How much is too much?

Options
Lately, I've been on a bit of a protein kick... I've been wondering, though..how much is too much protein? What are the effects of having too much protein? Thanks for any advice and information :smile:

Replies

• Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how much is too much protein, but my doctor recommended that I eat 75-100 grams of protein a day to keep from losing lean muscle mass. The only carbs I eat are from fruits and vegetables.
  • LizSpar
    LizSpar Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks! I had about 98g today so according to those standards that was good. I'm hoping I can keep taking in all the protein I can get and not worry about their being a point of "too much". Congratulations on your 90 pounds lost so far! I'm just starting out and can't wait to get that far down the road!
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't think many people actually OD on protein, although there are many who take in more than the need - the result is a couple of things. One, too much protein in your system can cause malodorous issues when you go to the bathroom. It comes out through your tears (if you wear contacts, you're familiar with protein deposits on them). A couple of side effects can be failing to get in enough water or other nutrients because of a focus on protein, which can cause problems. And the obvious - too much protein may result in too many calories and therefore you gain or fail to lose weight.

I average about 150g of protein a day, and my blood work shows that my protein levels are actually on the low end (meaning I'm not getting enough). Not enough protein is a much greater concern - you can lose muscle mass (including thinning the heart walls so it's not just about looks). Low protein often manifests in edema and skin issues for me. If it continues, it can create a deadly cycle of malnutrition that requires TPN (nutrition via IV basically) and can kill you.

check out this link - he sums it up pretty well. http://www.daveywaveyfitness.com/nutrition/8-side-effects-of-too-much-protein/
  • LizSpar
    LizSpar Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for your input.. definitely good to know. I'm curious about what you mentioned about protein coming out through your tears and how it effects contacts. Could you elaborate on that? I wear contacts but I'm not sure I understand what you mentioned. Thanks, again!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Protein sucks up a lot of water, so if you aren't paying attention to your thirst, you may dehydrate yourself slightly. Also, if you have kidney problems, it can make them worse. Also if you take in so much protein that you fail to get in necessary minimums of fat, vitamins, and minerals, that can be bad. Otherwise, no real harm in it.

As for contacts, excess protein can be excreted through tears. That's why in the old days (the 90's :tongue: ) you had to occasionally soak your lenses in an enzymatic solution to break down the protein buildup on them. Nowadays, with the prevalence of disposable contacts, they get thrown away before protein has a real chance to build up.
  • Iceylyons
    Iceylyons Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    For me, MFP recommends 54g of protein daily. This doesn't sound like enough? Is there a general set amount for people? A dietitian from the hospital told my husband that she uses protein powder and averages 30g of protein per meal.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    The recommended protein intake is around 0.8g per kilo of bodyweight. If youre bodybuilding you may want to increase your protein as follows:

•Male -Semi Active: 1.7g of protein per kilo of bodyweight.
    •Male - Training 3 to 5 times per week: 2 to 2.5g of protein per kilo of bodyweight.
    •Male bodybuilder: 3 to 4g of protein per kilo of bodyweight.
    •Female Active: 0.9 to 1.2g of protein per kilo of bodyweight.
    •Female training 2 to 4 times per week: 1.5 to 2.2g of protein per kilo of bodyweight.
    •Female Bodybuilder: 2.5 to 3g of protein per kilo of bodyweight.

(Source: www.naturalmuscle.com.au)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    For me, MFP recommends 54g of protein daily. This doesn't sound like enough? Is there a general set amount for people? A dietitian from the hospital told my husband that she uses protein powder and averages 30g of protein per meal.
    0.8 grams per kilogram of bodyweight is the WHO recommendation. A non-athlete strength trainer (someone who is lifting weights for general health and fitness, not for athletic competition,) will actually be just fine with that amount of protein, as it gets the necessary amounts of essential amino acids in for the body to maintain muscle. Surprisingly enough, people who do mainly cardio for exercise actually need to consume higher levels of protein (1 gram per pound of lean body mass,) in order to counterbalance the catabolic effect that cardio has on muscle tissue.

Now, if your goal is to get to an athletic level of fitness (below average body fat, six pack abs, etc,) then you would have to eat like an athlete. That requires higher levels of protein, the general recommendation is 1 gram per pound of lean body mass.
  • Tonya_me
    Tonya_me Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been aiming for 180 grams of protein a day. For awhile, I felt like I had to urinate frequently and it was irritation caused by the excretion of protein by-products. It's been awhile since I read up on it and I don't remember the specifics off hand. My protein lab work was low. My nutritionist wanted me to up to 150 grams of protein. I felt like I was already getting around 130ish. I upped to 160 but if I had an off day with the protein, I felt wiped out the next day. So, I upped to 180. I feel that this has done well to build my protein levels up, although this hasn't been confirmed yet via labs. I have been slacking for close to two weeks on my protein, though, but for me that means I've been getting in between 130 to 150 grams/day. Just a note, I've been having trouble dropping the wt. My wt loss has stopped. I've had the DS wls and am 1 year 3 months post op. The wt loss became sporadic about 5 months ago. Over the last two or three months, it's been going no where. I hate to say it, cutting back on my protein might be helping me start to drop a little wt. But, I think the real thing has been for me to cut back on carbs. I'm a carb-o-holic. But, the 180 grams of protein a day don't seem to be doing lots to help me move my wt either. But.. I don't exercise regularly. Bottom line - I'm saying get in the protein if you need it and then tweak, tweak, tweak to find a diet routine that works for you.
  • Tonya_me
    Tonya_me Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to stress, when I talk about getting in 180 grams of protein a day, I've had Duodenal Switch wt loss surgery and I have A LOT of malabsorption because of it. I'm guessing I malabsorb 40 to 50% of my protein intake. If you haven't had wt loss surgery, the 98 grams of protein you said you're getting in is plenty, plenty plenty! But, play with the amount and pay close attention to how your body feels. Your body will lead you.