Very Scared!! (first 5k)

Options
13»

Replies

• maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I run 10 miles at a time and I still get nervous at a 5k. No matter where you come in place, if you give it your all, you will have something to feel really proud of... and others will be proud of you too. The running community is not one to say "oh, hah, look at that sucker coming in last"... we cheer on and are proud of all. Kick some butt and enjoy it! :)
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Relax, have fun, and enjoy the experience and accomplishment. And remember, you will not be last. The people sitting at home and not doing anything are all way behind you!

^^THIS!
    Good luck, you'll do great! :flowerforyou:
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Go out and have fun, the chances of you being last are slim.
  • sylwiasta
    sylwiasta Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much everyone, still real nervous, as the time gets closer... but at least I know I am not alone!! you all RULE
    You WONT BE ALONE for sure!!!! I, for example will think about you all that time and will be JEALOUS that I can not do it but YOU CAN!!!
    Even if you will be last at the end, who cares!!!! BE PROUD that you will do it, dont think about the time now!!!
    sending you hugs!!
  • toonces80
    toonces80 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first in a REALLY long time 5k tomorrow morning!! This is also the first 5k that I've prepared for and I have a lofty goal of running the entire thing.

I've done them before, so I know the drill but I'm still nervous.

We can be nervous and accomplished together!! The excitement did set in when I picked up my race packet a few hours ago. :bigsmile:
  • dalygirl_2010
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support, I ran every step of it!! And I ran it in 39.37 so that makes it about 12.50 mile, I am so happy, and a little proud!!
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    You should be proud! :smile: That is awesome, congratulations! You rock!
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support, I ran every step of it!! And I ran it in 39.37 so that makes it about 12.50 mile, I am so happy, and a little proud!!

wtg! Now you have set a baseline so you will have to do another haha! Gotcha :smile:
  • Gonebugn
    Gonebugn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, I have completed 5k, 10k, 15k and am training for a half marathon. A friend of mine gave me a great piece of advice before I started competing. She said just remember there will always be someone in front of you, someone behind you, but the most important thing to remember is it is about you, not anyone else.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Way to get it done. That's nearly six minutes faster than you thought you were going to run.
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I was scared my first 5k too..I ran most..but ended up walking some too. My time wasn't the greatest but I DID IT! I find great inspiration from this saying..

runningmotivation.jpg
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Way to get it done. That's nearly six minutes faster than you thought you were going to run.

Yes, congratulations - well done! I bet you were not last either!!! :happy:
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    ok, its not my first 5k, its my first running the whole thing. I decided last min to do it. and I am very scared I will be the last one to cross the finish line, and that I won't be able to run the whole thing... my tummy is turning just thinking about it... I am scared I will be really slow, (which I am, I only run about 15 min mile avg) but I am scared I will be even slower than that... But I am gonna do it, and be proud...

The second 5K I ever did, I ran the whole thing. And came in LAST. Dead last (it was a VERY small group of people running). But, you know what? I ran the whole thing, I challenged myself, I beat my first 5K time (at 33 minutes), and I felt fantastic. And then, because the 5K was really small, I was the only one in my age group and got a first place medal for my age group (which was FUNNY, and I just grinned like crazy because I felt like I did a good job anyway even though I was last). Just do your best, don't compare yourself to others. As you run more, it will get easier and easier (I went from barely being able to run for 30 seconds last summer to being able to run 10 miles now and am training for my first half marathon this summer). So hang in there and don't be nervous!!

This is me from November last year, at the race where I came in last:

lastone.jpg
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Great job!!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Well done! You did an amazing job. I'm very impressed.