Small Changes?

Options
QUESTION: If I just make small changes to my diet (having one scoop of ice cream instead of two, eating whole wheat bread instead of white), will I lose weight successfully? I have a tendency to be very extreme....meaning I will start cutting out EVERYTHING, only to eat those things again after I quit. I am just trying to reach a happy medium so that I will not quit again. I want to be realistic with my life change. I think going to the extremes like I usually do, is not going to work for me. What you do you think? Any advice?

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I have made small changes like that and I have lost weight so I would think it should work for you too.
  • ditzyFlip
    ditzyFlip Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's a great idea. :3 You could even try cutting out wheat entirely.. I've managed to pull that off in an Italian household. D; Pasta and bread everywhere!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have not cut a single thing out of my diet. There's no reason to eliminate foods just for the sake of eliminating them.
  • Justice2012
    Justice2012 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Soooo should I eat everything, but just in smaller portions? I am really lose here, cause I try and try to lose weight but always fail.
  • ditzyFlip
    ditzyFlip Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Well, if you want to talk controlling portion sizes, this link: http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-portion-size-plate is an interactive, fun way to grasp an idea of what your portion sizes look like. :D
  • StephC74
    StephC74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I still eat pretty much all the foods I ate before just less of them. I don't typically eat anything fried unless I go out to eat, try to eat whole grains and fresh fruits and veggies as much as possible and try not to over eat on junk food. I am trying to make changes that I can incorporate for a life time so I can keep the weight off when I get to my goal. Just keep logging your food and try to make small changes to get your calorie total down to your goal.
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Moderation and portion sizes is what it's all about. If you watch what you are eating - making sure that it has the nutrients you need, and how much you are eating - following recommended serving sizes, you will do fine, as long as you are following your calorie goals.

However, changes to behavior are really tough to make and maintain. Good rule of thumb is that it takes about 30 consistent days to change a habit (and those first 30 days can sure suck!). Small changes rather than large changes have a better chance of sticking, as you are less likely to give up.

Your thoughts in your initial post (1 scoop of ice cream rather than 2, whole wheat instead of white - I'd go further and say 1 slice instead of 2, as bread is, at least for most of the recipes, pretty calorific) is right on the money for taking those first steps to changes. Don't deny yourself something, just make sure you follow the portion sizes, and moderation is key!

Good luck - you can totally do this!
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Soooo should I eat everything, but just in smaller portions? I am really lose here, cause I try and try to lose weight but always fail.
    That is more or less what I've been working on. Some things I have cut out, like fast food and soda, but even those I will have once in awhile.
    I'm finally getting the portion control thing going well, so now Im trying to find some healthier alternatives.
    I'm the same way, one extreme or the other! Trying to teach myself better habits one step at a time, so far it's been working for me!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat the proper amount of calories, and as long as you get enough protein, get enough fat, and get enough vitamins and minerals, you can eat whatever you want.
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Small changes are good, but it's also important to keep track of what you eat. I started first by making sure I was within my calorie limits, what I ate wasn't as important as just watching the calorie total in general. It's also important to make sure you give yourself enough calories to eat, if you immediately restrict yourself to a pretty low number you are more likely to give up than if you start at a higher number and eventually work your way down as mfp suggests if you follow their guidelines. I haven't given up anything, I just eat much smaller portions of it.

Mfp has a great food logging system, use it to your advantage and you'll learn pretty quickly how to eat better and still have room for goodies.
  • jorowling
    jorowling Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Moderation and portion sizes is what it's all about. If you watch what you are eating - making sure that it has the nutrients you need, and how much you are eating - following recommended serving sizes, you will do fine, as long as you are following your calorie goals.

However, changes to behavior are really tough to make and maintain. Good rule of thumb is that it takes about 30 consistent days to change a habit (and those first 30 days can sure suck!). Small changes rather than large changes have a better chance of sticking, as you are less likely to give up.

Your thoughts in your initial post (1 scoop of ice cream rather than 2, whole wheat instead of white - I'd go further and say 1 slice instead of 2, as bread is, at least for most of the recipes, pretty calorific) is right on the money for taking those first steps to changes. Don't deny yourself something, just make sure you follow the portion sizes, and moderation is key!

Good luck - you can totally do this!

I love this reply. Informative and encouraging. Then I saw your weightloss ticker. Congrats on your weight loss. I would definitely follow your advice if I was the OP. Heck, I will follow it myself too.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat the proper amount of calories, and as long as you get enough protein, get enough fat, and get enough vitamins and minerals, you can eat whatever you want.

^^^^this

You have to limit your calories more than what you eat. Find out what your daily calories should be and how many calories should come from protein, fat and carbs. Of course making sure these foods include necessary nutrients as well is a good idea.

Simply not eating ice cream will not get you results if you just replace those calories with something else. Even if the replacement food is considered "healthy".