Too Much Protein???

Options
2»

Replies

• jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    A gram per pound sounds awfully arbitrary. A gram is metric and pound is imperial.
  • MissVickie220
    Options
    protein gives u energy and great 4 bones stamina GREAT 4 the blood
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    When I eat too much protein, I have severe kidney pain. Went through all kinds of tests and my doctor told me to lower my protein intake as it was too high and putting too much strain on my kidneys - hence the pain. I have a family history of kidney stones and was told to be careful as too much protein has been linked to kidney stones.

I don't care what anyone else says - I'm going to listen to my doctor and listen to my body. When I go over around 120g of protein for too many days, I have kidney pain. When I stay below that amount, I don't. Logic (and tests and doctor's advice) tells me to be careful with too much protein - my body simply can't handle it. I suspect the ideal amount and what is too much protein varies from person to person. The recommendations I've seen are 1g/per lb of LEAN BODY MASS - and this actually works for me as my LBM is around 110lbs - which makes the 1g per lb of LBM perfect for me. My boyfriend can easily consume 2 times the protein I have and is just fine.

You consume 1g/lb of LBM? That's considered a very high protein diet. You have to realize that a high protein diet in medical terms is 1.4g/kg, which is only 0.7g/kg higher than the RDA. 1g/lb of LBM is much higher than what is medically considered "high." So, really, you are consuming a high protein diet any way you slice it.

As a side note, my contention wasn't that someone should eat their bodyweight or more. Rather that high protein has been shown to be vastly superior to the RDA amount of 0.8g/kg.

Also, please do not let your person experiences get in the way of what I'm trying to convey. This is quite common on MFP and it really dilutes what I'm trying to say. Whatever I say is in reference to healthy individuals, not someone who is diabetic or has a history of kidney issues.
    Most Americans eat entirely enough protein in their diets,, and the RDA actually recommends .36 grams per pound, or about 15% of your total allowance. When working out and losing weight, people do need a bit more, which is why 20% is recommended.

Read my post above. One meta-analysis found that a high protein, American diet isn't damaging to the kidneys. The RDA recommendation is too low for active individuals seeking body recomposition and lean muscle tissue gain. Furthermore, satiety, glucose homeostasis and a plethora of other factors are improved while consuming a higher protein diet while attempting to lose weight. This has been chronicled extensively.

You're coming across as very know it all, when in reality what you know is what may work for you or what you've read in a book.

If we all worked the same way, there'd be no need for different 'diets'. We (my doctor and I - whom I trust completely) have concluded that with my work and workout routine, 1g of protein per lb of LBM is perfect (as I said, this puts me around 110g of protein a day).

I will mention that I also consume around 250-300g of carbs, so I am in no way a low carb person.

What I do works for my body and that is really what matters to me. I know that for me too much protein = kidney pain for me. I've learned the boundaries and I stay within them in ensure I get adequate protein, but do not overwhelm my system.

And my personal experience is what matters to me - not what you are trying to convey. I care about what works for me not everyone else or what some study says should be right for everyone.
  • JSnover
    JSnover Posts: 51
    Options
    i've been eating 1g of protien per lb of body weight for a while now, im still alive and had zero issues with my body, im sure if you ate some rediculous number like 400g a day for weeks striaight you would have problems
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    There is never. never. never. and I do repeat, NEVER too much protein.

It's just the source that sometimes you might have a bit too much of.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

There can be a time when there's too much - I've experienced it. My doctor said I was consuming too much protein when I was trying to get over 200g a day of it.

You can have too much of just about anything - from water to sugar to protein. It is about what is a healthy balance for you and your body.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Based on the fact that I lift weights, my doctor wants me eating 1g/per LBM of protein and I do just fine with it, thank you. As I stated already, anything over a certain amount for too many days and I have issues.

What's with the tone? You're completely misreading what I'm saying. I never said what your doctor recommended was right or wrong nor did I say you would badly on it. I don't get this portion of your message at all. I never said anything that even warrants it.
    I appreciate you thinking you know what's right for everyone though.

Care to share where I even implied such a thing? What I said was referred to healthy individuals without a history of health problems, which automatically excludes you. At the same time, I never made one clear cut recommendation for everyone. I'm not particularly sure why you're being so snarky.
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options

if you can back this up with any amount of scientific evidence, I"ll concede my earlier point.

However, since the evidence is overwhelmingly against what you're saying, I don't think I"ll hold my breath.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Some I think Aeolian already posted and ::poof::

Protein and amino acids for athletes. J Sports Sci. 2004 Jan;22(1):65-79.
    www.uni.edu/dolgener/Advanced_Sport.../protein_intake.pdf
    Since there is evidence that protein intakes above the RDA may be beneficial to athletes, a risk–benefit analysis may be useful. An important consideration is the potential harm that may arise from elevated protein intakes. There is little research into the maximum tolerable protein intake in healthy individuals. It has been suggested that excessive protein intakes may increase calcium loss, thus affecting bone health. However, since a major portion of bone is protein, excessive protein does not appear to influence bone health. High protein intakes have been suggested to pose a risk for the kidneys but, in healthy individuals with no underlying kidney disease (presumably most elite athletes), there is no evidence for harm to kidneys with higher intakes. Certainly, it would be detrimental for an athlete to consume excess protein at the expense of other nutrients required to support the necessary level of training and competition. There is a suggestion that intakes greater than 40% of total energy intake might be the upper limit. Protein intakes greater than 40% may limit intake of fat and/or carbohydrates, thus compromising the benefits of these nutrients. However, given the high energy intakes of most elite athletes, protein intakes higher than 40% are unlikely in most. Even a small female restricting energy intake and consuming only 1500 kcal would need to consume 150 g of protein to reach 40%.

