How would you log this? Or would you?

Options
2»

Replies

• DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I think you should log it. You sweated, walked miles back and forth in your kitchen, lifted pots and pans full of heavy food. Log it!!!!
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    WHAT DID YOU SET YOUR ACTIVITY LEVEL ON MFP? IF NOT TO ACTIVE..I WOULD LOG IT. ATLEAST 1/2 OF IT
  • rsmugala
    rsmugala Posts: 35
    Options
    I would log it as light cleaning. I cook during the holidays and it is really a chore!
  • radosti1
    radosti1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    This is by no means an everyday activity for me. My back is killing me and I need a shower in the worst way. My activity level is set to sedentary. Maybe I will log half. I still have cleaning to do. We'll see how it goes. I wasn't going to go crazy at seder anyway food-wise, just hate the idea of going over when I have been on my feet all day.
  • doyledozo
    doyledozo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you're set at sedentary you should most certainly log it...all of it
  • marynmarty
    marynmarty Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It's all in how you felt you did....did you really work it to a sweat? Then I would put the 6 hours in.....if you feel you only sweated a little bit of the time put in 2 hours....it's all in how you felt you did and how fast. I usually don't log cooking or the cleaning as I feel that's just a bonus and I don't want the calories back to where it shows I'm leaving tons of calories behind (although I don't do what you just did with all the cooking lol). I only log my true exercise. I clean all the time as I hate my house being dirty BUT I don't work up a sweat as it's just the daily clean. I think it's how you felt and if you need the calories for dinner I would put something in. BTW I'm coming to your house for supper :-) lol
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I've never logged my cooking, especially not on a daily basis type of thing. But in December, when I did a solid 10 hours in the kitchen, just baking the entire time, I burned around 2000 calories for that 10 hour period of time.

I didn't log it, mostly because I didn't see the burn until I'd plugged in my BMF and by then it was the end of the day and I wasn't going to eat any of those calories at that point anyway. But I'd say log some extra calories and enjoy some extra freedom of eating at your dinner tonight. :)
  • lozfisher
    lozfisher Posts: 36
    Options
    Has the time it's taken to cook stopped u doing 'actual exercise'? The reason I ask is that if normally u wouldn't have dine any exercise then don't log it as your only doing it to claim calories. But if normally u would have gone to gym / walk / run then do as the time u spent cooking stopped u doing actual exercise. Not sure if this is right way to look at it but just my thoughts!
  • vicjam2
    vicjam2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Log it! Body in motion is burning more calories than sitting or sleeping! I dont understand some of these other posts! I clean house to get extra burned calories!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I would log half (500). And if you do end up going over a little from your special dinner and whatever else you have tonight, you'll probably be ok in the end.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother logging especially if you weren't wearing a hrm while cooking there is no accurate way to count the calories burned. I would just take pride in knowing I burned some extra calories not necessary to log in my humble opinion.
  • WatchMomRun
    Options
    I really think it depends on which activity setting you have listed for yourself.

Mine is set at "lightly active" which means I spend most of my days on my feet but not doing manual labor. One of the examples they use for lightly active is a "nurse" which is what I am. I am running my butt off at my job going up and down the hallways and assisting pts out of bed etc. And on my days off I am still on my feet, cooking, cleaning, and chasing after a 4 year old, and taking my 2 other children to their activities.

I do not log any of this because MFP assumes that I am doing all of this and has built into my calorie allotment the appropriate amt of calories I can eat each day.

Only if I do manual labor or exercise do I log it.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    In general, I log about half of something like that, after subtracting the calories from your BMR for that same time period.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If your activity level is set to sedentary, then log part of it; maybe even only half. The location or intention doesn't really matter much for calories burned. It still happens, and rationalizing underfeeding is just as damaging as rationalizing overfeeding.
  • ezramedic
    ezramedic Posts: 119
    Options
    I would log it, but subtract the calories you would've burned just by being alive. Basically dividing your BMR by 24 and then times that number 6. Then subtracting the [(BMR / 24) x 6] number from the Calories Burned Number :-)

Does that even make sense??? LOL!
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    When I do cooking or cleaning (or the walking part of shopping), I usually log half the time I did. So if I cooked for 2 hours, I just log 1 hour. Makes the calories burned seem a little more realistic to me.

As for shopping, I usually log walking at the slowest speed. Why? Because they say you burn 100 calories/hour just by standing up.

This.
  • afwatson15
    afwatson15 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was lazy and didn't read the entire thread - so if posted already just tell me to be quiet and sit in the corner.

I think you need to subtract out what you would normally burn in that time frame so you don't double count calorie loss.

For instance, my BMR is 1816 - and even though I burn more during the day than at night, I'll just simplify the math. 1816 divided by 24 hours = 76 calories per hour. Multiply that by 6 hour = 454 calories doing absolutely nothing. Multiply this by 1.2 to get to my sedentary level = 544.8 calories burned in 6 hours doing very little.

So, if you're cooking actively for 6 hours, there's a very good chance you burned around 1,000. Just be sure to log the DIFFERENCE between your normal level and the active level. For my example - it would be in the neighborhood of 460 calories.
  • JLLemons
    JLLemons Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    1000 might be a little extreme but I'm sure you atleast burned a couple of hundred..maybe a little more