I need to change, and I need support!

Options
Hi all! I'm Rebecca, and like many others here, I'm trying to lose weight. I've tried many different "diets" before, but I could never stick with them and only ended up gaining the weight back (plus some more). I've made attempts alone, but I realized that I can't do this without a support system, and I'm hoping to find one here.

I'm looking to lose about 30 pounds by the end of the year. The problem is, I tore my ACL, MCL, and meniscus earlier this week. I can't walk without a brace and crutches, and I'm scheduled for surgery in June. I know losing weight will be difficult without being able to do "regular" exercise, but I know it will be possible! I just need motivation and support, and I'll try my best to provide the same to others while we're all working at it together.

Replies

• chrissysilk
    chrissysilk Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    you can do it just think of the outcome
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You can start with the food and continue with the exercise once you recover from the physical later. I broke my ankle and had to wait on recovery for 2 months, then had to deal with chronic migraines and all that came with getting that under control...but over the last 5 months I was able to loose 30 pounds from calorie counting so don't give up...use the tools here on MFP and you will do it! You can add me as a friend if you want :)
  • rheartc
    rheartc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, wasn't expecting replies so quickly! :)
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Try water aerobics or swimming? Perhaps the low impact will help. I understand how hard it is to get moving. I have to lose 180 pounds~Be kind and gentle with yourself. Don't give up.
  • MsNP
    MsNP Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with katiejarr. Work on what you are eating for now.
    You can also make plans for yourself for the different exercises you want to do. You will definitely have to work your way up from physical therapy, but it will all be worth it.
    For the time being, you can work on your upper body, or maybe look into yoga, to become more flexible. Stretching and strengthening your body will help prevent future injuries, and make you stronger as you work to lose the weight.
    I hope your surgery goes well. Good luck!
  • rheartc
    rheartc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I don't have access to a pool. For now, I'm "prehabbing" for surgery- basically just trying to keep my leg muscles from atrophying, and strengthening them as much as possible, given the limitations I'm dealing with. I definitely plan on working the upper body as much as I can! The biggest challenge at this point will be reducing my food intake, but I'll adjust. Thank you all for the advice!