WAY confused, and upset.

Options
So I started this process about 2 weeks ago. In week one, I lost 6.8lbs or so... with maintaining my 1630 Calorie Intake, jogging, running, and using my stationary bike. Since week two I have incorporated the Insanity Workout and continued with 1630 calories a day, in which I've NEVER gone over. I weighed in this morning and haven't lost a single pound at all. I'm totally upset about it, too. This makes me want to throw in the towel on Insanity and go back to what I was doing before... for it seemed to work...

I really don't know what to do - some suggested upping my calorie intake, so I tweaked my profile, and now it's at 2,040. Is that even right? I mean, I don't know what the hell to do at this point, but not losing is frightening me, especially when I have SO much to lose.

What gives?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Fueling the machine! 2k sounds like a good place to start!
    Protein and Fat should be around 30% each in macros too.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    You could be building muscle which could explain the scale not moving. Muscle takes up less space than fat so you need to measure you hips, thighs , waist and bust and track if you are losing inches. Do your clothes fit different, are they looser? if they answer is yes then you are losing fat. The scale will follow.
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you are doing the insanity workout odds are you have gained some muscle and retained a little fluid. Keep on your current path for atleast three more weeks and then you will see better results
  • ldmaking
    ldmaking Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    First of all, well done on the 6.8 lbs., that's fantastic!

Perhaps the only advice I can give is make sure you're getting enough protein in your diet. All the calorie counting won't matter if you body doesn't have the protein to fuel it through all of that exercising. I was going through the same thing and then, through the advice of a friend, started to strategically increase my protein and fibre. And it's making a difference!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I think you're expecting instantaneous results. Weight comes off annoyingly slowly, and frustratingly unevenly. 2 weeks is a really short space of time - what you were doing sounded good, I'd stick at it for at least a month.
  • Amburglar
    Amburglar Posts: 32
    Options
    Are you taking body measurements, as well? For me, it always seems like when the scales doesn't move, that's when I'm losing inches and vice versa.
  • therevelator
    Options
    Are you taking body measurements, as well? For me, it always seems like when the scales doesn't move, that's when I'm losing inches and vice versa.

I haven't done any measuring. Ought to get with that program I guess.
  • alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I know how frustrating it can be, but my first advice is to calm down.

It's only been two weeks. If it were me, I wouldn't start monkeying around with settings right now. If in two more weeks you still haven't seen a change, then you can look at what you're doing.

The most important thing to realize is that weight loss is not strictly linear. I'll give you myself as an example: (I'm a daily weigher, it works for me, many people find it much too stressful)

Last Saturday: 161.8
    Sunday: 166.4
    Monday: 165.6
    Tuesday: 164.6
    Wednesday: 164.6
    Thursday: 163.8
    Friday: 165.6
    Today: 160.8

I did not freak out on Sunday, I knew I had not gained 4.6 pounds of fat overnight. I did not freak out on Friday, I knew I had not gained 1.8 pounds overnight. When I compare my Saturday to Saturday weights, I lost a pound and I logged that. But that does not mean that I have lost a pound every single Saturday (I wish!).

As your body adjusts to new and increased amounts of fitness activities, your muscles will temporarily store water. That's okay! It will settle down soon.
  • mimstero
    mimstero Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Do you think you are burning a lot more calories lately? I would definitely adjust your eating because it does seem that your body needs the extra fuel. And really, truly believe that muscle weighs more than fat....
    Not to mention, if you watch "The Biggest Loser," you know that the contestants always drop off the second or third week. Keep at it!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Week 1 is NOT going to be typical weight loss. You probably lost a pound or two, but the rest is water weight. When we go to eating healthy and exercising all of a sudden, the body flushes extra water out. Keep doing what you're doing and the weight will come off. Don't expect to do what they do on reality TV, it is not typical and it is dangerous if you don't have a professional personal fitness instructor at your side 24/7. Slow down. That's what MFP is all about. Learn to eat healthy and lose weight sensibly. That way you will know how to lead a healthy lifestyle and how to eat right all the time and not just in a panic to drop a lot of weight.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Is the 1600 your NET calories or total? If you upped exercise you need to up your total calories so you meet your net calories.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    That's an amazing first week loss!!! Give it a little more time. Please add me as a friend if you'd like! You'll see results if you stick with it! Don't get discouraged!!!
  • therevelator
    Options
    Do you think you are burning a lot more calories lately? I would definitely adjust your eating because it does seem that your body needs the extra fuel. And really, truly believe that muscle weighs more than fat....
    Not to mention, if you watch "The Biggest Loser," you know that the contestants always drop off the second or third week. Keep at it!

