10 days in 1 bowel movement

Options
Hi everyone this is kind of embarrassing to ask but I changed my diet majorly 10 days ago I have gone from a high fat hi carb diet to lots of fresh fruit heaps of veggies and lean meats.. this 360 change in my diet has seen me drop 9.9lbs in 10 days, however I have only had one bowel movement... Is this common. I don't feel constipated and bloated at all but a little concerned. I have in total about 95lbs to loose...

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I had major digestive issues when I first started. I went from eating crap all the time to eating food that was good for me - it took me quite awhile to adjust (and I still have issues occasionally). I think it is normal. Make sure you're getting enough water. When you eat junk food there's more "waste" than if you're eating whole, healthy, nutritious foods (it was how my doctor explained it to me when I called and was worried). :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: Not a medical professional, this is just a personal opinion

No, this isnt normal. When I go on heavy fruits and veggies diet, I have more regular BM rather than fewer...Not sure what your situation is but you may wanna talk to a doctor or something at this point
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    10 lbs in 10 days is not healthy, and neither is 1 bowel movement in that time period. Are you eating enough? I might recommend seeing a doctor
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Wow. Be sure to weigh in after the next one!
  • Petskies101
    Options
    I am eating 3 meals a day plus snacks, averaging about 1300 calories a day.. and when I say a complete 360 I mean it
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I am eating 3 meals a day plus snacks, averaging about 1300 calories a day.. and when I say a complete 360 I mean it
    I think when you say 360 you probably mean 180.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem. A friend suggested I use Benefiber and it works real well. I haven't had the problem since I started using it. Good luck.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    if you JUST recently started watching what you eat and woring out then for the first week or so big weight loss is fine and normal however the 1 BM in 10 days is definitely not normal
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: Not a medical professional, this is just a personal opinion

No, this isnt normal. When I go on heavy fruits and veggies diet, I have more regular BM rather than fewer...Not sure what your situation is but you may wanna talk to a doctor or something at this point

Same here. I did a similar major change in my diet and have had more regular BM... I would talk to your doctor. & 10lbs in 10days is a bit unhealthey and high too =/
  • Petskies101
    Options
    yes 180 is what I mean, Sorry it was a long night with 2 young kids refusing to sleep... I should also add that I know the weight loss thus far is a lot and I do not expect to maintain that kind of weight loss I think my body is in shock...
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It can take a while to adjust... If you're taking in a lot more meat than you used to, you need to make sure to balance that well with a ton of salad veggies and lots of water. When I started low-carbing I had a similar cycle, and even began describing gas as 'atkins farts' because of the effect of having to wait too long...

If your going ten days, colace for a couple days (sp?) is a pretty gentle way to induce the needed body response. If you're needing to continue doing that, I would see a Dr. or look for something else causing the issue in your diet.

(My opinion only)
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you're drinking enough water. A lot of people find when they increase their fiber they get constipated since there's all that bulk and they're not drinking enough water to push it through easily. At least that's what my nurse husband just told me when I was like, "10 days no sh-- bowel movement"
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    This is counterintuitive, because as a previous poster mentioned it is more common to have the opposite problem when you start introducing lots of fibrous fruits and vegetables into your diet. That said, you really need to take a #2... 10 days is a long time. I recommend trying a NATURAL supplement or laxative tea before trying stronger OTC meds. Give it time, don't stress, drink a ton of water, and PUSH! LOL
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    seems odd to me if you are consuming lots of fresh fruit you should have very regular BM's
  • AmberFaith90
    AmberFaith90 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, that's odd. I went from eating no-fruits and little veggies to eating bunches of both. I went from requiring laxatives in order to have a BM to having 1-2 BMs a day in a matter of 1-2 days of starting eating clean.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    seems odd to me if you are consuming lots of fresh fruit you should have very regular BM's

I am an odd one in that fruits and veggies don't seem to get me moving. When I eat them it actually backs things up for me. Weird, I know - but it has always been like that for me. The more fruits, veggies, salad I would eat - the worse it would get. *shrug*

My doctor explained it as sometimes when we're eating a lot of things that are good for us and not a lot of junk, our bodies simply don't have the same amount of waste as it does when consuming "junk" foods. I find drinking enough water helps me the most.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    10 days, yikes! Last October, I was in so much pain from 5 days that I went to the Urgent Care and got a prescription to help move things along. I can't imagine 10 days!

Sounds like people have made some good suggestions. Do make sure you are drinking a ton of water. Try some home remedies - prune juice, OTC meds - there are lots of things you can get at your grocery store. But truthfully, I'd try to get in a see your doctor. Or at least call and talk to them. Better safe than sorry. If you start feeling sick or throwing up, definitely go in right away.

Also, as far as 10 pounds go, no that is not normal if you are in the middle of the process. However, if you are just starting out and haven't done this before - it's likely mostly water weight.
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    Try eating 7 - 10 dehydrated apricots. I've read about them on MFP before, for this same problem. Good luck!
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone this is kind of embarrassing to ask but I changed my diet majorly 10 days ago I have gone from a high fat hi carb diet to lots of fresh fruit heaps of veggies and lean meats.. this 360 change in my diet has seen me drop 9.9lbs in 10 days, however I have only had one bowel movement... Is this common. I don't feel constipated and bloated at all but a little concerned. I have in total about 95lbs to loose...

Would be great if you share your Food Diary.

Something doesn't add up.

Here is why:
    a) You were on a "high fat hi carb diet", and now are on "lots of fresh fruits, veggies and lean meats"
    The fruits are high in carbs, so if you eat a lot of them you will be also high in carbs.
    If that is the case, then what you did is reduce fat and increased protein (that may explain constipation).
    Could you share your diary?

b) As another poster said, with more fruits and veggies you should have loads of fiber, that should help your digestion.
    So it is not normal to have 1 bowel movement in 10 days !

c) weight reduction: I would not be concerned. If you really went low in carbs, what is happening can be explained:
    http://www.justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/
  • hornedone
    hornedone Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    increase your water and possibly healthy fats (olive oil).
    good luck!!!!