In what way do you eat more calories?

Options
I've been on this site for 2 weeks, but I've been in "losing" mode for years. I was at 250 7 years ago and have lost to 192, which I'm proud of. I have been worried about the number of calories that I was given automatically on the site (seemed too few), so I went to the Fat to Fit website and found out my TDEE. My calories on this site are now adjusted to my BMR, and I will eat the calories that I expend with exercise. Here's the question: What do you eat to increase your calories in a healthy way? I can certainly eat 250 to 400 more calories in candy, but I don't want to for obvious reasons. I'm trying to eat "clean", so large volumes of food don't necessarily equal large numbers of calories. I've been having trouble getting up to the 1200 + exercise that I was given by MFP; now it's even more. What should I eat? Things like nuts and avocados? What else?

Thanks!

Replies

• CEQuick75
    CEQuick75 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I too am curious about this. I think I've been eating too little, but can't bring myself to eat any "bad" calories.
  • valenief
    valenief Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Im the worst for bad cals lol but everyone tells me protein drinks and bars are a healthy way to add cals.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Nut Butters... so many calories in such a little bite.

Have a peanut butter sandwich with whole grain bread, all natural no sugar added peanut butter and jelly... easy 350-450 calories depending on your bread.

Protein Smoothie: 1.5 cups frozen fruit, milk (almond for me), and a scoop of vanilla protein powder: 300-400 calories

Oatmeal (2 pounches of instant) with a scoop of vanilla a protein powder and berries (sometimes a short of milk to help thin it out) or Nutella: 350-400 calories

Hell: make a batch of healthy oatmeal flax cookies full of fiber and nutriants and Calories......
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've been on this site for 2 weeks, but I've been in "losing" mode for years. I was at 250 7 years ago and have lost to 192, which I'm proud of. I have been worried about the number of calories that I was given automatically on the site (seemed too few), so I went to the Fat to Fit website and found out my TDEE. My calories on this site are now adjusted to my BMR, and I will eat the calories that I expend with exercise. Here's the question: What do you eat to increase your calories in a healthy way? I can certainly eat 250 to 400 more calories in candy, but I don't want to for obvious reasons. I'm trying to eat "clean", so large volumes of food don't necessarily equal large numbers of calories. I've been having trouble getting up to the 1200 + exercise that I was given by MFP; now it's even more. What should I eat? Things like nuts and avocados? What else?

Thanks!

Well, I can't see you diary so I can't comment on what you're currently eating but it's insanely easy to eat a lot of calories worth of "good" food. My diary is open, feel free to browse. I eat 2000-2800/day depending on my workouts. It's not all good (hey, a girl needs her chocolate) but I try to go at least 80% clean and let the rest be what it may.

Good, high calorie foods:
    * ditch the diet crap (low fat, fat free foods) and eat real stuff, full fat cheeses, sour cream, etc.
    * nuts, super high in calories, good fats and a nice source of protein
    * higher calorie fruits & veggies (potatoes, sweet potatoes, bananas, avocado)
    * nut butters

Seriously, I can make a 400-500 calorie "snack" that fits on a itty bitty snack plate if I do a sliced apple with peanut butter, handful of almonds and pumpkin seeds and a string cheese.

For cooking your meals, try sauteeing your veggies in some olive oil or coconut oil. Spread a 1/2 tablespoon of real butter on something and eat it up. Yum!
  • cyreta
    cyreta Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sounds like this is a question several people have. Thanks for all the suggestions! I may browse on your diary, since you said it was OK. I guess I should have also mentioned that I'm trying to do a low protein/ low fat diet due to kidney damage that was compounded by my two pregnancies (diet recommended by my nephrologist), so animal products are a relatively small part of my overall eating plan. I can certainly eat more carb-heavy veggies, though, and see if I can figure out how to incorporate more nut butter protein and fat into my plan. I love peanut and almond butter, but I've been avoiding it in favor of lower fat protein sources like turkey. Now I can reconsider, which sounds great to me!

