Stressed and all I wanna do is eat!

Options
Help!!!! Friends I need some support and kind words of motivation... life is stressing me out right now and all I can think about it unhealthy food!!! How can I turn this around cuz the stess isn't going anywhere!

Replies

• ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I just went through this. Last week, all I wanted was fast foods and delivery pizza!!!! It was so hard, but you can make it through. Just tell yourself you don't need those foods. You need healthy foods. Think about yourself in the near future like next week or the next time you weigh-in. You don't wanna have the regret of jumping off the wagon, do ya? I always try to think of it like that. Think of the long run, not right in the moment because most of the time these devil cravings are only temporary, but you are not. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Just think about how you have enough stress right now and eating unhealthy foods will just add to that. You'll feel SO much better and proud of yourself for making it through a stressful times without sabotaging all of your efforts!
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to write in a journal when you are stressed? I do that and just writing it out helps me get it off my chest. I never show it to anyone, so if I am mad at someone I might write them a letter telling them to f off. Since it's in the journal I don't share with that person. If that doesn't work, try getting in your car and screaming. It's almost as satisfying as a good cry. Best done with the windows up! :wink:

Also...keep easy healthy snacks available. When you want to eat it is rarely something that has a complicated prep time. I normally want to grab the first thing I see and crave easy to get food. (especially fast food).

If you need a friend to vent to, I can apply for the position. I am in the middle of the most stressful time in my life and have HAD to learn ways to cope. One day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time. Add me! (that goes for anyone else too)

Good luck!!!
  • Candida1983
    Candida1983 Posts: 188
    Options
    I would say, when you feel like eating, pop in a workout video, something like aerobics or dancing (something that will have you bouncing around and happy). I'm going to use this method to quit smoking. Hope it helps!! :happy:
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Spend some quality time punching a heavy bag.
  • hitmewitdarock
    Options
    why not just give in and feed your crave? if you do good for most of the time then its ok in my book to feed a crave...
  • Candida1983
    Candida1983 Posts: 188
    Options
    Sometimes when you give into a craving, it turns out to be realllly bad. Just because, usually what you are craving is something that you haven't had in a while and it could be really easy to go overboard with it. Indulging a little is okay, if you have the control. :wink: But most of us tend not to have that trait, as evidenced by our membership here. So I would say no to indulging, unless you can control yourself and not eat too much. :happy:
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath. Remember all the reasons why you've decided to make better eating/exercise choices. Recognize that it's about changing your lifestyle - your every day choices. Every time you intentionally fight off bad habits, you are one step closer to making good habits come that much more naturally :)
  • hitmewitdarock
    Options
    just go ahead and eat... then do extra exercise to work it off.. make it a 5 mile walk instead of 3...
  • samiam321123
    samiam321123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    just go ahead and eat... then do extra exercise to work it off.. make it a 5 mile walk instead of 3...

Stop playing devil's advocate.

If hunger isn't the question then food isn't the answer.
  • melissafranks90
    Options
    I believe in you! Keep your head up. Life can really bring you down and make you revert back to old habits but just think inside that you are a strong person and you are better than that food! Because as good as it may be in the beginning it will only hurt you in the long run! Dont give in YOU ARE STRONG, repeat that to yourself everyday and dont forget to add at the end of it AND BEAUTIFUL!!!:smile:
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am stressed lately and and wanting to eat, so what I do is:
    -drink loads of water - if I feel hungry when I shouldn't be I drink a pint of water and make an herbal (decaf) tea to see if that helps
    -exercise to releive stress - this helps me work out nervous energy and stress, particularly something hard, like running
    -if those don't work, I eat, but make sure I eat healthy things, like fruit, veggies, or other healthy snacks. this deals with the craving for something, and even if I eat a bowl of carrots, that is better than a pizza.

good luck
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do you really think junk food will make the stress better? Or will you then just add regret and possible more stress over the regret to the already existing stress.

Exercise is a proven stress reliever. And an appetite suppresant. And if nothing else will help with the regret should you give in to the junk food.
  • bjsquires
    bjsquires Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I too and going through a really stressful (and that is an understatement) time right now. Food has always been and I'm afraid always will be my go-to-for comfort. I feel good when I am in the middle of consuming the food then I feel so much worse for doing it.
    I don't have an answer on how to stop it other than fight it!!! I try to get my mind off of the "need" for comfort food by doing other things. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. All I can say is, I always feel ten times worse after the fact.
    Feel free to add me as a friend and we can support each other!!!
  • chevere94501
    Options
    I know it is not easy to feel like something not diet. However, you can be strong.