Do you believe you can damage your metabolism by eating too

Options

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I was on a medically supervised VLCD I was between 600 and 800 calories for 15 weeks. After that, the last 6 months I've been trying slowly to increase my calories and I'm in the 1400-1800 range now. Technically I should still be loosing weight, but I've gained back about 10 pounds from my low. My memory, energy level and endurance is still not what it should be. I can feel my metabolism is still not right. I hope it is not permanently damaged, but it is still certainly suppressed.

thank you very much for sharing this. It can be restored...it will be restored BUT you have to be willing to increase your calories to true maintenance and gain some weight back, otherwise you'll always be living on 1400-1800 (a weight loss amount for MOST men).

Wow, that really puts it in perspective. Honestly, while I DO believe in starvation mode, I've been tempted to scale back on my calories anyway. Maybe I won't.

It was the lack of calories (and nutrition) that caused your metabolism to slow (not the lack of carbs. In the absence of carbs you have got eat plenty of fat and protein so your body gets the fuel and can maintain it's glucose level. People on VLC diet have higher than normal morning blood sugars. My belief is the is the body giving itself the glucose it needs to get through the day (this is just a thought I had. I haven't read that anywhere and have no idea it is fact. I could be entire wrong on the last sentence).

The only thing in your body that absolutely has to have glucose is red blood cells. That's it. Your brain can use ketones from fat-burning. You brain will also use L-glutamate for fuel. (This is a great supplement when you are trying to transition your body from sugar-burning over to fat-burning).
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I think you are just trying to start something. I hope people don't fall for it and we see more of the explanations that are archived in the forums hundreds of times.
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Do you believe you can damage your metabolism by eating too little.

I don't. I don't believe there is anything such thing as 'starvation mode' either.

What thinks all of you?

I don't believe in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny either but people on VLCDs can experience a significant loss of lean muscle mass which in turn lowers their BMR. It's not a matter of faith, it's a fact. It doesn't happen overnight but it does happen.

Christ on a cracker, THIS. Exactly this.

It's like how people "don't believe" in global warming, or other scientifically based facts.

Math and science are not something you can "choose" to believe in. Really.

Lol, don't get me started on Global Warmig. That's a buttload of political fake.

I do hope that statement is facetious......:noway:
    Nope, but I've read enough on it that I'm fairly confident that it's made up. The "Man Made" warming, that it.

Ooh, well, this would be a prime example then, of a preponderance of scientific evidence being ignored for no reason, other than a lack of "belief" in said scientific evidence.
    You can knock off the sarcasm, lady. There are plenty of scientists who are sketipcal of global warming, and or flatout call it a myth, I'm surprised someone as educated as yourself hasn't bothered to do some research on it. This isn't really the time or place to argue about it though, I suppose, since it's a thread about starvation mode.

There was no sarcasm, I'm being quite sincere, and yes, I have done research, which is why I understand the science behind it. Notice I didn't say "believe"

And honestly, this topic is a mirror image of not "believing" the science behind metabolic decline on a VLC diet, so I think it's a perfect example to shed some light on just why people don't understand the science behind things like this.
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options

EDIT: Sorry if I sound rude but I hate seeing such a misleading post like this that tend to mislead others who are trying their best to live a healthy life.

^^^^ This. Thank you.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options

I don't. I don't believe there is anything such thing as 'starvation mode' either.

What thinks all of you?

I don't believe in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny either but people on VLCDs can experience a significant loss of lean muscle mass which in turn lowers their BMR. It's not a matter of faith, it's a fact. It doesn't happen overnight but it does happen.

Not true. I follow a very low carb diet and just watched my daily calorie burn take a jump. As long as you are getting enough protein/fat your body won't eat into your muscle mass. I make sure also to get enough protein so that if my body needs to make glucose it will from protein.

I also don't eat VLC processed crap. As long as you are giving your body the nutrients it needs your metabolism won't slow down.
    "If you can't pick, dig or spear it, don't eat it. Mostly spear".
    (gnolls.org)

I'm pretty sure he meant very low calorie diet not carb diet considering we are talking about starvation mode in this topic.
  • reneeramirez4christ
    reneeramirez4christ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Well, studying this in the medical field I have found that it causes more damage than just to one's metabolism. I find it sad that people under eat as a way to lose weight or try these insane fad diets and "miracle diets" to lose weight. None of gained all this weight over night yet we expect it to come off that way. Being healthy is the most important and to do that weight loss must be slow and gradual, and we need to give our bodies what it needs, a MINIMUM of 1200 calories a day.
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    About 72% of your body (brain, heart, lungs, especially the liver) requires a certain amount of calories just to function properly. 9 times out of 10, less than 1200 calories isnt going to cover it. And your daily activities (walking, cooking, typing on the computer, etc)? You need even more calories to feed those working muscles in the other 28% of your body.

So yes, eating too little calories can indeed impair the function of your organs in the longrun.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    There have been ream upon ream of studies of "yoyo" dieters, folks who get their weight down using very low calorie diets, go back to eating normally, gain it back, repeat ad nauseum. It does a bit more damage each time and makes it more and more difficult to lose the weight so the diets become more extreme. In the end it usually takes a doctors care and lots of determination and skill to get it off and keep it off. A modest deficit "500 calories or so" from maintenance has been shown to be effective in permanent weight loss. Living at a 1,000 or more deficit for months has been shown to cause permanent changes in the subjects body that make it difficult to keep the weight off and metabolize food correctly. So yes in short burst or for the morbidly obese VLC diets do work. For a lifetime of health and fitness they don't.

