What can you do if you can't exsersize?

Options
I am disabled and unable to exercise. I go swimming every now and then but it can make me have a flair up of my condition. I find it hard to lose weight. Its realy getting me down as i think thats why i find it hard to lose weight

Replies

• neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It's completely possible to not exercise and lose weight. It's all about calories in v calories out. Watch your food like a hawk and drink plenty of water.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    The time in my life when I lost the most weight I was doing no exercise at all - wasn't eating enough to have the left over energy!

If your movement is very limited you will have to cut your calories quite low I think. Are you able to walk at all?

I think your best bet would be to speak to a doctor or nutirtionist and work out a weight loss plan that will work for your circumstances.

Good luck
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    First...it is possible to lose weight without exercise. I volunteer with many disabled, older women, and I've watched many of them lose weight on weight watchers...several of them in wheelchairs and without access to assistance to help them do modified exercise. So I not only think it can by done in theory, I've *seen* it done. And these women are on fixed incomes and rely on both cheap and easy to fix meals...no fancy diet foods or shakes, just simple calorie counting (or WW points. Similar idea).

Second...I wonder if there are some things you can do. We think of exercise only in terms of "calorie burn," but its good for your health and can raise your overall metabolism even if the documented calorie burn is minimal. I'm taking a *restorative* yoga class (no standing poses. No forced stretches.) and the next day I swear I can feel that my muscles have *done* something. Other exercise that is focused on breathing and moving oxygen throughout the body may be an option, like tai chi. You might want to look into dvds that you can do at home if getting to classes isn't an option or is personally desired (if yoga...just make sure its specifically restorative or gentle...some yoga is really strenuous).

Good luck. I know you can do it.
  • bricktowngal
    Options
    You mentioned a "flair up" what kind of disability do you have, if you don't mind me asking? Maybe that will help us determine what kind of exercise, if any, you can do.
  • Vraicroyant
    Options
    Tai chi is a good option. Paul Lam has several DVDs that work well with seniors, people with severe arthritis or those who are disabled. Tai chi is based on slow and controlled movements, so nothing fast and jerky.
  • androde
    androde Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I also have a disability and have problems exercising, I just do what I can when I can, sometimes my mind wants to do more tho which can be quite frustrating. I have also tried a larger calorie deficit but apart from initial inch loss, have stalled.
  • gilesgirl
    Options
    Sorry not replyed been so ill. I have ME/Fibro and back problems. I try and swim but it takes a week to get over it. I cant lift so much with my arms becuse my left one wont work for a week. I lost a stone on slimming world but i got confused with it all. I am determind to keep going and i will look in to the dvds sounds a good idea x
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    The thing with ME and Fibromyalgia is that, long term, they improve with exercise. I have a friend with these conditions who manages it entirely with exercise and has managed to take herself entirely off medication.

I'd get some proper advice on how to manage the condition better. (ask for a referral to a physio, for instance.) She's had great success both with weightloss and pain management (despite also having hashimotos, which has effectively shut down her metabolism).

I know the temptation with this is to just stop doing stuff because it hurts. But long term, that makes the condition worse not better.
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    I've lost 40 pounds with very little exercise. Watch your calories and it will happen. It can be done. Good luck.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    is it possible for you to do shadow boxing?
  • mark2605
    mark2605 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Exercise, while very beneficial for mental and physical health, is not at all important for weight loss. That may sound controversial, but it it borne out by science. Cutting your calories below what you need to "run" your body and all its systems will be sufficient for weight loss.

Remember not to base your notions of weight loss on reality TV shows like The Biggest Loser, which ludicrously over-emphasise the exercise component, neglecting to tell us that oh, BY THE WAY, the contestants also happen to be on what is basically a starvation diet of about 1,000 calories (or less) a day.
  • DSCLBD
    DSCLBD Posts: 40
    Options
    Not sure if this would help but i have seen DVDs for seated Pilates for less mobile people. Also maybe see a physio as they should be able to hive you some exercises that suits your condition. Good luck
  • tumteetum
    tumteetum Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have ME and understand the muscle weakness thing and not being able to do cardio exercise. I've found that pilates is good and doable for me. Most people would consider what I do to be a warm up but I am still working muscles and it's all lying down. You can do more on a better day if you're able.

I've also found a couple of DVD's that work for me which you may be able to do if you can manage swimming. One is a totally seated workout and the other has some standing but you can use a chair to help you and the rest if sitting down.

I've encountered lots of folks on here that have either lost through diet alone or are disabled in some way or other and have managed to adapt exercise to suit them. I try to think in terms of moving, stretching, toning rather than "exercise" as that tends to make people think of intense and cardio based stuff which is not good for ME.
  • tumteetum
    Options
    The thing with ME and Fibromyalgia is that, long term, they improve with exercise. I have a friend with these conditions who manages it entirely with exercise and has managed to take herself entirely off medication.