High-Protein Weight Loss Diets and Purported Adverse Effects: Where is the Evidence? Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2004, 1:45-51 doi:10.1186/1550-2783-1-1-45
    http://www.jissn.com/content/1/1/45#B4
    Indeed, the recent study Dawson-Hughes et al. did not confirm the perception that increased dietary protein results in urinary calcium loss.[36] According to Dawson-Hughes et al., "Theconstellation of findings that meat supplements containing 55 g/d protein, when exchanged for carbohydrate did not significantlyincrease urinary calcium excretion and were associated withhigher levels of serum IGF-I and lower levels of the bone resorption marker, N-telopeptide, together with a lack of significant correlationof urinary N-telopeptide with urinary calcium excretion in thehigh protein group (in contrast to the low protein) point tothe possibility that higher meat intake may potentially improvebone mass in many older men and women."

Finally, the cross-cultural and population studies that showed a positive association between animal-protein intake and hip fracture risk did not consider other lifestyle or dietary factors that may protect or increase the risk of fracture.[35] It is of some interest that the author of the most cited paper favoring the earlier hypothesis that high-protein intake promotes osteoporosis no longer believes that protein is harmful to bone.[34] In fact, he concluded that the balance of the evidence seems to indicate the opposite.
    Despite its role in nitrogen excretion, there are presently no data in the scientific literature demonstrating the healthy kidney will be damaged by the increased demands of protein consumed in quantities above the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA). Furthermore, real world examples support this contention since kidney problems are nonexistent in the bodybuilding community in which high-protein intake has been the norm for over half a century.[3] Recently, Walser published comprehensive review on protein intake and renal function, which states: "it is clear that protein restriction does not prevent decline in renal function with age, and, in fact, is the major cause of that decline. A better way to prevent the decline would be to increase protein intake. there is no reason to restrict protein intake in healthy individuals in order to protect the kidney."[4]

Dietary protein intake and renal function. Nutrition & Metabolism 2005, 2:25 doi:10.1186/1743-7075-2-25
    http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/25
    Conclusion

Although excessive protein intake remains a health concern in individuals with pre-existing renal disease, the literature lacks significant research demonstrating a link between protein intake and the initiation or progression of renal disease in healthy individuals. More importantly, evidence suggests that protein-induced changes in renal function are likely a normal adaptative mechanism well within the functional limits of a healthy kidney. Without question, long-term studies are needed to clarify the scant evidence currently available regarding this relationship. At present, there is not sufficient proof to warrant public health directives aimed at restricting dietary protein intake in healthy adults for the purpose of preserving renal function.[
  • tofindmyselfprettyagain
    Options
    Oh my GOD.

I swear people on these forums are insane.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Okay So... Im only allowed 47 protein... I mean... What IS protein? Is it bad for you if you have too much, like fats carbs or calories? I mean what does protein DO anyways???

Wow, look what you started.

My only question is how many calories a day you're going for. Even if only 1/5 of your daily calories is protein a sub 1000 calorie a day diet isn't really that healthy and safe for you and I'm assuming if your worried about to much protein your doing way higher than that.*

*Unless you're using some bizarre metric thing, then your mileage (I guess kilometerage) will vary.
  • rr430rd
    rr430rd Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Can't be bothered to read the previous diatribes, but will say the maximum protein you should be eating is 2g/kg. Your kidneys have a hard time breaking down anything beyond that.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Can't be bothered to read the previous diatribes, but will say the maximum protein you should be eating is 2g/kg. Your kidneys have a hard time breaking down anything beyond that.

^ All the more reason you should read the previous replies.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    0.8g of protein per lb of LBM is probably the absolute minimum anyone should eat. Bodybuilders and athletes need more for obvious reasons.

And too much protein is if you eat like 500g of protein in one meal. I wouldn't worry too much. You really have to force yourself to eat "too much" protein to have it do any kind of harm.
  • rr430rd
    rr430rd Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'd like a compilation of the best three meta-analysis...all sources must be within the last five years of course.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    You should try for 35-40% Anything over 45% is too high.

According to my nutrition course studies.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    provided that it is lean.

Please expand.
    0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight is the World Health Organization recommendation.

Such a low recommendation.
    Not really, protein supplement companies just have very good marketing departments. The only people who need very high levels of protein are elite athletes, the average person does not need any more than the WHO recommendation.

That's not what my doctor told me. And I've had great weight loss eating nearly 100 grams a day, sometimes more. 140+ pounds GONE!!