However, you will not change the mind fo someone who says "I eat 800 calories a day, lose weight and feel great". They are seeing results, in our instant gratification world slow and steady is not considered acceptable by many young folks, they want to be skinny now and who cares what they look like when they are over 40, lol.
  • gettingthinandfit
    Options
    Honestly, when I ate less than 1200 calories consistently, I didn't lose weight, in fact I gained it and I lost muscle. So I do think my metabolism slowed down. I had less energy. AND when I upped my calories to 1200, I started losing weight. and gained the energy I need to build back muscle that I lost.

Proof
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options

What thinks all of you?

It's like how people "don't believe" in global warming, or other scientifically based facts.

Lol, don't get me started on Global Warmig. That's a buttload of political fake.

Nope, but I've read enough on it that I'm fairly confident that it's made up. The "Man Made" warming, that it.

Ooh, well, this would be a prime example then, of a preponderance of scientific evidence being ignored for no reason, other than a lack of "belief" in said scientific evidence.
    Considering that scientists are backing off, as well as admissions that evidence was skewed, I would contend that the skeptical attitude is the more knoweledgable one, quite frankly!
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Oh I am popping the popcorn and getting my seat in the front cause this is going to be good.

I'm with her!
  • WorkoutMaine
    Options

What thinks all of you?

Blindly following science is bad also. That's why the autism linked to vaccines scandal happened. Also if you look at the test sites for global warming you will stop believing in that too. When you put a thermometer in the middle of a blacktop parking lot it will show it is hotter in that area. Think for yourselves please.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

What thinks all of you?

Not true. I follow a very low carb diet and just watched my daily calorie burn take a jump. As long as you are getting enough protein/fat your body won't eat into your muscle mass. I make sure also to get enough protein so that if my body needs to make glucose it will from protein.

HUH? Re-think that. What does your macronutrient composition have to do with the assertion that VLCDs cause a metabolic decline?

Are you on a high protein VLCD? Connect the dots for us because this makes no sense.

I don't diet. VLC is my lifestyle. I don't track calories or macronutrients. I eat leafy greens and veggies on occasion. I'm 5'2" and 108lbs. I get probably around 60-100g of protein a day. I really don't know. I guess if the word diet is used then I follow a high-fat diet. I have to eat a lot of fat to maintain my weight.

I don't know if the question was for me.

and N=1.
  • LizKurz
    Options
    There have been ream upon ream of studies of "yoyo" dieters, folks who get their weight down using very low calorie diets, go back to eating normally, gain it back, repeat ad nauseum. It does a bit more damage each time and makes it more and more difficult to lose the weight so the diets become more extreme. In the end it usually takes a doctors care and lots of determination and skill to get it off and keep it off. A modest deficit "500 calories or so" from maintenance has been shown to be effective in permanent weight loss. Living at a 1,000 or more deficit for months has been shown to cause permanent changes in the subjects body that make it difficult to keep the weight off and metabolize food correctly. So yes in short burst or for the morbidly obese VLC diets do work. For a lifetime of health and fitness they don't.

However, you will not change the mind fo someone who says "I eat 800 calories a day, lose weight and feel great". They are seeing results, in our instant gratification world slow and steady is not considered acceptable by many young folks, they want to be skinny now and who cares what they look like when they are over 40, lol.

Bam, you hit the nail on the head. It's the instant gratification that skews the perception.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    If it wasn't true then slow downs in BMR's wouldn't show up in studies, but they do.
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Oh about the "PETPEEVE" thread a few days ago I need to add.

"People starting a thread like this just to get something started."

'
  • Ncdaniel16
    Ncdaniel16 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    umm then why are there eating disorders? This is not the smartest post....Do you know your brain itself needs a certain amount of calories to even function? But please do go ahead and starve yourself!.................
    Wow, how about being nice.

Agreed...This is suppose to be a support website...We shouldn't critique those who aren't as knowledged in certain subjects, just help them to gain information...

Hope everyone else is having a great Easter weekend though!! :)
  • LizKurz
    Options

What thinks all of you?

Considering that scientists are backing off, as well as admissions that evidence was skewed, I would contend that the skeptical attitude is the more knoweledgable one, quite frankly!

Skepticism is fine, but once evidence has been placed on the table, one has to weigh said evidence. And if the overwhelming majority of the evidence is pointing in a specific direction, saying "I don't believe" is simply burying your head in the sand.

Now with global warming, I get it, because of the socio-political benefits of certain companies and individuals who are benefiting, what I don't get is that no one is benefiting from the "belief" that a VLC diet is not only not harmful, but beneficial. They only lose out, so why the struggle with it?
  • jcgrant43
    jcgrant43 Posts: 64
    Options

What thinks all of you?

HUH? Re-think that. What does your macronutrient composition have to do with the assertion that VLCDs cause a metabolic decline?

Are you on a high protein VLCD? Connect the dots for us because this makes no sense.

I don't diet. VLC is my lifestyle. I don't track calories or macronutrients. I eat leafy greens and veggies on occasion. I'm 5'2" and 108lbs. I get probably around 60-100g of protein a day. I really don't know. I guess if the word diet is used then I follow a high-fat diet. I have to eat a lot of fat to maintain my weight.

I don't know if the question was for me.

and N=1.

There may be a misunderstanding here with the acronym VLCD. I believe the gentlemen who initially posted was talking about a Very Low Calorie Diet, and @hpsnickers1 seems to have taken it as a Very Low Carb Diet, which is understandable, but are two very different things. Yes?

And to the OP...yes, starvation mode exists. It has always existed. Its how our species has survived times of famine, its how small children all over the world survive, when they are existing on nothing but air and prayers. All you ever have to experience is delivering rice to starving people, and watching them bloat and get sick with the rush of calories and carbs they haven't had for ages.....that madame is starvation mode.....there is nothing to believe or disbelieve, you can see it with your own eyes in too many places in the world.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    *munching popcorn also*...