the supermarkets are against us!!

Options
Just been shopping and could have purchased 10 doughnuts for £1, but 5 apples were £1.35. I went for the apples but still annoying.
The supermarkets are against us!!!
:angry:

Replies

• abrn93
    abrn93 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I agree! All the healthy food is more expensive-leaner cuts of meat, fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains...
    You would think that less additives and less processing would be cheaper. Oh well what can you do? At the end of the day you gotta do what is best for you.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Wow! 10 doughnuts for £1, that's a good deal!!

I agree though, I wish the healthier options would be as cheap as all the crap!
    If you want cheap fruit/veg, I'd try out local greengrocers. I was surprised to find that they were actually considerably cheaper than the supermarkets, and have way more range! Now, the only time I'll ever buy veg from Tesco is on a Sunday when the greengrocer's is shut.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I once saw donuts holes probably mis-labeled for 40 for $1. The package said it was 10 ct., so I assumed it was a mistake, lol. I bought 2 boxes! Eee! Why can't they ever mislabel chicken, $1.99 for 20 lbs.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    In the U.S., it is because the government subsidizes corn and grain, but not vegetables and fruits. Since most processed foods are made from corn and grain, they are cheaper. Additionally, it is about supply and demand. The cost of fruits and vegetables reduces the demand for them, so the fruits and vegetables go bad and the grocer loses money. Thus, that lose is past on to the consumer as higher prices. This does not happen with processed foods, so the prices can be kept low on them.

Sad, but true everywhere.
  • zachsmum77
    zachsmum77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Tesco near me were doing buy one get one free on bags of doughnuts, so 20 for £1.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Just been shopping and could have purchased 10 doughnuts for £1, but 5 apples were £1.35. I went for the apples but still annoying.
    The supermarkets are against us!!!
    :angry:

Just look for deals with other fruit. I found 6 kiwis for 75p in Sainsbury's the other day. Ended up buying 12. You know how it is.

On second thoughts, I could have saved £1000 if I'd bought 8000 kiwis. Damn. I missed out. :sad:
  • hoffo83
    hoffo83 Posts: 51
    Options
    thats why i went today. i usually use markets but none open today.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    In the U.S., it is because the government subsidizes corn and grain, but not vegetables and fruits. Since most processed foods are made from corn and grain, they are cheaper. Additionally, it is about supply and demand. The cost of fruits and vegetables reduces the demand for them, so the fruits and vegetables go bad and the grocer loses money. Thus, that lose is past on to the consumer as higher prices. This does not happen with processed foods, so the prices can be kept low on them.

When I found that out I was shocked, it just sounded ridiculous, like the government actually wanted people to be overweight. The corn syrup is a weird thing too, most places don't use it, and it really makes a difference to the taste of things so a lot of things in the states taste a lot different to what I was used to. When I was younger and lucky enough to go to Florida a lot I found cans of pop and chocolate way too sweet to eat.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    One way to think about it is they are cheap because they are cheaply made so buying the doughnuts would still be a rip off.
  • hoffo83
    Options
    ha ha. i usually do the same (look for offers) but it was very busy so i just got what i needed. i hate shopping t the best of times but today was crazy as they were closed yesterday.
    never mind markets back open tomorrow
  • MissSpuggz
    MissSpuggz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    This is what I think. Our governments are always complaining about obesity yet they make fast food and unhealthy food easily accessible and cheaper. Okay, so in UK we're brining in VAT on "HOT" food but that still leaves a lot of unhealthy options cheaper to buy.

Trying to get meat into your diet these days is ridiculous. I am to have some meat at least once a day be it fish/chicken/beef etc but the price of a chicken breast or a fish fillet is stupid! Even buying a joint is nearly £10 for the tiniest piece!

Fruit isn't too bad if you like the big fruit. Apples/Bananas and the like but blueberries/blackberries seem to be expensive even in peak season so this year I'm GROWING my own! So stuff you Sainsburys.

Buying organic is also an expense. I wouldn't mind if the money went to the workers who GREW the produce but when it all goes in the back pocket of the supermarket it makes me furious.

Okay, rant over :P
  • hoffo83
    Options
    Great points. I get organic boxes delivered to my house. The price isn’t to bad and I know the money is going to the farmer. I know what you mean about berries it’s crazy.
    Damn the UK government!
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Doughnuts are quick perishables as well, and if they buy a ton of them and people aren't eating loads of junk, they have too many.
    Like said above, cheapness of ingredients can let them afford to bake in HUGE quantities and then just sell off the remainder to cut their losses. It's all madness really. It's not a saving if you're not going to eat them - like selling off dairy and meat on the day they go off. Unless you're gonna feed a big family that day it's not worth your time to get a huge cut of meat that'll only last a day...
  • Lindaendall
    Lindaendall Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Go to LIDL or ALDI - fantastic prices.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    The corn is a cheap food thing is BS because 6 or less husks are 2 bucks
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    The corn is a cheap food thing is BS because 6 or less husks are 2 bucks

This is a regional thing, and maybe even depending on availability.

Corn when it first becomes available where I live (New Hampshire, USA), is usually expensive. Once the beginning of June hits, its CHEAP food. I wont purchase it to be honest.

Where I live, produce is reasonable during growing season - and optimal in purchasing from our local farmers. We have one chain grocery company that features NH farmers produce and the sales are rediculously low and quality is high.

There are times I can get better deals at my local asian grocery store better than the big name stores.

I also grow my own peppers, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers and herbs because we use those often....

Meats... I usually get the best deals at my local 'warehouse' with a membership thanks to the job I work at. Employees get a discount on memberships. This week Im due to pick up a 40# case of boneless skinless chicken breast at $1.68/lb! For $67.20, that will feed my husband and I for quite a while! Beef Eye Round I can get in a big cryovac package for about $2.49/lb and have it cut the way I need it at no additional charge..

Its a challenge but, the good prices are out there. Just have to be resourceful and call around...

I would gladly save up the money to go half/half on a whole pig. Im DYING to smoke fresh bacon here!!!!
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    My mum got 5 bags of apples and 5 bags of oranges for 9p each in morrisons, they were fine but the label said they were going out of date, and there were about 5 people standing waitning for the gut to put reduced sticker on fruit and veg, so it is all about savvy shopping.
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Bars and pubs too!
    A sandwich is 2 € and a small salad 6 €!:mad:
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options

^^ This. And I'm Canadian, and it's still the same. I saw 50 Easter cookies for $1 at Walmart two days ago. OMG. I then spent $17 on Extra Lean Ground beef for my casserole.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Actually they are not.

People say it's expensive to eat healthy but it's really not.

You can make a whole meal from rice, beans and veggies. Also, there was an article recently that showed the breakdown on how much healthy food you get for $10 or $20 and showed really that you can eat healthy for less.

Not that I'm suggesting you buy all of your organic fruit and veggies at Walmart but they are the largest seller of organic food in the US so they can keep their price points low.

Trust me, the stores are not against you.

It's just the food marketers.

Did you know that something with added fiber is just a food marketing scheme? (thank you Jillian Michaels). It's not the same fiber found in brocolli or any veg. It's really not even handled by the body the same way.

Fall for less food marketing scheme (skinny people do not eat diet food after all) and you'll be okay. Plus, you'll save $$ each week.