Doing everything right and not losing an ounce!

Options
Anyone having this problem? I'm 46 years old, weigh 137 and seem to be stuck there like cement. I work out 6 days a week, combining strength training and cardio (mainly doing Brazil Butt Lift, which I LOVE), I'm a very healthy eater - balancing my carbs, protein and healthy fats, keep my calories right where they should be but I can't lose an ounce! My workouts are varied, so I'm not doing the same thing everyday. I eat no fast food, I do not drink soda or coffee, only water or green tea. I do not smoke. I've tried upping my calories to no avail. I've tried cycling my calories to no avail. I don't go hungry at all, I eat 6 times throughout the day...I"ve tried everything! I just want to lose about 8-10 pounds, but my body is not responding to anything. HELP!

Replies

• Art63
    Art63 Posts: 87
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing everything right. Good for you. But it also sounds pretty frustrating not to lose weigt when you're doing all the right things. Our bodies are odd sometimes, eh? It must be comfortable where it is. Wish I had some answer for you but I'm sure you know all the things about muscle weighing more, etc. Sounds like you're just going to have to eat just a little less.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great work! The weight loss will come in time.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. Turns out my hormones are out of whack. Go get checked out by a doctor.
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Maybe you don't need to eat 6X/day. This approach does not work for everybody; maybe it does not work for you.

Also, as women approach menopause it becomes more difficult to lose weight. Not for everyone - but for most of us!
  • vilmy51
    vilmy51 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey!! I was stuck in 119 for almost 6 months. Since I've started Turbo Fire 2 months ago I broke the plateau and lost 11 pounds!!! Do Turbo Fire or Turbo Jam, they are great to break a plateau and start losing weight again.
  • Morgan803
    Morgan803 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I too have been stuck for awhile now im about 148 down almost 85 pounds but recently i started to read this book called the drop ten diet its all about adding food to your plate that helps your body to burn fat and the times of day you should/ should not eat certain foods you sound very successful and knowledgable about weight loss so maybe you have tried this butt it has worked really well for me i have lost 2-3 pounds per week the last couple weeks:) give it a try.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You'll get more (and better) feedback if you make your diary public.

Edit: not that you haven't already received good feedback – we just can't tailor our responses to your exact situation unless we can see your food and exercise diary entries.
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Have your measurements or body fat % changed during this time?
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stuck at this weight? Are ou clothes fitting differently?
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Your post sounds like one I created a few weeks after I started. I wasn't losing any weight...but I WAS losing inches. Are you checking your measurements? Losing inches is a better indication of loss, in my opinion. The scale weighs everything and can vary from day to day from a number of different factors, none of them related to fat loss.
  • badapdos
    badapdos Posts: 132
    Options
    Are you just starting out? For my first few week I didn't lose any weight, I actually gained 2 pounds. Then, it dropped after a week. Give it some time :)
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I agree, if you open your diary, or see a nutritionist, maybe you can tweak your food. Or, try interval training for the cardio, or upping your weights on strength training (do you use free weights or machines?).
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Anyone having this problem? I'm 46 years old, weigh 137 and seem to be stuck there like cement. I work out 6 days a week, combining strength training and cardio (mainly doing Brazil Butt Lift, which I LOVE), I'm a very healthy eater - balancing my carbs, protein and healthy fats, keep my calories right where they should be but I can't lose an ounce! My workouts are varied, so I'm not doing the same thing everyday. I eat no fast food, I do not drink soda or coffee, only water or green tea. I do not smoke. I've tried upping my calories to no avail. I've tried cycling my calories to no avail. I don't go hungry at all, I eat 6 times throughout the day...I"ve tried everything! I just want to lose about 8-10 pounds, but my body is not responding to anything. HELP!

welcome to my world :-( last week I actually gained 6lbs..I can think of more fun ways of gaining 6lbs than working my *kitten* off running and circuit training and eating like a pauper :-(

but I guess we are here for a long time and not a good time, right?
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    How to Take Off Those Last 10 Pounds
    By Jillian Michaels

You know what I like to call those last 10 or 15 pounds that won't come off no matter what you do? Vanity pounds.

The term describes our desire to lose weight that, as far as our bodies are concerned, actually feels healthy. Today's society pressures us to want to look a certain way, so for aesthetic reasons we try to be thinner than our bodies want us to be. Personally, I have gained and lost the same 8 vanity pounds more times than I care to admit.

Losing your first 50 pounds might have been tough, but believe me, dropping those final few stubborn pounds is a whole different challenge. The body struggles to hold on to that last bit of fat for survival purposes.

Now, don't get me wrong — you can lose the weight if you want to, but it will require you to muster a tremendous amount of restraint and willpower. If you're really up for it, do the following for 30 days:

Cut your sodium to 1,000 mg a day.
    Drink at least 80 ounces of water daily.
    Cut out processed foods.
    Abstain from alcohol.
    Train at 85 percent of your MHR (maximum heart rate) for 1 hour 5 times a week.

You can do a lot in 30 days — in fact, I can pretty much guarantee you will lose at least 5 pounds. And you'll feel like a rock star!
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. Turns out my hormones are out of whack. Go get checked out by a doctor.

Came here to say this. I'm mildly hypothyroid, and it makes losing weight a real pain.

Also, agreed that you should check your measurements if you haven't already. Weight loss is a strange and mysterious science -- sometimes the scale doesn't reflect what's really going on.
  • pablodiablo12
    Options
    Keep at it!! but does anyone know what to do for exercises? to lose weight?
  • pmkocis
    pmkocis Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks, but I'm doing all of the things you have listed and have been for the past 4 months!
  • pmkocis
    pmkocis Posts: 6
    Options
    OK My food diary is public. I recently went back to work, so I don't get in there everyday, but it should give a better idea of how I'm eating. I probably drink more water than I record because I always forget that part in the food diary. For those of you who've asked, my measurements have changed a little. I've lost 8 inches overall in 3 months. I just keep gaining and losing the same 4 pounds.
  • Argent78
    Argent78 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

I'm EXACTLY in the same situation!!! exercising 3 weight lifting a week + cardio and spinning in other days. Eat VERY healthy, nothing processed, I cook everything... And haven't lost an ounce! Have to loose 10-15 pounds... and nothing yet :(
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    honestly, and there are tons of threads about this, you are not eating enough. If you're working out 6 times a week and only eating around 900 calories a day you are basically starving yourself and your body is saving up everything it can. Dig around on the forums and you'll find some great advice about what you should be eating .. below is a good one and the guy really seems to know his stuff.

good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map