Protein/carbs intake for muscle gain and weight loss

Options
I have been told that when lifting and looking to maximise muscle gain and fat loss you need to be having a lot more protein and less carbs than what myfitnesspal recommends. I've been told to try 40/40/20 or 40/30/30, any thoughts?

I've been dieting for months and exercising regularly (I run most days and do a full upper body workout every 48 hours) . Despite seemingly rarely going over the recommended net calories on MFP, I just am not losing any weight at all and despite months of weights I'm not really developing muscle either.

I've been told the reason is insufficient protein and too much carbs, thoughts?

PS - Despite what my profile says I'm not female, I don't know how to change it.

PSS - My actual weight is irrelevant I just have a lot of fat I want to shift but can't.

Replies

• Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I've been trying the 40/30/30 and it's working for me to lose body fat. Not losing strength at the gym either.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    0.80-1g of protein per 1lb of lean body weight is a good estimate of protein needs.
    0.25g of fat per 1 lb of total body weight is a good estimate for fat.
    the remaining should be carbs.

i've mine set at 40%carb/30fat/30prot.

Oh.
    and dont forget fiber

~38g a day minimum
  • BaseToThePlace
    Options
    I'll try 40/30/30 - can I trust the app and not really have to worry about much else?

Will it calculate accurately how much protein I should be having?

Also, I can't see anywhere in the app where I can change these settings but I'll look just now.

What I really don't want to happen, is for me to suddenly gain weight somehow and look fatter
  • Lukazetta
    Options
    I'll try 40/30/30 - can I trust the app and not really have to worry about much else?

Will it calculate accurately how much protein I should be having?

Also, I can't see anywhere in the app where I can change these settings but I'll look just now.

What I really don't want to happen, is for me to suddenly gain weight somehow and look fatter

IMO, the website is much easier to deal with and you can change it in the goal settings: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals

If you have it set to 40/30/30 - you will be taking in 30% protein per calories set to take + calories you burn from exercise. However, to lose body fat % - most people eat at a caloric deficit based on their maintenance calories (TDEE). My TDEE is around 2700 calories a day so I eat 20% under that range per day and my protein intake is around 170g per day.
  • BaseToThePlace
    Options
    I think I will give 40/40/20 (p/c/f) a try. I will see how I get on. Today for this it is showing that I have gone quite a bit over my fat goal and I've only had about half the protein plus low on carbs a bit too
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    You need fat in your diet to be healthy. You want at least 50-60 grams a day...minimum.
  • Lukazetta
    Options
    I think I will give 40/40/20 (p/c/f) a try. I will see how I get on. Today for this it is showing that I have gone quite a bit over my fat goal and I've only had about half the protein plus low on carbs a bit too

Fat isn't always a bad thing, in general saturated fats are bad fats that you should avoid because cholesterol problems and other heart disease. Unsaturated fats are good for you but there are many types of both.
  • adriany9
    adriany9 Posts: 32
    Options
    Have a wee look at this site and set your goals for body recomp. Hope this helps

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

Not sure how to do links yet but its the IF calculator
  • sphinxdust
    sphinxdust Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This brings up a good point of a lot of confusion for people who want to lose fat. I've been attacking my fat over the last 6 years, starting out at around 40% body fat. Even now that I have very little desire to lose more fat, I find that if my proteins aren't 40% and my carbs between 20% and 30%, I start getting fat again little by little. What this means is that my fats are usually 40% or more!

Healthy fats are very important in losing bad fat! If you eat fish like salmon, that will make you lean even though it is high in fat. You should strive to have all of your carbs come from vegetables and some fruit, completely deleting grains from your diet as much as possible (although for the first two years or so I still ate some sprouted grains and wild rice blends in moderation). Most people who take in the proper amounts of net calories and exercise with cardio will not lose weight if their carbs are too high.

40/30/30 is a good place to start, and I like to go for 40/20/40.
  • Lukazetta
    Options
    Have a wee look at this site and set your goals for body recomp. Hope this helps

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

Not sure how to do links yet but its the IF calculator

Good site - wish I knew about this before.
  • silkandsugar
    Options
    I've gained a legit amount of muscle recently and I never restricted my carb intake but I did start drinking protein shakes. I consume around twice my weight in kg so 45x2=90 grams of protein daily. So I've averaged between 80-100 more or less.
  • BaseToThePlace
    Options
    You need fat in your diet to be healthy. You want at least 50-60 grams a day...minimum.
    It's telling me with the ratios I've put in to have 43g fat per day. 40/40/20 is something I was recommended on another forum.

