People who run with their dogs? (tiny bit icky)

Options
meerkat70
meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
I want to take one of my dogs out running with me. But I have a concern. What on earth do you do with the poop if you have to scoop? I don't fancy running along, dangling a plastic bag with me. And I'm just not the kind of person who could leave it lying there. There are very few poo bins (or any other kind of bins) in the area where I live.

Replies

• cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Either let the dog poop before the run or after. Before you can maybe run back inside and drop it off in the garbage, same for after, you wont be running with the bag till the next bin.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    No way would my dog be that cooperative, I'm afraid... :-)
  • solskinnzombie
    solskinnzombie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    No way would my dog be that cooperative, I'm afraid... :-)

haha, my dog is the same. he fancies inconveniently pooping much more.
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    I'm afraid you'll just have to go running with the poo bag.

Edit - I have two dogs that will go just about anywhere and one that insists on going in our front yard before we leave. I am always telling her how much I appreciate this lol. :)
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing. I let my dog run in the park for a while hoping that he can get his business done before heading for a run. That doesn't always work though. If there's no bin I would leave the bag somewhere out of the way and collect it on the way back. The old 'stick and flick' is another option if you can be sure you can flick it somewhere where no one will be walking. That's all I can think of, I'm afraid.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Does anyone use bags (hip bags and stuff) to cart it in? I'm not sure I entirely fancy that either, being a bit squeamish... but if there's a good one, I can try that.
  • cannie55
    cannie55 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just carry the bag with me, use to gross me out, but it's really not too bad. I just hold it in the same hand that has the leash
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    A. run on trash day when all the bins are out ;)
    B. run on trail with trash containers
    C. get revenge on a pesky neighbor!
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Don't have a dog (unfortunately! :sad: ) but I've seen people tie the bag to the leash, around the middle, while they run/walk their dog.
  • CollisionofNova
    Options
    Don't have a dog (unfortunately! :sad: ) but I've seen people tie the bag to the leash, around the middle, while they run/walk their dog.

I was going to suggest this. I've seen people slip it over the leash and tie it half way down. Otherwise, I'd hide it somewhere and pick it up on the way back.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I run around farmer fields in the country side so no need to pick up. Plus.. my dog backs into bushes to do it so would be difficult to pick it up haha
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    Tie the bag to the leash until you see a poop bin. That is definately the one draw back to running with a dog.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have no suggestions (although tying it to the leash sounds like a plan) but just want to commend you on even asking this. Where I live so many people just leave their dog's poop in the street and it drives me mad.

Yay for considerate dog owners :drinker:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'd just hold onto it until you find a bin.

I know what you mean about uncooperative dogs! I get mine to purposefully do one before we leave the house, yet he always does another <100m from the house in the middle of the damn street! (same spot every time) it's frustrating!!
  • RichardB53
    RichardB53 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This may not be an option for you, but I often walk my dog on a local beach, and I am very conscious of the fact that kids are playing nearby, or will be later that day. I take a child's plastic spade (about a foot long and very light) and just bury the produce about 9" down. No-one would know it was there, and 2-3 tides later, it isn't. If your run takes you across earth or grassland, perhaps you could do the same (using a garden trowel, perhaps). It's not very light, but might be easier to carry (for your nose and general well-being) than a bag of poo.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    My dog doesn't usually poop while we're running, but I carry a bag with me anyway, and would just cart the poop with me till I found a bin, if he did.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky that my girl likes to "offload" at the beginning of an outing, and usually right under the bin bless her. But if she goes somewhere en route, I just pick it up, tie it up, and yes, if necessary I will put it in a pocket until I come across a bin! :embarassed: I personally prefer that to holding a swinging bag as I run (mmm wafty!) - and having it swinging half way down the lead would worry me that it would split unfortunately leaving us both in a horrendous mess!

I should mention that my running buddy is a jack russell - not sure I'd be so quick to put a full bag from a larger dog in my pocket lol!

note: if you do this, 1) have an allocated pocket that you won't get muddled up with, and 2) for the love of sanity, remember to empty your pockets at the first opportunity! :bigsmile:
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Mine are both jack russells too.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I prefer running with a four legged partner rather then the two legged type. I have employed multiple techniques to cart the trail droppings and I commend you for thinking about this. Nothing drives me more batty then those that think if toss it off the path no one will see it or hey it natural so why should I have to pick it up.

You can tie it to the leash; you will find with this that the bag will swing back and forth and if you are squeamish this might distract you. You can attach a smaller bag to the leash and place the scat in there until you come upon the proper repository.
    Naturally if my Lab has his pack on he will can his own deposits after I clean them up.
    A friend had tin can that he would line with a baggie and scoop the waste into the can tie the bag and screw the lid on it, then place it in his pocket {depends on your dogs size} he had a small terrier, not effective with a Labrador or Great Dane.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    i like the can idea. i think i'll try that! :-)