Running for the very overweight/unfit (alternative to C25K)

Options
13»

Replies

• jalapenos
    jalapenos Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    I just said 2 days ago that I don't think I will ever be a runner. I have been trying to use the C25K program and I feel like I am going to fall over at about 45 sec. My HRM was alerting me my HR was over my limit and I was getting a headache. Not good. I decided then I wasn't going to give up, but not try to do that program either.

I'm glad you posted this, it gives me a better framework for how I will do this. I feel encouraged to try again!

Sherry

Other beginners can add me too!
  • mark2605
    mark2605 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    WOW! This is completely awesome! I have been doing a lot of walking for a while, and today I tried your method: Walk 4 Run 1. IT WAS FANTASTIC!! At first I felt completely like the Tin Man, but after about the third time it was time to run, things began to get more comfortable, and before I knew it, that minute was over! But after about 25 minutes, it started to pour, so I had to come inside. Just waiting for the rain to subside and then I am going to go out and finish the hour! THANK YOU!!!

Well done! The first walk/run cycle, before you're good and warmed up, is always the worst, and so is the first day. So the hard part is over for you!
  • mark2605
    Options
    I just said 2 days ago that I don't think I will ever be a runner. I have been trying to use the C25K program and I feel like I am going to fall over at about 45 sec. My HRM was alerting me my HR was over my limit and I was getting a headache. Not good. I decided then I wasn't going to give up, but not try to do that program either.

I'm glad you posted this, it gives me a better framework for how I will do this. I feel encouraged to try again!

Sherry

Said it in the original post, but I'll say it again - remember, pace or speed is NOTHING at this point. So for your first running week (running 1 minute in 5), you jog as slowly as you need to to keep your heart rate in a safe range and make it through the minute. It doesn't matter how slow it is, whether people walking are passing you or not (that happened to me often when I started), so long as it is a jogging/running motion (i.e. both feet off the ground for a split second), and you make it through the minute.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    Options
    WOW! This is completely awesome! I have been doing a lot of walking for a while, and today I tried your method: Walk 4 Run 1. IT WAS FANTASTIC!! At first I felt completely like the Tin Man, but after about the third time it was time to run, things began to get more comfortable, and before I knew it, that minute was over! But after about 25 minutes, it started to pour, so I had to come inside. Just waiting for the rain to subside and then I am going to go out and finish the hour! THANK YOU!!!

I told my mom I feel like a drunk moose when I run...lol When you said Tin Man I actually pictured the scene in Forrest Gump when he is running and his braces fall off freeing him to run faster. A GOOD imagine to keep in mind!!
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    Options

Sherry

Said it in the original post, but I'll say it again - remember, pace or speed is NOTHING at this point. So for your first running week (running 1 minute in 5), you jog as slowly as you need to to keep your heart rate in a safe range and make it through the minute. It doesn't matter how slow it is, whether people walking are passing you or not (that happened to me often when I started), so long as it is a jogging/running motion (i.e. both feet off the ground for a split second), and you make it through the minute.

I will keep this in mind. I had a heart attack when I was 16 and now have a faster resting HR. So now that I am exercising, it of course is rising during activity. My doctor put me on a beta blocker and told me as I get more fit it will improve as well. She told me to listen to my body and if it is too much, cut back a bit.
  • mark2605
    Options

Sherry

I will keep this in mind. I had a heart attack when I was 16 and now have a faster resting HR. So now that I am exercising, it of course is rising during activity. My doctor put me on a beta blocker and told me as I get more fit it will improve as well. She told me to listen to my body and if it is too much, cut back a bit.
    Obviously don't do anything counter to your doctor's guidelines. But of course you know that, so I'll stop being patronising now!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    This sounds like it may even be doable for me. For the past week I have been doing a combination of a 30 minute fast walk followed by a 30 minute jog (or what I call jogging) it's a jogging motion but I sure wouldn't win any speed races! :laugh:

I'd like to know if I am being absolutely foolish trying to do this at my age...I am 64 and 215 pounds. Is there anyone else out there that has never been a runner in their life and is now trying to get started with running or jogging at this ripe old age?:huh:
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shamrck44
    shamrck44 Posts: 91
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I have asthma and running is hard for me, I get winded after about 200 yards, so this might be a good plan to help me get jogging.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    This sounds like it may even be doable for me. For the past week I have been doing a combination of a 30 minute fast walk followed by a 30 minute jog (or what I call jogging) it's a jogging motion but I sure wouldn't win any speed races! :laugh:

I'd like to know if I am being absolutely foolish trying to do this at my age...I am 64 and 215 pounds. Is there anyone else out there that has never been a runner in their life and is now trying to get started with running or jogging at this ripe old age?:huh:

I started at age 43, 245 pounds in November of last year...

I was a non runner, always had shin splints and knee/hip pain when I ran. This has gotten me in shape, strengthened my joints and allowed me to start slowly enough to avoid injury. You CAN do this!
  • wannaberunner33
    wannaberunner33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • EMagineBeingEMazing
    Options
    bump-tastic! This thread rocks! Thanks so much for the post! :)
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread! Very encouraging!
  • NitroS1988
    NitroS1988 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! I like your method which I started today :)
  • aeclarke1967
    aeclarke1967 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!!

I found that the C25K apps were too aggressive for my capabilities - and now use HIIT/Tabata interval training timer apps (there are many - just look at the one that makes the noises you like, etc) where you can program in your Warmup/Walk/Run/Cooldown with interval repetitions - made the process of running so much less daunting that jumping right into C25K style programs.

For instance when I started - I walked 3 and ran 30 seconds - which was what I was capable of and could increase safely.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!!

I found that the C25K apps were too aggressive for my capabilities - and now use HIIT/Tabata interval training timer apps (there are many - just look at the one that makes the noises you like, etc) where you can program in your Warmup/Walk/Run/Cooldown with interval repetitions - made the process of running so much less daunting that jumping right into C25K style programs.

For instance when I started - I walked 3 and ran 30 seconds - which was what I was capable of and could increase safely.

Thank you for that suggestion - I tried to make my own intervals once using some sound mixing app and it was lame lol, I will try this!