Anyone tried "eating for your goal weight"?

Options
jworb
jworb Posts: 146 Member
I heard this is the way to go and I was just wondering if anyone has had success with this - my lose 1lb/wk MFP calorie goal is 1460, but my goal weight maintenance amount for sedentary activity level is 1778. I don't even usually net that much on my spike days, so that seems like too much to actually lose weight.

Anyone tried this?

Edit: sorry if this is a duplicate, I think I've seen it before on the boards but couldn't find anything through the search function.

Replies

• CrazyLazyStylist
    CrazyLazyStylist Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was just going to start this way!
  • wolftrax
    wolftrax Posts: 50
    Options
    Eating for goal weight has been around for a long time...the usual formula was 10 cals / # for goal BW...it works and you will eventually reach goal.. 1500 cals for 150 #..
  • jworb
    Options
    wolftrax I hadn't heard that way of calculating before - I used http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ to calculate, and it used my current age, weight and body fat percentage to estimate the amount of calories I should be able to eat at my goal weight to maintain.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Eating for goal weight has been around for a long time...the usual formula was 10 cals / # for goal BW...it works and you will eventually reach goal.. 1500 cals for 150 #..
    If I'm understanding the formula right, does this apply to reaching a weight using a caloric intake possibly lower than say the typical 1400? Like I'm shooting for 130, but maybe 125, so would that mean that I should consume 1300 calories daily?
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If I'm understanding the formula right, does this apply to reaching a weight using a caloric intake possibly lower than say the typical 1400? Like I'm shooting for 130, but maybe 125, so would that mean that I should consume 1300 calories daily?

I was gonna ask the same. i'm shooting for 120, so that means I'd only get 1200? That simply can't be right
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options

That would put me at 930 calories (for 93 lbs -- I am 4'9").

Not saying this calculation is wrong, but I can't imagine eating that little even when I weigh that little.
  • moodymarble
    moodymarble Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I just started upping my calories today.... for 145lbs mine is set to 1891 as per http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    wolftrax I hadn't heard that way of calculating before - I used http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ to calculate, and it used my current age, weight and body fat percentage to estimate the amount of calories I should be able to eat at my goal weight to maintain.

I just set my calories to my goal weight. Not using this formula, I did it my using the BMR tool on here. I found my BMR for my goal weight and multiplied it by 1.2 for sedentary/desk job. I just changed it two days ago so I don't have anything to report yet. If you would like to friend me and we can see how it works out together!
  • bigredhearts
    Options

i wouldnt go by this formula, if i wanted to be 150, and only ate 1500 cals, not only would i be under my bmr now, which i refuse to do, but i would also be under my bmr for that weight... which would be no good for the long term IMO
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 1500-1700 cals per day and lose about 1kg/2.2lb per week. js.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    that's what i'm doing, sorta, but since the maintenance for my goal weight is much lower than my current BMR, i'm eating at a weight that half of my ultimate goal. this way i dont have to worry about changing my calories as i lose weight until i reach my goal

and yeah that 10 cal formula doesnt work for me either. that's way too few calories. i used the counter here : http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

since this number is much different than the one MFP set up for me, I manually entered the calories i eat and i dont eat my exercise calories back
  • jworb
    Options
    that's what i'm doing, sorta, but since the maintenance for my goal weight is much lower than my current BMR, i'm eating at a weight that half of my ultimate goal. this way i dont have to worry about changing my calories as i lose weight until i reach my goal

and yeah that 10 cal formula doesnt work for me either. that's way too few calories. i used the counter here : http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

since this number is much different than the one MFP set up for me, I manually entered the calories i eat and i dont eat my exercise calories back

Meshashesha, how long have you been doing it? Any luck so far?
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    To calculate this, just go in to the "Update diet/fitness profile" section under settings in MFP and update your Current Weight and Goal Weight to be what your goal weight is. Then set your goal to "Maintain My Current Weight". MFP will then calculate your maintenance calories for you. No 10 cals per pound calculation, MFP does it all for you.

I should note that I do not do this, but have wondered about it also.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Meshashesha, how long have you been doing it? Any luck so far?

so far i've lost 20 pounds and about 2 sizes since i've been doing it. i officially started with a calorie deficit in mid-late january, so it's been about a 1-2 pound loss per week. i'm eating at sedentary maintenance for a mid way weight. so far so good once i get to 40 pounds I'll go ahead and eat at my final goal
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Eating 10 calories a pound works for very few people. Two people who are the same weight but different height, age and/or gender will need different calories. If you eat the same calories at age 50 that you ate at age 25, you will gain weight.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm eating my goal weight maintenance calories and it's working miraculously well.
    This week, I've been a bit under because of poor planning but I intend to eat approx. 2100 calories until I hit goal.
    And for the rest of my life. :happy:
    Losing weight has never been easier and this method is proving to be my miracle cure.
    I'm so happy I've given it a shot.
    I will NEVER go back to eating anything less than goal weight maintenance calories.

I am 51, btw.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
  • jworb
    Options

Thanks ladyraven!! I knew I had heard folks talking about it somewhere but couldn't find it when I searched
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    bumping to get this idea goin again...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

*snarf*

So at 130 pounds, I would eat 1300 calories? Damn... I'm eating closer to 2300. :drinker: