chinese takeaway HELP please

Options
ok so on tuesday im having a takeaway with my boyfriend to hopfully celebrate his passing of his motorbike test. (his choice of food )
now i want to have something that i can track thats not going to be to bad for me. i was thinking:- crispy chilli chicken with boiled rice???? how would i find the content for that ?
or maybe chicken chowmein?

i definatly WONT be having the same as him (chicken balls, chicken fried rice and suce)

i dont normally eat out as i dont like noty having control of knowing whats in it.
please dont sujest making my own as my boyfriend really wants to do this, and i have promised.

THANK YOU in advance xxx

Replies

• Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I see this whole thing on this site as a lifestyle change. That means eating as well as you can, whilst still having a life. If it's a very rare event, I honestly wouldn't worry about it, and would eat what I wanted for that one meal, and eat as well as I can the rest of the time.

You said on your profile you'll be running 8 miles the same day, which honestly will "earn" a lot of those cals, or at least the difference between that and a normal dinner.

When I have take out now I try and find the nearest database entry, and then have it with boiled rice (and weigh the rice, cos I'm anal like that :P).

Please dont stress it though :)
  • jaynemaria
    jaynemaria Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If i have a chinese i usually go for chicken chow mein,its in the data base
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    If i have a chinese i usually go for chicken chow mein,its in the data base

for how many grams is that?
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of the exact calories but as Kirsty said its a lifestyle change & you are running 8 miles also.
    Remember the last time you had chinese before you had made all these changes to your lifestyle, would you have just ordered whatever you wanted with all the extras??? would you have done any exercise at all that day???

Having the chinese is a treat for both of you and you should enjoy it. I usually get the Chicken and Mushroom dish with boiled rice.
    I think to have low fat you need to stay away from anything crispy or battered.

When you look at the amount of calories you have for dinner plus your exercise calories you should do ok especially with the amount of miles you plan on doing.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/315707-the-chinese-takeaway-diet/ - there are some interesting information on that site
  • jaynemaria
    jaynemaria Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calorie-chart-nutrition-facts

Chinese takeaway chicken chow mein 21oz
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have have Chinese takeaway *whispers*....sometimes once a week. But I fit it in my daily calories and up my exercise for that day so I 'earn' it. Actually I eat most things that I want to...as long as they fit in with my daily calories and I do some exercise to make it up. So far its working for me as I still lost 3lbs this week.
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Chinese has so much salt, MSG, oil, sugar and simple carbs.

I'd stick with tofu, chicken and veggies, skip the rice. If you're eating it for food, not for a splurge day.
  • hmgarcia83
    hmgarcia83 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i make my own at home rice with chicken or shrimp veggies and carefully measured sauce
  • cazwillis99
    cazwillis99 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    my chinese of choice is chicken and cashew nuts with plain boiled rice - I don't eat the full portion of rice, depending how many cals I have usually aobut half a portion. All cals are in the database.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Nutrition action published a very good article on the best and worst Chinese dishes which you can read here: http://www.cspinet.org/nah/chinese.html

Their main advice is to choose veggie-filled dishes, order steamed, stir-fried or braised foods, hold the sauces, and be careful of portion control. The good news is that there are lots of healthy and tasty choices. It's a special occasion for you, so go out and enjoy!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    If you are really serious, stay away from anything with breading on it... or that says "crispy" or "fried" in the name.... BUT I did this the other day and ordered chicken and broccoli. It was the most disgusting chicken I have ever tasted. And the texture was like a snail. Just aweful. Needless to say I didn't eat it.

I did however eat some white rice, a couple sweet and sour chicken pieces, some general tso chicken and 2 crab ragoons and was still under like 700 calories. It was a lot of food and I was full and the fat content wasn't really that bad...

So I say you're better off just eating what you want, just in smaller portions for the meat stuff and more rice!