Small vent-- nutritional info at restaurants/estimating calo

Options
Does anyone else think that all restaurants should have to offer nutritional information upon request? I hate going to places to eat and playing the guessing game with my calorie intake. I had a chicken salad sandwich on 9 grain bread today at a local bakery (they are a small chain) and had to guess on what the calories were. They range from 170 calories on up to 700 calories on here. How in the heck am I supposed to choose? Do you shoot high when you estimate or go right down the middle?

Replies

• Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I generally throw out the high and low and go with the average.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Vote with your feet..
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I generally throw out the high and low and go with the average.

i do the same thing. sometimes, you just got to wing it.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I find the closest thing on MFP, if I have to. I agree, though - I'd rather see calorie counts on all menus and I'll actively seek out somewhere that puts their nutritional information in store or online, and will choose it over somewhere that doesn't. Places that provide nutritional information get my custom.
  • navy1984
    navy1984 Posts: 57
    Options
    I always over-estimate. I used to work at a cafe and we served a veggie sandwich EVERYONE including employee's thought that it was the healthiest thing we served, turned out it was over 1200 calories and the sodium was SKY high. I think in Washington its a law that anywhere that serves food has to have the nutrional information available. They used to send my boss the information via email and she would print them out and put them into this binder. But yeah, when it doubt estimate high!
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I agree completely! It's maddening!! I also try to go with an average of the results I find. I usually try to aim a little high, though, just in case. I wish every restaurant could just provide nutrition info. It would be so nice!!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It's rare for places in the UK to give nutritional information so it can be quite tricky. I tend to judge based on the type of restaurant as to whether it'll be nearer the top end or the bottom end, or if I can, I estimate weights and ingredients and enter them separately.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I estimate it in the middle. But I totally agree with your post. I feel that for health purposes, all restaurants should have nutritional information available to customers. What about people who have heart issues and have to watch their cholesterol? etc. Just seems like common sense to me, but for some reason it's not a thing that happens. It upsets me sometimes.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Average the high and low.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Take an average and best guess. If it's under, bonus calories lost. If it is over, not like it will derail everything you've been doing. And you'll make up for it over the week.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Most restaurants barely break even. Offering nutritional info is just not a reality for a small restaurant. It is time consuming and has the potential for too much error. Big chains with standard menus that don't ever change have the capability of doing this, but their food pretty much sucks. Do your own legwork and support the independents. Requiring all restaurants to provide nutrional info would effectively shut down most of us.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Average the high and low.

This.
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I try to see if I can find the info on the restaurant/store website, if it's not there, then I'll either break down the item and enter as much as I can individually or I"ll find something as close to what I had in the listings. Restaurants, stores, and take out tend to be horribly high in sodium, fats, and just plain old calories in general. I hate when I think I'm making a good choice only to find out later it was twice what I guessed.
  • CollisionofNova
    Options
    I generally over estimate just to be safe. That or I find the average and exercise more.

I wish restaurants were required to disclose both nutritional and allergen information too. I'm so scared to eat dairy that I don't believe most people when they say there isn't any.
  • happypath101
    Options
    Agreed! I think you have to overestimate. I also think that sometimes the chef/cook in the kitchen doesn't give a rip about the recipe. So, even if you have the nutritional information, you should pad it a bit because the recipe might not be followed exactly. I have recently travelled to both New York and California where any rest. with more than (I think it's) 3 sites has to give you the nutritional information. To find out that one pretzel is 500 calories more than another I'd like just as well was AWESOME! On both trips, I only gained about 2 pounds. Usually I gain at least 5 when I travel. So, knowing what I was eating really made a difference.
  • bugbeenz
    bugbeenz Posts: 31
    Options
    No not at all. If I were to ask here for nutritional info I'd be laughed out of the restaurant. Good thing I would never ask.
  • niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else think that all restaurants should have to offer nutritional information upon request? I hate going to places to eat and playing the guessing game with my calorie intake. I had a chicken salad sandwich on 9 grain bread today at a local bakery (they are a small chain) and had to guess on what the calories were. They range from 170 calories on up to 700 calories on here. How in the heck am I supposed to choose? Do you shoot high when you estimate or go right down the middle?

One side benefit of monitoring my food intake that I had not considered was how much it forced me to eat at home. I used to eat out a couple of times a day, but now most meals are from home. Saves on the budget quite a bit. If I do end up eating out at a restaurant, it isn't that big of a deal to go with grilled items and avoid anything fried. I would guess on the calories and move on. No since stressing about it, since I am likely eating out to be with someone special, or for a special occasion.

Most restaurants barely break even. Offering nutritional info is just not a reality for a small restaurant. It is time consuming and has the potential for too much error. Big chains with standard menus that don't ever change have the capability of doing this, but their food pretty much sucks. Do your own legwork and support the independents. Requiring all restaurants to provide nutrional info would effectively shut down most of us.

I agree. If it is a real issue, let people vote with their feet. Sharp owners will wise up.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Why is it the restaurant's responsibility? Just ask. A good chef has no problem coming up with a substitute for your allergies and can also tell you how a dish was prepared. My husband is a chef and we had our own restaurant for six years. He was happy to accommodate all kinds of requests. It was actually fun for him because he got to come up with new dishes not on the current menu. If you are that freaked out about being super accurate on your cals, stay home.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I always over estimate. If you're trying to figure out say, what kind of oil they fry in, just ask. If you don't trust them to tell you that, why would you trust them to cook or handle your food?

Mom and pop places will often be able to tell you what brands they use, which is really helpful. But it's completely unrealistic to expect independent places (which I'd almost always pick to support over a chain) to have the means to provide absolutely accurate nutritional information. And as far as allergens go, I can only speak for where I'm from, but here it is the responsibility of the consumer to make the server aware of any food allergies they may have.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Don't want to disapoint anyone but these values can be off as high as 20% for a resturant and 10% for package food. I always take the high!

Standards of how to measure the values
    http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/Other/jfca10_102-114.pdf

Article about the differences found
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100105100021.htm