WAY confused, and upset.

Options

Replies

• MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Week 1 is NOT going to be typical weight loss. You probably lost a pound or two, but the rest is water weight. When we go to eating healthy and exercising all of a sudden, the body flushes extra water out. Keep doing what you're doing and the weight will come off. Don't expect to do what they do on reality TV, it is not typical and it is dangerous if you don't have a professional personal fitness instructor at your side 24/7. Slow down. That's what MFP is all about. Learn to eat healthy and lose weight sensibly. That way you will know how to lead a healthy lifestyle and how to eat right all the time and not just in a panic to drop a lot of weight.

This
  • therevelator
    Options
    ***********************************WARNING I ABOUT TO BE VERY BLUNT**********************************************************
    So you have been doing this for two weeks and week one you saw results yet week two you did not and now you are ready to toss in the towel. Go ahead and give-up this is not the journey for you. There are going to be many bumps in the road and if you are going to deal with each bump by jumping straight to I quit, save yourself and those in your support system a lot of time. Here is a couple of hints, you did not get to this point in your life in two weeks; You are a female and will face an additional challenge every 28 days; You are going to hit plateaus various times in this journey.
    Now take that towel and wipe the sweat off your brow. With what you are doing yes you will drop weight the first week, your body adjusts to the new program and week two you are adding addition calorie burn without replacing it. Now your body is looking to store where it can. It takes a few weeks for your body to adjust to a new program. Take your baseline metabolic rate, add your exercise and work from there to determine where your caloric intake should be. Everyone is different and you will need to do some experimentation to find what is going to work for you.

I don't think you read - not thinking of QUITTING the journey, sir - just the work out program I'm on to replace it with another.

I appreciate the bluntness, but not the discouragement.
  • therevelator
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's input.

Again - I'm not intending on quitting, just re-thinking INSANITY. I don't know if it's the right program for me.

Time will tell, because with the advice I've learned several things:

- Ups and Downs are FINE.
    - Muscle could be adding up here.
    - I'm on the right path!

It's all good. I had a brief lapse of reasoning, but I'm not going anywhere. :happy:
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    I read recently that you should give any program four weeks before you starting changing things. It isn't always about the weight on the scale. I'm not saying that isn't an important part too. Just the same thing I tell myself if I go through a time when the weight loss has stalled. I focus on how much more energy I have, how much better my mood is, how proud I am of myself for eating healthy, how much better my clothes fit and look on me,and how much stronger I feel. I guess that is my internal pep talk. Feel free to use any part of it that works for you =) For what it's worth, I think you are doing fantastic. Hang in there. It is a long journey. As I see results I keep changing my end goal and part of my new mindset is that there is no end goal. This is a healthy lifestyle choice and way I want to keep on living.

Just read your update. I think Insanity is fantastic! I only use six moves I found in an online article, but it has really made me stronger. Wish I had the whole program.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Week 2 is notoriously anti-climactic compared to the excitement of week one's loss. Keep at it and your hard work can't help but pay off!
  • smurfettel64
    smurfettel64 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Is it around that TOM? I usually gain a few days before that so when I know it is around that time I usually don't bother weighing in for that week, this way I don't stress about it and weigh in after it is done instead.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    ***********************************WARNING I ABOUT TO BE VERY BLUNT**********************************************************
    So you have been doing this for two weeks and week one you saw results yet week two you did not and now you are ready to toss in the towel. Go ahead and give-up this is not the journey for you. There are going to be many bumps in the road and if you are going to deal with each bump by jumping straight to I quit, save yourself and those in your support system a lot of time. Here is a couple of hints, you did not get to this point in your life in two weeks; You are a female and will face an additional challenge every 28 days; You are going to hit plateaus various times in this journey.
    Now take that towel and wipe the sweat off your brow. With what you are doing yes you will drop weight the first week, your body adjusts to the new program and week two you are adding addition calorie burn without replacing it. Now your body is looking to store where it can. It takes a few weeks for your body to adjust to a new program. Take your baseline metabolic rate, add your exercise and work from there to determine where your caloric intake should be. Everyone is different and you will need to do some experimentation to find what is going to work for you.