I have been burning a lot of calories lately - because sometimes I don't just sit with Insanity - I also throw in a run! I've been doing excellent with eating, and exercising, I'm just having a moment of Veruca Salt "I WANT IT NOW!"

Everyone's advice is really helpful. Some suggested a week of Insanity, then a week of my own work outs. I might tackle that idea, too -- and just keep experimenting until I find the perfect combination of things to do that works for me.

I DID up my calorie intake today - because with all my physical activity, maybe I'm not taking in enough - but I can hardly see meeting 2040 calories, when I've never even been over my 1630!

I'm going to mix things up a little, and go from there.
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Yup! You'll flucuate all over the place.

It will take time. The reason MFP is the program that finally worked for me is that I realized that expecting instant results was derailing my previous weight loss efforts. I wanted to lose 20 lbs in 2 weeks & when that didn't happen I would quit. This is for life, not just a quick fix. Keep going, it just makes sense that if you're eating better, eating less than you need to maintain while exercising you will get smaller and more fit.

Good for you for losing the 6.8 already! That's great!
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Since I started weight training I've gained about 6-7 lbs. My clothes fit the same - some fit better. You have to look at the big picture. And having a loss like 6.8 is huge so you body might want to hold on to some this week because of that. Don't give up.
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    HHHMMMM. 2 weeks is all you are going to give yourself? Its taken years to put that stuff on, your not going to get rid of it overnight. One of the posters was right when he said it's not linear. You may see that weight go up some, go down. Women TOM makes a big difference. i normally drop 5 lbs of water weight at the end of it. The point is, Be patient with yourself. Dont jack with the settings until you know for a fact that you have not lost any weight at all in over a month in a half to 3 months. That would be a significant platue in which I would think its time to find out where you are going wrong. Also, Keep in mind that Muscle takes up less space than Fat. So you may loose inches not weight. There has been plenty of times that I posted I was on a platue because I didnt loose anything for two or three weeks. I got frustrated and would post then I would go measure and I would be down an inch to inch in a half. You are still loosing if you loose inchs.

My point is. You need to give yourself ample time to loose. SOME MFP'ers have been doing this for well over a year and still loosing. Dont get yourself convinced that you are going to drop weight overnight and be at the perfect body in 2 weeks.
  • nbsambucca
    nbsambucca Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I think you're expecting instantaneous results. Weight comes off annoyingly slowly, and frustratingly unevenly. 2 weeks is a really short space of time - what you were doing sounded good, I'd stick at it for at least a month.

'Annoyingly' & 'Frustratingly unevenly'.... the BEST description of weight loss I have ever read :mad:
  • therevelator
    Options
    It's not that I am wanting results immediately (for the most part) - I just want to see and feel changes with as hard as I've been working. I don't intend on giving up my exercise, and healthy eating -- just doing the INSANITY every single day -- because of the soreness in my muscles and the way it prohibits me from doing much else.

Not getting discouraged, not getting discouraged. I've come up with this plan : Insanity every other day for me -- but my biking and running continues every day. I'll see how this works for me. I forget to THINK sometimes, and now that I've gotten advice from my circle of awesome -- I'm THINKING. This isn't a quick fix, a temporary thing, I'm a lifer. This means that I have plenty of time to experiment with foods, and exercise until I can find what's right for me. Calming down. I swear. Lol.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    ***********************************WARNING I ABOUT TO BE VERY BLUNT**********************************************************
    So you have been doing this for two weeks and week one you saw results yet week two you did not and now you are ready to toss in the towel. Go ahead and give-up this is not the journey for you. There are going to be many bumps in the road and if you are going to deal with each bump by jumping straight to I quit, save yourself and those in your support system a lot of time. Here is a couple of hints, you did not get to this point in your life in two weeks; You are a female and will face an additional challenge every 28 days; You are going to hit plateaus various times in this journey.
    Now take that towel and wipe the sweat off your brow. With what you are doing yes you will drop weight the first week, your body adjusts to the new program and week two you are adding addition calorie burn without replacing it. Now your body is looking to store where it can. It takes a few weeks for your body to adjust to a new program. Take your baseline metabolic rate, add your exercise and work from there to determine where your caloric intake should be. Everyone is different and you will need to do some experimentation to find what is going to work for you.
  • castaliavt
    castaliavt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Think about it this way - you've averaged 3.4 lbs a week.

When you lose a lot one week, your body needs some time to adjust and you can level out for a time before losing more.

I lost 1.5 a couple of weeks ago and then nothing for the past 2. i peeked this morning and I'm down .5, but my official weigh in day is Thursday, so I'll log my weight then.

Look for a downward trend, not weekly big losses. And think about it this way, if you can average a pound a week, you'll be down over 50 lbs in a year!