When do you break the news to your kids? (Spoiler alert)

Options
Trail_Addict
Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
When do you break the news to your kids that there is no Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, or Easter Bunny? (And don't even get me started about Christopher Columbus, and the true story of Thanksgiving (US) and the Pilgrims)

I've got a toddler, and these things cross my mind.

Replies

• tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    When they start asking questions, soul crusher. Geez!
  • Oliver_Cat_13
    Oliver_Cat_13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My mom told me when I was 10, I think.
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    I think growing up and going to school, their friends will probably tell them and they can figure it out on their own. My parents never had 'the talk' with me about fictional holiday characters not being real.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I never taught my son to believe in those things, so I never had to "break the news" to him - I told him they were all fun things that were done for different holidays/events, but that they weren't real and not to ruin it for any other kids.

It probably helped that he was terrified of mascots or anything in costume when he was little - he liked knowing they weren't real.
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    WHAT???????!!!!!!!WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE IS NO SANTA CLAUSE???!!!!! NO EASTER BUNNY????!!!!!! NO TOOTH FAIRY?????!!!!! You must have had a moment of temporary insanity.......I forgive you LOL
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I don't. They usually figure it out on their own. My 11 year old hasn't told me yet that she knows better, so we just keep pretending. Its fun :)
  • Minnie92x
    Minnie92x Posts: 107
    Options
    My brother told me at about 6 :frown:
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    you could be like my sister and just crush their imagination from day 1. She never let them believe in santa clause or tooth fairy or easter bunny or anything else like that.....and she wonders why they have no imagination.

Seriously don't worry about it, kids figure it out on their own in due time. Just let them be kids.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Why tell them?
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    My mum just let us find out on our own - why upset them when there's no need to. They'll hear it around school etc anyway so you won't need to :)
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    you could be like my sister and just crush their imagination from day 1. She never let them believe in santa clause or tooth fairy or easter bunny or anything else like that.....and she wonders why they have no imagination.

Seriously don't worry about it, kids figure it out on their own in due time. Just let them be kids.

agreed.
  • jankleberry
    jankleberry Posts: 508
    Options
    I remember my mum telling me. I had already figured out Santa and had my suspicions on the tooth fairy.

The easter bunny on the other hand... That was devastating news!

I loved it. A bunny that brought chocolate!!! Probably why I'm here now...
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    My kids figured it out when they were able to read - they recognized my handwriting and their dad's handwriting on presents.

I tried to make it look different, but I'm just not very creative I guess.

They were probably around 5 and said to us "We know you guys are Santa, the Easter Bunny, but we've decided to pretend we don't know yet".

They're 13 and 16 and still "pretend". LOL
  • Super_mom
    Super_mom Posts: 185
    Options
    I told my kids at age 3
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    I figured out Santa Clause for myself. Playing with my sister one day and uncovered a pile of toys in the spare bedroom closet. Wouldn't you know it was the same pile of toys I got Christmas morning. I never have really used any of those with my kids but always made sure they respected other peoples wished to do so and not spoil it for other kids.

Back to your original question, I really don't know. You don't want the other kids at school laughing at them for believing in my opinion. Happened to me about 2nd or 3rd grade (same year I found the toys). So if I had to guess it might be best to get it out of the way by the time school starts.
  • polrbear
    polrbear Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I never did. My kids, who are now 16 and 19, know that Santa Claus lives in all of us and it is the spirit of giving that makes Christmas special...not what you receive. So, we do not speak such words in our house. My parents never did either and now that I am an adult, I appreciate their silence on the matter. Trust me. Kids will tell them. Because obviously it was in their parents best interest to take the magic out of the holiday.
  • stuey39
    stuey39 Posts: 159
    Options
    My daughter started high school in September and still believed in all 3....11 years old and still believed?..Yes it's sweet but not good!
    I'm no longer with my kids mother but she decided I had to be the 'breaker of bad news'....

Strangely though it was me tha ended up in tears while my daughter just said "oh..ok"
  • hennyben
    hennyben Posts: 317
    Options
    My 8 year old informed me that there was no Easter Bunny or Santa just the other day. (saves me a job lol)
    My husband works with a guy who never had the conversation with his kids. They range in age from 21 to 7 and they all still get a Christmas stocking from Santa!
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Kids will usually figure it out on their own once they get into elementary school
  • demeter_42
    Options
    I'm religious on one side and agnostic on the other side, and I'm pretty sure it was never a matter of me "not knowing," but rather me "accepting." I still wish Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy were real sometimes, but in the same way that I wish I could be an astronaut, you know?

I find that kids who are raised with very strong beliefs of any kind are the ones who have the least trouble with this. It's the ambiguity - let's all pretend Santa is real, and that's all Christmas is about, etc. - that leads you down the path to "crap my kid is six years old and really truly thinks the Easter Bunny is real."