up shoot for a tattoo fest. It was a lot of fun. Depending on how into it you want to get you can find some lessons on youtube about how to do the hair and makeup.
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    There is a closed group for gals who like pin ups. Message amymrls about it. (It is women only though, sorry guys.)
  • ryall70
    ryall70 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I love this type of photography... been thinking bout going to a shoot....
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i love pinup! bettie page is one of my icons, and my favorite pinup artist is gil elvgren. i've never had pinup pictures take of myself or anything, but i do usually rock the bettie bangs (when i've got hair), and i'd someday like to have a photo session, just for fun.

your pictures look great!
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Check this out! She's awesome!

http://www.wix.com/jmcshane/pin-up-party

Her regular photography site is: mcshanephotography.com
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I love the pin up look! But also haven't completely figured out how to make it work, and make it me. I love the clothing and shoes mostly! Reeaaallly love the shoes. Not a huge fan of the super short bangs tho...
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Very much so. I have 2 tattoo'd on my right calf and am deciding on which will be my next.

Here's one of them
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwpBs3kDYVOQ0Vc_KVK9YUy5mNevmsadMQ91sigiS0Fpfai2w2

Alberto Vargas' collection is amazing
  • sfernan432
    sfernan432 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love the hair and make-up and clothes. I remember my senior year my boyfriend (now ex) dressed as a ww2 couple. Hair and makeup with a cute outfit! We were the military couple. LOVED IT! =) I still do my hair like that. But I've never been comfortable in red lipstick out in public lol cause I've got big lips. Beautiful style!
  • Abrowe313
    Abrowe313 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've kind of taken a liking to pin up type style. Does anyone here dabble in this? I just think 50's-ish pin up stuff looks great, especially the make up and sometimes the hair. I have no idea how to apply make up, though, let alone this! Is it hard to do? And do you wear it like that often or is it more for going out? PIctures are most welcome :)

Examples:
    img_91724_pin-up-girl-makeup-hair.jpg
    make-up-pin-up-pin-up-Favim.com-116545_large.jpg

this style is so hot! i love the rockabilly pin up girl look!
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Alberto Vargas' collection is amazing

I believe I was a Vargas girl in a past life :love:
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    When I lose more weight I am getting boudoir photo's taken and I want them to be a bit pin-up-ish. I LOVE the look! You can look up tutorial's on Youtube that can show you exactly how to get the look you want.