I don't think you read - not thinking of QUITTING the journey, sir - just the work out program I'm on to replace it with another.

I appreciate the bluntness, but not the discouragement.

OP, yhea your right I did mis-read that you were only looking at quitting Insanity. Guess I was blinded by others who whimper that they want to quit because it is to difficult. Stick with what you are doing for a few weeks before quitting Insanity.
  • MissVickie220
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP... I just applied 2 day The 1st veek is usually vater intake . Ask yourselph are u drinking enough vater? Any sodas? I myselph vould not take in 2,000 plus calories Use your tovel to vipe the sveat oph your phace phrom exercising. * I do no hov to spell this is it I don't have a DUB=A=U so drink your vater I use v missing that 1st letter, ok 4 I can't spell it phor missing the phirst letter....* Bare vith me on this. LOL I am going to read some bios so I can get to no some ppl. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Week 2 is notoriously anti-climactic compared to the excitement of week one's loss. Keep at it and your hard work can't help but pay off!

This ^^^^^^^^^^ is so true. Week 2 sucks! You might lose up to three pounds on week 3 just to make up for week 2. You can search the boards for week 2 results and see how lousy the results are for many. Everyone questions week 2. I found that eating more and having some spike days in week 2 or if you are of week 2 then in week 3 will help you start losing again.
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Definitely take measurements and even photos for comparison purposes in a few weeks' time. I did Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and lost no weight but several inches from various places so knowing that gave me the encouragement to keep up with the exercise. Had I not seen the inch loss, the evil scales might have made me pack it all in!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I would definitely UP the cals. When I did insanity, I was eating 1800+ (net!!). It burns a huge amount, and you need to eat!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I am usually cautious about the intake increase community unless you are going really low...... Yes, there is a relationship between intake and maintaining your metabolism... Simply because when you are eating, your body is digesting which in itself burns calories. That being said, it is more than the calories you eat but what is in those caloies.

It is also true that muscle weighs more than fat so you can lose inches while gaining weight... or maintaining. However, on the short term, it is less likely to make a major difference.

Here is what I think is likely going on.. Your first week, you lose water weight... After that, that begins to taper and you start losing fat more. Scales are fickle... Water weight varies. If you weigh daily, you will see those fluctuations. I would not worry too much unless this plateau lasts more than a couple of weeks. When I hit these plateaus, I usually try to do something sort of extreme... either a major exercise (sweating) session and or cut back more than usual to jump start. I would not do that long term of course since you want to lose fat and not muscle. Best wishes. Stay on track and you will get there

Another thing, MFP is set to go to either a 1 lb per week or 2 lb per week weight loss. That being said, the heavier you are, the more calories you burn. .That being said, the more you lose, the fewer calories you will be allowed to achieve the same results since your weight maintenance metabolism decreases (since you are less heavy).. the good news in this is that you can burn far more calories because you are ABLE TO MOVE and do more strenuous things...
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Corrolary on calorie intake... If you are burning a lot of calories and trying to gross only the 1600 calories, you will start to lose energy. By all means in this case, EAT, EAT EAT... just be sensible about it and eat plenty of balanced food... especially protein for muscle.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    A pair of tight jeans would be a great way to measure your progress!!! Just try them on once a week and see how loose they get. The scale isn't always a great friend for those of us that are building muscle. When you replace fat with muscle, you will end up with a firmer body, but that means a slower weight loss. Those jeans are gonna give you the results you're looking for, no matter what the scale says!!!!
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It can be frustrating because your going to lose more at first then it's gonna take a little bit longer. Start doing measurements too! Stay with it, 2 weeks isn't very long at all!
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I know how frustrating it can be, but my first advice is to calm down.

It's only been two weeks. If it were me, I wouldn't start monkeying around with settings right now. If in two more weeks you still haven't seen a change, then you can look at what you're doing.

