HRM Choices

Options
I've decided to get a HRM. I'm looking on Amazon.com and there are a lot of choices. I keep seeing chest straps. Even if the watch comes with a chest strap, is it necessary to wear a chest strap? It doesn't sound very comfortable. Is it possible to just use the watch part to be accurate? How does that go? Also, any recommendations? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg but I don't want a crappy one. Some of these are fairly pricey.

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If it comes with a chest strap, then it needs the chest strap to work.

I see you are a female, so if you can wear a bra, then you can wear a chest strap.. it's not much difference.

You want a decent but cheap one? Polar FT4.. Runs about 60 dollars on amazon.
  • lilmisskrys24
    Options
    I just imagine it would have to be tight to not slide down, I guess. Bras have straps so it keeps it up by your shoulders, kwim? But, then again I've never tried it, so if they stay on without having to be tied super tight, then it would be fine. Thanks for the recommendation, too! I'm going to go check it out now.
  • dad106
    Options
    HRM straps(at least by polar) are made of fabric and they stretch. You wrap it around your chest and hook the one end into the other and you are good to go.

You don't even notice them after awhile and may even walk out of the gym with it still on(I know I've done that!)
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've had polar and suunto hrm's. I prefer the suunto for many reasons, including better chest strap design,accuracy and menu function. Sure they can be pricey but a good one is so worth it. I use mine every day.
  • lilmisskrys24
    Options
    I'm looking at the Polar FT4 now still. Thinking about getting it. Is there something that can track your calories burned all day long, and not just during workouts?
  • dad106
    Options
    I'm looking at the Polar FT4 now still. Thinking about getting it. Is there something that can track your calories burned all day long, and not just during workouts?

For that you need a Body Media Fit or a Fit Bit.

Both are a bit more than an HRM and Body Media Fit has a monthly fee.

Some people use both an HRM and a BMF/Fit BIt because the BMF/FIt Bit can be a bit off in readings when it comes to exercise.