I might be confused or drunk

Options

Replies

• DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with Christianity, or Catholicism. Yes, back in the Middle Ages, there were atrocities, but usually you find that with other faiths as well who border on the radical side of their practice (today's radical Muslims?). I say Happy EASTER. I don't get into the whole "Ressurection vs. Easter" debate. I respect atheism, Judaism, whatever. You practice your way, I'll believe in what I want to believe in. But please don't criticize other's belief systems. That's called being judgmental.

I dont think I criticized anyones belife system,more of just wonering why ive been getting screamed at all day (joys of retail) I never said there is anything wrong with christianity ect i dont care what anyone worships.
    I wonder why so much of christianity is wrapped up in paganism yet you can not dare suggest a happy anything other than something that happens to do with Christianity (in the way they want it said) or you aredeclaring a war on the religion somehow,which I was told i was more than once today.
    i just dont get it
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    You are awesome. Happy Zombie Jesus Day!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Some theories on the relationship of easter eggs etc to Christianity

http://www.ehow.com/about_5380882_christian-meaning-easter-egg-hunt.html
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    This has lead me to question if Jesus was the first instance of a reanimated corpse in literature/popular folklore.

I know "Zombie" is a Haitian term but there's got to be an instance of Zomming pre-year zero anno domini. Right?

Anyone know?
    No there are many instances of people being worshiped for being born from a virgin, resurrecting...etc.
    Krishna is the best example I can think of.
    http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-christ-like-figures-who-pre-date-jesus/
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    This has lead me to question if Jesus was the first instance of a reanimated corpse in literature/popular folklore.

I know "Zombie" is a Haitian term but there's got to be an instance of Zomming pre-year zero anno domini. Right?

Anyone know?
    Lazarus? Jairius' Daughter

In the Old Testament, what about Elijah. No wait, he rode off into the sun in a chariot without dying, but then showed up hundreds of years later with Moses at the transfiguration of Jesus.

Methuselah lived so long he could have been dead and reanimated! LOL
  • luvviebug
    luvviebug Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am loving this thread.
    Thankfully, the only person in my family who is religious enough to be offended by "Happy Zombie Jesus Day" is into zombies, so she laughs it off. I've managed to surround myself with people whom I don't constantly have to battle with.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I thought it was Easter Island Day!

548497_2010282232789_1715752171_972263_1353678439_n.jpg
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I can accept (and appreciate factual histories on the origins) pagan symbols coopted by early practicers of my faith. I see it as early PR. We do the same thing now when so many churches have rock bands instead of hymnals (sacrilige!! Not really).

What I can't abide is my Christian brothers and sisters straight making **** up about how these things really symbolize Christian concepts.

The ressurection is a big deal and God's Grace is a super important concept. Quit conflating it with other stuff. Celebrate spring, sure. Do it today, fine. But really Zombie Jesus is a better symbol for Easter than Peter Cottontail.
    ok wait why do are so may holidays that have to do with jesus all tangled up with the much older pagan religions?

It was a way for the Church to say, "nuh uh, it's mine!" over and over and over again until enough time had passed that everyone just believed what they said. They stole traditions, characters, and stories from many other belief systems, religions and faiths in order to diminish the importance of them and to keep the Church in a position of power and superiority. They did an amazing job, really. They tortured and killed whomever stood in their way and now they're basically allowed to do or say whatever they wish. I am mainly referring to the Catholic faith here, but the same applies to all sects of Christianity as a collective. They're "evil".

That is my point exactly,im just not as purtty with my words:laugh:
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Anyone know?

Hes not the first. Have you guys seen the documentary Religulous by Bill Maher? Not only is it hilarious, it sheds some light on this. (Coming from a Catholic, as I am).

Egyptologist Gerald Massey argued that the deity of Horus and Jesus shared identical mythological origins in his 1907 book Ancient Egypt, the light of the world.[43] These ideas are repeated in the movie by Bill Maher.[44] Christian Theologian W. Ward Gasque composed an e-mail to twenty Egyptologists, including Professor Emeritus of Egyptology at the University of Liverpool Kenneth Kitchen, and Professor of Egyptology at the University of Toronto Ron Leprohan. The e-mail detailed the comparisons alleged by Massey. The scholars were unanimous in dismissing any similarities suggested by Massey, and one Egyptologist criticized the comparison as "fringe nonsense."[45]
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    The original Easter bunny was probably associated with the Pagan equinox festival that predated Easter. The Saxons devoted the month of April to celebrating their goddess of spring and fertility, who was, not coincidentally, named Eastre. Eastre's sacred animal was the hare - not surprising since the rabbit is one of the most common symbols of fertility and rebirth.

The colored eggs carried by today's Easter bunnies have another, even more ancient origin. Eggs have long been associated with fertility and springtime festivals - for so long, in fact, that the precise roots of the association are unknown. Ancient Romans and Greeks utilized eggs in festivals celebrating resurrected gods. The egg also featured prominently in the Jewish rituals of Passover - and still today the roasted egg has prominence on the seder table as an essential symbol of springtime and rebirth.

lol answered my own question.....ok wait why do are so may holidays that have to do with jesus all tangled up with the much older pagan religions?