The most important thing to realize is that weight loss is not strictly linear. I'll give you myself as an example: (I'm a daily weigher, it works for me, many people find it much too stressful)

Last Saturday: 161.8
    Sunday: 166.4
    Monday: 165.6
    Tuesday: 164.6
    Wednesday: 164.6
    Thursday: 163.8
    Friday: 165.6
    Today: 160.8

I did not freak out on Sunday, I knew I had not gained 4.6 pounds of fat overnight. I did not freak out on Friday, I knew I had not gained 1.8 pounds overnight. When I compare my Saturday to Saturday weights, I lost a pound and I logged that. But that does not mean that I have lost a pound every single Saturday (I wish!).

As your body adjusts to new and increased amounts of fitness activities, your muscles will temporarily store water. That's okay! It will settle down soon.

Great example! Thank you so much.
  • wingsandgills
    wingsandgills Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Give yourself some time and start taking body measurements instead of just weighing. Exercise does a lot more for you than just lowering your weight--it's going to increase your energy, your body's efficiency, your heart health, your muscle strength... You are doing a really good thing for yourself when you exercise. Take care of your body and the weight loss WILL follow! So keep up the great work and give it some more time!
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    So I started this process about 2 weeks ago. In week one, I lost 6.8lbs or so... with maintaining my 1630 Calorie Intake, jogging, running, and using my stationary bike. Since week two I have incorporated the Insanity Workout and continued with 1630 calories a day, in which I've NEVER gone over. I weighed in this morning and haven't lost a single pound at all. I'm totally upset about it, too. This makes me want to throw in the towel on Insanity and go back to what I was doing before... for it seemed to work...

I really don't know what to do - some suggested upping my calorie intake, so I tweaked my profile, and now it's at 2,040. Is that even right? I mean, I don't know what the hell to do at this point, but not losing is frightening me, especially when I have SO much to lose.

What gives?

Don't give up!!!
    You are doing awesome.
    Don't expect too much. Just stick with what you got going.
    7 lbs in a week is A LOT!!!... you probably won't lose that every week.... .5-2 lbs is more likely....some weeks nothing at all. As long as you are staying true to you and your plan it'll all work out.
    Keep in mind as a woman... lots of fluctuations... damn hormones... water retention... not enough water too much sodium....
    Muscles hold onto water to repair themselves(this is most likely because of your workout)....
    Don't give up... though BELIEVE ME... I know how rough it is...
    Stick with it sister! ... You are doing great!!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    First... I recommend being patient. Weight loss is not a race. The healthy way to lose weight is slowly, so don't expect it to all fall off immediately (you didn't gain it all at once, overnight did you?). It is very common in the first weeks to see a huge loss as your body kind of goes into shock with what you're doing to it. It is also very common to see weight loss slow down significantly afterwards.

I think upping your calories was a good idea - give your body time to adjust to that. I tell people to give yourself a month for your body to catch up and realize what is going on.

Keep eating well, keep watching your portion sizes and calories and keep working out.

Patience. :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I am usually cautious about the intake increase community unless you are going really low...... Yes, there is a relationship between intake and maintaining your metabolism... Simply because when you are eating, your body is digesting which in itself burns calories. That being said, it is more than the calories you eat but what is in those caloies.

It is also true that muscle weighs more than fat so you can lose inches while gaining weight... or maintaining. However, on the short term, it is less likely to make a major difference.

Here is what I think is likely going on.. Your first week, you lose water weight... After that, that begins to taper and you start losing fat more. Scales are fickle... Water weight varies. If you weigh daily, you will see those fluctuations. I would not worry too much unless this plateau lasts more than a couple of weeks. When I hit these plateaus, I usually try to do something sort of extreme... either a major exercise (sweating) session and or cut back more than usual to jump start. I would not do that long term of course since you want to lose fat and not muscle. Best wishes. Stay on track and you will get there

Another thing, MFP is set to go to either a 1 lb per week or 2 lb per week weight loss. That being said, the heavier you are, the more calories you burn. .That being said, the more you lose, the fewer calories you will be allowed to achieve the same results since your weight maintenance metabolism decreases (since you are less heavy).. the good news in this is that you can burn far more calories because you are ABLE TO MOVE and do more strenuous things...

Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. It is less dense than fat - which means it takes up less room. But, 1lb of muscle and 1lb of fat are both still 1lb.