Running With Items?!

Options
Runners! Do you bring anything with you on 8+ mile runs?? (i.e. M&M's, water, etc.) Or, how about anything in general?? When you run, what do you have on you (aside from music devices, phones, HR monitors, etc.) ?? What are some good tips for beginning runners?? Please, post any advice, experience, etc. !!

Replies

• Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've ever taken with me is water but I've never gotten over 12 miles so I have really needed anything else. My advice is to be patient and train properly. Do not run more than you are able to, be kind to your joints.
  • catherine_rose
    Options
    I usually go on 3-4 mile runs (although I did do a 8mile the other day) and I take my house key, phone and ipod in this bag http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9323104/Trail/searchtext>ADIDAS.htm that's all I need for my running
    I don't take water, I feel like it throws my stride off. I just ensure I'm well hydrated beforehand and I'm fine
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I tuck my drivers license, cell phone, and a small towel in my camelbak before I run.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know this too - bump
  • smithlander
    smithlander Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    On long runs I run with a fuel belt. http://www.fuelbelt.com/ The belt has elastic straps that hold water bottles and you can attach a small pocket to carry other small items. So on long runs I usually bring fluids, Gu, chapstick, and Aleve.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I usually go on 3-4 mile runs (although I did do a 8mile the other day) and I take my house key, phone and ipod in this bag http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9323104/Trail/searchtext>ADIDAS.htm that's all I need for my running
    I don't take water, I feel like it throws my stride off. I just ensure I'm well hydrated beforehand and I'm fine

Nice! I think I'll buy this!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    8 miles? just water, and maybe my cell phone (from the house).

Over 10 miles, I may bring a gel along with those other items. If I'm heading from the truck, I take the ignition key.

Anything near 2+ hours, I'll bring wet wipes, more gels, a bandana, and my cell phone (Camelbak).
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I walk 7 miles, I carry my cell phone, car keys, mp3 and hrm. :happy:
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    @AndeeBox. Some times I take fluid in a belt. I know someone recommended a certain brand. I would test out other brands too because it all depends on how it fit you. Nathan and Amphipod makes them as well.

What you should bring when you are running is a) ID. Personally I have a bracelet from www.roadID.com b) your cellphone. c) you should consider a pepper spray (I believe any woman should bring it for self defense), and keys to house/car.

Once I get into the longer distance 13+ miles I will bring a back pack with water.

Just so you know what my experience is - I am a 25+ half marathons, 6 full marathons, and one ultra.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    On 8 mile runs, car key tied to shoelace, ipod, road id bracelet, and honey sticker energy chews in shorts pocket.
  • jenmarie2012
    jenmarie2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    may i ask why it is important to bring your id on a run?? just curious b/c i don't bring mine :tongue:
    and if i should start bringing it..thanks!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I take water on runs over 5 miles, unless it's freezing (I hate carrying a water bottle when it's below freezing, it makes me feel colder). I have on occasion taken sports beans on long runs (over 8 miles) but I don't like them and they increase my need for water, so I tend to just try to eat before I run.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I've never taken a phone on a run! Far too heavy!
  • cprice05
    cprice05 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    may i ask why it is important to bring your id on a run?? just curious b/c i don't bring mine :tongue:

I always carry an ID in case I get hit by a car or have another unpredicted ailment happen while I'm out. i also carry my insurance card (just in case).

I have a water belt that I take on 8+ miles. Sometimes I don't need it but it is heaven on those runs when I feel like I can drink the river :smile: I usually have some sort of gel but I don't normally use it. Again, it is based off how I feel during the run.

I take my phone but only because it has my music and GPS (endomondo or mapmyrun) on it...and it's usually strapped to my arm.
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options

I'm alone most of the time, so I always have my ID just in case. Cars, bikes, sometimes things happen and you're not conscious to tell someone who you are. It's also important for anyone with medical conditions or allergies.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I keep my phone in my arm band..and I also keep my car key and house keys in my armband as well...Thats all I carry when I go running.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I wear a lightweight bodywarmer, and take my keys (so I can get back in the house lol), my mobile in case of emergency, and my mp3 player for my podcast (in the midst of c25k!). And doggy poo bags, cos I usually take my jrt running with me :bigsmile:
  • popsical101
    Options
    I take water and my fone but I only usually do 3 to 4 miles at the mo most ive evr done is 9 x xx
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I only take water if it is hot.

I put my keys under a plant pot so don't carry them with me.

I take my phone in an arm band for mapmyrun, and headphones, sticking the ipod in my bra (because I don't have any pockets). Some day I will work out how to put music on my phone so as to cut out the ipod.

Good idea on the id - never thought of that before. On that note, I will also start bringing my blood donation card which lists my blood type. Better safe than sorry.