WARNING: scanning food with the Iphone

Options
13»

Replies

• Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Had something scan wrong, then rescanned it and it came up as the right thing. So you might just want to try again.
  • kayla7303
    kayla7303 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I scanned a 25 calorie jello that came up as a 580 calorie taco meal.
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Bar code scans, just like user entered foods in the database, are just that--user entered. This is why you will see discrepancies when you scan an item. There is the option to change it. I had to do that last weekend when I scanned my milk on my andriod and it came up as englsh muffins. I had to scroll down to see the option to match the scan with another entry already in the database.
  • bsenka
    bsenka Posts: 33
    Options
    Bar code scans, just like user entered foods in the database, are just that--user entered. This is why you will see discrepancies when you scan an item. There is the option to change it. I had to do that last weekend when I scanned my milk on my andriod and it came up as englsh muffins. I had to scroll down to see the option to match the scan with another entry already in the database.

How do I enter a barcode?
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I've not got an I phone - got an HTC but i can scan on it and ive noticed some things that come up wrong too
  • drmattski
    drmattski Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Most things come out right and it is faster. However, just as with the food entered into the MFP database, you have to double check everything to be sure. I find things that are right, but missing sodium or serving size wrong etc.. Once you verify and put in your food list, then you don't have to worry about it again. Most people eat the same things pretty regularly. Overall, I like the scanner for being fast. :smile:
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    I've come across a lot of errors scanning. I just scanned a pack of Co-op Gnocchi and it came up as something from Tesco (can't remember what). Calories are often WAY out too, compared with the packet. So, scan away, but check it every time!
  • fdlafon
    fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Also, you kind of have to question... if it's coming up as different stuff when you scan it, are the stores scanning it correctly, then? Did you pay for their pickles, or for the buns? Did you pay for the V8, or the Minute Maid drink?

Curious...

Good Question, check those receipts.

I think this would be an error on the side of whomever is entering this information for MFP, not the retailer or manufacturer.
    Someone has had to enter all this information at some point, and I suspect it is a data entry error. I noticed once that a gallon of milk that I scanned had 10 less calories than what the packaging said, so I just went in (later on the computer) and corrected it.

I do wish that we could see 'the community' from the iphone/ipad. I use both of mine alot, and don't carry a computer around in my pocket very often. :)