I should add that losing fat is more important to me just now than putting on muscle, far more important. Conversely, I understand that putting on muscle increases your metabolism and helps lose fat.

I want this APP to help me lose fat first and foremost, so far it's failing.
  • BaseToThePlace
    Options
    This brings up a good point of a lot of confusion for people who want to lose fat. I've been attacking my fat over the last 6 years, starting out at around 40% body fat. Even now that I have very little desire to lose more fat, I find that if my proteins aren't 40% and my carbs between 20% and 30%, I start getting fat again little by little. What this means is that my fats are usually 40% or more!

Healthy fats are very important in losing bad fat! If you eat fish like salmon, that will make you lean even though it is high in fat. You should strive to have all of your carbs come from vegetables and some fruit, completely deleting grains from your diet as much as possible (although for the first two years or so I still ate some sprouted grains and wild rice blends in moderation). Most people who take in the proper amounts of net calories and exercise with cardio will not lose weight if their carbs are too high.

40/30/30 is a good place to start, and I like to go for 40/20/40.
    So 40/30/30 (P/C/F) is what you would recommend for someone ultimately looking to lose a lot of fat, who has been struggling massively and is near enough approaching the end of their tether!! ??

As I said above, I'm wanting to gain muscle, but losing fat and looking slimmer is very much the main thing.
  • Lukazetta
    Options
    It's telling me with the ratios I've put in to have 43g fat per day. 40/40/20 is something I was recommended on another forum.

I should add that losing fat is more important to me just now than putting on muscle, far more important. Conversely, I understand that putting on muscle increases your metabolism and helps lose fat.

The 40/30/30 rule or the 40/40/20 are pointless if you're not eating at the right caloric intake.

Figure out your maintenance (TDEE) and eat under 20-25% that and you'll lose fat for sure - the rules are there so you use them while also lifting weights so you DON'T lose muscle mass while you're shedding the fat.
  • BaseToThePlace
    Options

The 40/30/30 rule or the 40/40/20 are pointless if you're not eating at the right caloric intake.

Figure out your maintenance (TDEE) and eat under 20-25% that and you'll lose fat for sure - the rules are there so you use them while also lifting weights so you DON'T lose muscle mass while you're shedding the fat.
    Surely if I adhere to the app I should be having the correct calorific intake>?

Otherwise there's no point in it
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have been told that when lifting and looking to maximise muscle gain and fat loss you need to be having a lot more protein and less carbs than what myfitnesspal recommends. I've been told to try 40/40/20 or 40/30/30, any thoughts?

I've been dieting for months and exercising regularly (I run most days and do a full upper body workout every 48 hours) . Despite seemingly rarely going over the recommended net calories on MFP, I just am not losing any weight at all and despite months of weights I'm not really developing muscle either.

I've been told the reason is insufficient protein and too much carbs, thoughts?

PS - Despite what my profile says I'm not female, I don't know how to change it.

PSS - My actual weight is irrelevant I just have a lot of fat I want to shift but can't.
    I agree with not enough protein, you should be eating 1 gram for every lb. of body weight per day but over the past 13 months ( -83 lbs.) I ate a diet that was very high in carbs and very happy with the amount of muscle I gained.
  • BaseToThePlace
    Options
    I'm going with 40 protein/30 carbs/30 fat
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You should be eating/drinking 30-50 grams of protein within 30-45 minutes of finishing each work out not per day. The more protein you eat the more fat you will burn and the more muscle you will gain. Also I dont know how much you weigh but from 213 lbs down to 204 lbs I ate 60 grams of fat per day.
  • BaseToThePlace
    Options
    You should be eating/drinking 30-50 grams of protein within 30-45 minutes of finishing each work out not per day. The more protein you eat the more fat you will burn and the more muscle you will gain. Also I dont know how much you weigh but from 213 lbs down to 204 lbs I ate 60 grams of fat per day.
    It's percentages/ratios not quantities!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Surely if I adhere to the app I should be having the correct calorific intake>?

Otherwise there's no point in it

It is an excellent method of tracking calories and nutrients, but when it comes to working out calories, it is just a fancy calculator that deducts 500-1000 from your sedentary TDEE, whilst ignoring your BMR.

I've had more success after working out TDEE and deducting the 20% deficit from that, than I did eating at the 1200 set by MFP.