I'd get some proper advice on how to manage the condition better. (ask for a referral to a physio, for instance.) She's had great success both with weightloss and pain management (despite also having hashimotos, which has effectively shut down her metabolism).

I know the temptation with this is to just stop doing stuff because it hurts. But long term, that makes the condition worse not better.

That's true for Fibromyalgia generally but not really true for ME. The wrong kind of exercise can lead to worsening of health in ME and in many cases where people have pushed themselves makes people severely disabled even bedridden.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I think you perhaps missed the 'speak to a physio' aspect of my post...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Remove potato, pasta, pizza, bread, biscuits, sweets, chocolate, breakfast cereal and sugar from your diet completely. See how it goes for a fortnight.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I have Fibromyalgia, too, and am unable to work & on disability. Having Fibro is - well, I really can't think of enough bad things to say about it.

Stretching is very good for Fibro. I have set of sstrecthes that I've been doing almost every day since joining mfp (about 8 weeks). And the results are amazing. the muscles that used to hurt some of the time hurt a lot less of the time, and the muscles that used to hurt all time still hurt most of the time, but hurt a lot less I do have to be careful not to overstretch, or I get that super-sore fibroflare zap that I'm sure you know well.

Walking is what I do for meaningful cardio. (The following is not what I *recommend,* but it is what I did.)

I started off by figuring that I could probably walk for 20 minutes (I like to think that I can do just about anything for 20 minutes :). I set my watch timer for 10 minutes and stated walking. When it beeped, I turned around and walked back. Then I was sore as hell for a week.

The next week I did it again. I told myself I'd turn around at 5 minutes. but that seemd *so* short; and I went for 10 minutes before I turned around. Afterwards, I was not quite as sore for not quite as long as the first time.

I've kept going for walk once or twice a week, and now 20 minutes is what I can do without getting sore and "paying for it" the next day. I stiil often get carried away and walk for too long, and get super-sore for the next day or two; but it's not as bad as it was when I started.

The right way, of course, is to start of with a very short time (my doctor suggested 3 minutes) and to *turn around when your timer tells you* (apparently, I am really some kind of idiot :). And then work your way up by adding a minute or so a time.

Yoga (the gentle, easy kind) seems to be the best for of exercise for peopele with fibro. The only reason I'm not doing yoga now is that I live in a very small apartment with a big clutter problem, and there literally is not enough clear floor space for me to unroll a yoag mat in here. Once I can organize the space, I will definitely be doing yoga.

Between exercise, exercise recovery, shopping for healthy food, cooking healthy food, and keeping the dishes used for all that healthy food washed; I am getting almost nothing else done these days - clearing the space to do yoga beig a case in point. OTOH, I wasn't getting much of anything else done before I started all this. At least now I'm getting almost nothing done, but with the fringe benefit of health food, slowly improving fitness, and some very satifactory weight loss. :)

Hope some of this helps.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    That's true for Fibromyalgia generally but not really true for ME.
    Help me out here? I'm guessing that ME is Myalgic Encephalitis, which I thought was the UK equivalent of Fibromyalgia - is that not right?
  • tumteetum
    Options
    ME is what some people call CFS or CFIDS although some people say even these are different things. It's complicated huh?

People used to say Fibromylagia and ME/CFS are the same thing but it's been shown in research that there are differences and they respond to diffferent treatments http://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/conditions-mistaken-for-fm/me-and-cfs.html

Absolutely a physio with good knowledge of these conditions is a big thumbs up but I know in the UK it's a matter of luck sometimes to find a physio who understands the trickiness of ME. With mild ME phsyio's can often get very good results though.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Sorry not replyed been so ill. I have ME/Fibro and back problems. I try and swim but it takes a week to get over it. I cant lift so much with my arms becuse my left one wont work for a week. I lost a stone on slimming world but i got confused with it all. I am determind to keep going and i will look in to the dvds sounds a good idea x

I think you need to consult your doctor and see if they can offer support.

Hopefully this will give you hope, I know someone with Fibromyalgia, a friends boyfriend, I know he has problems with pain in just sitting and there are certain things he can't do, he can't drive and has to work from home but he works out and is extremely muscular! I was diagnosed with cfs years ago, it catches up with me but I've smashed through a wall with that, the exercise now gives me energy it also helps as I'm eating more food to lose the weight. Although I still have dizzy spells most days, my co-ordination is terrible, I get headaches from working and my memory is terrible, I lose track of reps! For me it's worth doing so I would really recommend speaking to a professional and seeing what they suggest as everyone has different levels.

Hope this gives you hope.