That's the Christian way of saying "Hey, man, we're going to hijack your holiday in the hopes that you'll believe in our sky monster, and then get p!ssed at you for not saying Happy Easter/Resurrection or Merry Christmas."
  • BeachyBecky
    BeachyBecky Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Awesomeness!
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    ok wait why do are so may holidays that have to do with jesus all tangled up with the much older pagan religions?

It was a way for the Church to say, "nuh uh, it's mine!" over and over and over again until enough time had passed that everyone just believed what they said. They stole traditions, characters, and stories from many other belief systems, religions and faiths in order to diminish the importance of them and to keep the Church in a position of power and superiority. They did an amazing job, really. They tortured and killed whomever stood in their way and now they're basically allowed to do or say whatever they wish. I am mainly referring to the Catholic faith here, but the same applies to all sects of Christianity as a collective. They're "evil".
    A little exaggeration there, but pretty much. It was Christianity's way of converting others. By adopting all these Pagan holidays as their own, they could more easily convince the pagans to convert. The problems started when the pagans just added the Christian God and rituals to their own group, after all, they had aplenty of gods already, what was one more? Christians didn't like that much, so that's when they started the killing and such.

Wrong-o. It was the Roman Emporer Constantine who needed to quell not only Christians, but Pagans as well. He decided to legalize Christianity and all other religions, but as a worshipper of Mithras, decided to blend that with Christianity. The idea of a sacrificed saviour is Mithraist, so is the symbolism of bulls, rams, sheep, the blood of a transformed saviour washing away sins and granting eternal life, the 7 sacraments, the banishing of an evil host from heaven, apocalyptic end of time when God/Ormuzd sends the wicked to hell and establishes peace. Roman Emperors, Mithraist then Christian, mixed the rituals and laws of both religions into one. Emperor Constantine established 25th of Dec, the birthdate of Mithras, to be the birthdate of Jesus too. The principal day of worship of the Jews, The Sabbath, was replaced by the Mithraistic Sun Day as the Christian holy day. The Catholic Church, based in Rome and founded on top of the most venerated Mithraist temple, wiped out all competing son-of-god religions within the Roman Empire, giving us modern literalist Christianity.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

Anyone know?

Hes not the first. Have you guys seen the documentary Religulous by Bill Maher? Not only is it hilarious, it sheds some light on this. (Coming from a Catholic, as I am).

Egyptologist Gerald Massey argued that the deity of Horus and Jesus shared identical mythological origins in his 1907 book Ancient Egypt, the light of the world.[43] These ideas are repeated in the movie by Bill Maher.[44] Christian Theologian W. Ward Gasque composed an e-mail to twenty Egyptologists, including Professor Emeritus of Egyptology at the University of Liverpool Kenneth Kitchen, and Professor of Egyptology at the University of Toronto Ron Leprohan. The e-mail detailed the comparisons alleged by Massey. The scholars were unanimous in dismissing any similarities suggested by Massey, and one Egyptologist criticized the comparison as "fringe nonsense."[45]

GAH! Thank you! I was thinking, "There has got to be SOMETHING in ancient Egyptian lore..." but had completely forgotten about what I've heard on Religulous/Zeitgeist about Horus and the recycled mythologies.

THANK YOU! Horus!

So, now, wait. You're saying there are NOT similarities?
  • Ireshgurl
    Ireshgurl Posts: 559
    Options
    I myself being an athiest and working retail, I feel your pain. However, for me, I was more annoyed when people would wish me "Happy Easter". My response, "yes, maybe for those who celebrate it". HInt, hint. Not every one does, so don't assume. I never say Happy Anything these days, don't know who I might offend and why should I if I myself do not believe?
  • cbh142
    cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I work in retail and I have said "happy easter" and "merry christmas" to hundreds of people and no one has ever yelled at me or complained, maybe I'm just lucky.

Bill O'Reily vs Jon Stewart was awesome last year!

Why do all these people who are non believers celebrate Easter and Christmas?
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Zombie Jesus Enthusiasts: I dedicate this song to YOU!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m44woEaiJM

:heart: :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I work in retail and I have said "happy easter" and "merry christmas" to hundreds of people and no one has ever yelled at me or complained, maybe I'm just lucky.

Because they have pagan and even more ancient origins? And because they're secular holidays.
  • cbh142
    cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Because they have pagan and even more ancient origins? And because they're secular holidays.

Is that really why? I'm not trying to battle you or anything, I really would like to know. Are you saying its celebrated by non believers due to tradition? That would make sense I guess.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options

I don't think you have to be religious to celebrate the secular side of those holidays.

For us Easter is all about the bunny and everything that comes with that like coloring eggs, candy, and egg hunts. Once the kids don't believe in the bunny any more, we probably won't celebrate it. Christmas for us is about celebrating our relationships with family and friends. We do things like Santa for the kids, send out cards, decorate the house, exchange small gifts, sing carols, and watch old school Rudolph and Frosty.

Someone asked me last Christmas why I like listening to religious carols and my response was "I like listening to carols about Rudolph and Santa too, but I don't believe in them either. "

Not trying to be snarky, this is just what we do.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I think i am just tired of being yelled at. I am an athiest,but I want everyone to have a Happy whatever holiday they are celebrating. I have never been yelled at by so many diffrent people for saying happy easter (christmas is a whole nother story) seriously im just saying happy holidays for everything from christmas to arbor day and people can get thier panties in a bunch all they want

Are you serious? Are you supposed to say Happy Resurrection Day? That's a new one, never heard that before.