Thanks again!
  • ebaymommy
    Options
    Sounds like this is a question several people have. Hopefully we'll get an answer soon. I'm trying to stay away from chemicals/additives/preservatives as much as I can, so drinks and bars aren't the choice for me. Although Luna bars only have a few ingredients in them from what I've seen- maybe that's an option. Thanks for the idea!

For an on-the-go snack Larabars are a great choice, they usually only have 3-5 ingredients each. My favorites are the peanut butter cookie and they have exactly 3 ingredients....dates, peanuts, sea salt.
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Sounds like this is a question several people have. Hopefully we'll get an answer soon. I'm trying to stay away from chemicals/additives/preservatives as much as I can, so drinks and bars aren't the choice for me. Although Luna bars only have a few ingredients in them from what I've seen- maybe that's an option. Thanks for the idea!

nakd bars are good too -- just raw, unprocessed food that looks like a candy bar!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Personally I fill in those blanks with wine, but nuts, nut butters and avocados are great. Adding olive oil to salads or cooked foods will also do the trick. Or why not just eat more of whatever healthy food you like?
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't see you diary so I can't comment on what you're currently eating but it's insanely easy to eat a lot of calories worth of "good" food. My diary is open, feel free to browse. I eat 2000-2800/day depending on my workouts. It's not all good (hey, a girl needs her chocolate) but I try to go at least 80% clean and let the rest be what it may.

Good, high calorie foods:
    * ditch the diet crap (low fat, fat free foods) and eat real stuff, full fat cheeses, sour cream, etc.
    * nuts, super high in calories, good fats and a nice source of protein
    * higher calorie fruits & veggies (potatoes, sweet potatoes, bananas, avocado)
    * nut butters

Seriously, I can make a 400-500 calorie "snack" that fits on a itty bitty snack plate if I do a sliced apple with peanut butter, handful of almonds and pumpkin seeds and a string cheese.

For cooking your meals, try sauteeing your veggies in some olive oil or coconut oil. Spread a 1/2 tablespoon of real butter on something and eat it up. Yum!

^^^^DITTO!^^^^^ everything that I was thinking...and more!
    1/4 cup of pecans 200 cals.
  • ebaymommy
    Options
    @katieblueiz - love your avatar!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem. Like the ideas Ebaymommy has given so far.

Sounds so good. I have pumpkin seeds in my desk and cheese sticks in the kitchen. How handy.
  • jolynyk
    jolynyk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Some of my favourite clean and healthy foods are pretty high in calories. Try farro or quinoa with your veggies. Walnuts are another good option for a snack or on a salad - they're very healthy but high in calories.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I thought I would have no problem eating more but like you don't want to fill it up with junk. I was surprised recently when I ran a report on my net calories to see I wasn't eating enough. So love this thread. I load up my oatmeal with nuts and fruits and flaxseed meal. Still not that many calories. I use coconut oil and olive oil for cooking. Also use the nut butter idea. I think I need to buy more nuts. I saw a post on roasted garbanzo beans for a snack. Part of the problem is that it is taking a while to change my mindset on avoiding the higher calories. Another good snack is greek yogurt. I use plain and add dried fruit to sweeten. I still add other vegetables in with my potatoes when I mash them which is less calories but more nutrition. I use the 90/ 10% rule for the percentage of junk/sweets. I still watch portion size however if I am hungry and I log it accurately I will have a smaller sized second portion but then mostly what I am making is healthier anyway. A little more vegetable soup isn't going to add many calories. I am trying to add more complex carbs in.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I add a Muscle Milk Light, Chobani Yogurt or a bar of some type :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Pistachios! Doesn't take long to up calories with those :D

Or beef, usually high in calories
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    For me nuts are good choice as long as they aren't salted. I also love avocado on sandwiches and salads. Use brown rice instead of white rice. I eat regular 2% yogurt instead of fat free. I make my own salad dressing and using extra virgin olive oil and reduced salt to make them healthier than the bottled ones in the grocery store.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    avocados, eggs, more lean meat and fish, yogurt, protein smoothies, smoked salmon ....

i also make large batches of things like turkey chili and turkey and kale soap that are around 200 calories per serving.