How often to weigh in?

Options
So, you guys, youse guys!

I know, from past experience that if I weigh every day, I will become obsessive. I will see a fluctuation from my cycle or something and freak out.

I joined not quite a week ago, and haven't weighed yet, and don't plan on it for another week maybe, but then I'm wondering is that too long? I know one good thing about weighing in often is that you can catch trends before they become huge. But I do know, because all my weight gained was due to my last pregnancy, and I didn't have time to get adjusted to the heavier me, and told myself I'd never be obese again after losing so much weigh a few years back, that it's hard to not get obsessive. So much so, that ive slacked off for months just doing exercise and not worrying too much about food so I don't get OCD.

So how often do you guys weigh in?

What would you suggest for me? I know that if I have people to hold me accountable to only once a week or something, then I'll stick to it and not jump on the scale literally every time I go to pee.

Replies

• Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh in once a week, same day, same time of day, First thing in the morning (after going to the bathroom) is said to be best. Because then you are actually weighing your body weight not the weight of the food you just ate, or the water you just drank.
  • jenalow
    jenalow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That's the way I do it as well.
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh in once a week, same day, same time of day, First thing in the morning (after going to the bathroom) is said to be best. Because then you are actually weighing your body weight not the weight of the food you just ate, or the water you just drank.
    [/quote

same here ,same time every week seems best
  • jmoneycgt
    jmoneycgt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I typically weigh every day. I go by a moving average, sort of. Essentially if I stay at a certain solid number or below for a few days, I lost a pound. For example if I weigh in one day at 156.9, and then the next few days are 157.5, 157.3, 157.4... I don't consider myself to be down to 157 yet. I have to weigh in consistently at or below 157 to log it in MFP as a loss.

That may drive people insane, but it works for me.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a month for a few reasons. One is that, like you, I don't want to obsess over tiny ups and downs. I want to focus on eating and exercising and developing good habits, not on a number on the scale. Secondly, my scale is not digital, so I can't tell tenths of a pound anyway. Third, I thought it would be a good idea to weigh on the same day of my cycle every month, so bloating and hormonal weight fluctuations don't throw me off.
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, because when I weighed only once a week before, I let myself slide a lot more, nutrition-wise.
    That being said, when I weigh, if I've lost from the previous weight, I'll count it. I won't count it again until it's lower than that.
    So, really, I only "weigh in" to MFP about once, MAYBE twice a week. So it averages out.

Makes sense in my head at least.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Once a week is enough, same time on the same day after going to the loo, will give you best results! :)
  • jenbunboo
    jenbunboo Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Personally, I can understand your fears of overanalyzing if you weigh in too frequently, but I do weigh in daily. Every morning, after I go to the bathroom, after I walk the dogs, as I'm feeding them I hop on the scale. I'm still usually in my pajamas. I weigh in everyday, because I'd rather see the strange fluctuations. I know that if I see a pound+ fluctuation, there is no need to freak out, it is just my body holding on to more or less water or what have you. However, weighing in daily I feel keeps me more accountable, and I see the bigger picture and trend on my graphs, rather than going a week and seeing no change, just because I was on a low day the first time and a high day the second time, or something along those lines.
  • sisdunbar
    sisdunbar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday because I am following the Dukan Diet, but I do only take Friday's as my overall weight. It's quite normal for my weight to fluctuate over the week but as long as on Friday I'm on track, it's okay!
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a month for a few reasons. One is that, like you, I don't want to obsess over tiny ups and downs. I want to focus on eating and exercising and developing good habits, not on a number on the scale. Secondly, my scale is not digital, so I can't tell tenths of a pound anyway. Third, I thought it would be a good idea to weigh on the same day of my cycle every month, so bloating and hormonal weight fluctuations don't throw me off.

Yeah that makes sense. And referring to your third reason I usually just skip that week, because when I do weigh myself it's kind of all over the place because of bloating and what not.
  • annamolly22
    Options
    I agree with the others who have said to weigh in once a week. Personally I weight myself multiple times a day (which I know most people say not to do, and so I'm not suggesting you do) because I'm genuinely interested in how my weight fluctuates. I find it really interesting that our bodies can gain and drop multiple pounds through the course one day. That being said I only record my weight once a week. Every Sunday morning after going to the bathroom and before I eat breakfast.
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I do two times a week, Sunday and Wednesday. I do it of a morning after restroom.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week on Friday. Sometimes I am curious and weigh in between just to check on things but I do not record it.
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I make it a point to weigh most days when i first get up (after using the bathroom). Yesterday, for instance, it slipped my mind, but for the first time I didn't find myself driven to distraction from not weighing. Last night, I weighed myself out of curiosity, and the number was good, so I knew when I weighed in today that the number would be the same or less. Since it was less today, I will track the loss after tomorrow if it stays at the same number or below.

On the flip side, my friend is obsessive about weighing multiple times a day, but this allowed her to realize that she was retaining a LOT of water and needed to see her doctor. Then she was able to tell that the first diuretic wasn't working and that she needed to see him again. She also only records once a week.

My rambling point is, (IMO) weighing in practices are as personal as your weight-loss plan. Hopefully the fact that you know you are obsessive means you can figure out something that will work for you without feeding that obsession. Best of luck!
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself daily but i only update my weight once a month. the only exception is my cycle. there is no point in weighing myself on my cycle.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The 15th of each month
  • MamaMitzey
    Options
    Because of a recent plateau, my doctor is weighing me every week now. (Before it was every two weeks.) I know that I, too, tend to get quite obsessive if I weigh in more than once a week.
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily also. It's convenient and easy because my scale is right outside of the shower so I can weigh myself in the buff and then hop in the shower. I realize weight fluctuates so I don't freak out if I'm .6lbs up and I don't throw myself a party if I'm a little bit down. I've found that my weight bounces from day to day but I can count it when the fluctuation is consistently down. (um, did that make any friggin sense???)

And like someone else said, I actually find it somewhat interesting.
  • CharliSue
    CharliSue Posts: 81
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. Go potty, strip down and stand on the scale. Then I go about my day. I dont check my weight in on MFP until Sunday of each week though.
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Excellent. Thanks you guys! I guess maybe I'll do a compromise and weigh every day, because that makes me feel a little more in control, but will only log once a week so I don't have to feel obsessive about it.