ok dumb water question

Options
ok I am just not a person who loves to drink water all the time although I am trying really hard. This weekend I bought the crystal light that you can mix with your water it adds 5 calories for each 8 oz glass. Is it bad that I add this? Can I still count it as drinking water? I am still adding the crystal light to the food part even though it is only 5 calories. Like I said it might be a dumb question but I was just wondering. Thanks guys

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Do what you have to do. Also try carbonated water/seltzer. No calories but the fizz feels like soda in your mouth.
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can count that as your daily water.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, you are still putting H20 into your system.

I like the 0 calorie packs. I have ice tea ones and lemonade.
    Also I count soda as water, and beer. really anything with H20 should be considered water.

9780394869964.jpg
  • TeresaWash
    TeresaWash Posts: 283
    Options
    YES, that counts as water
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You'll likely get yes and no answers, and maybe some about the dangers of artificial sweeteners. The truth is that numerous clinical studies have failed to show that arificial sweeteners cause health problems. For hydration most any non-alcoholic liquid will hydrate you as well as plain water. For weight loss, water comes into play to fill your tummy and flush out sodium. Again, most any low/no calorie, low sodium, non-alcoholic liquid will do that.

In other words, yes, count the crystal light. It's fine.
  • missyh1
    missyh1 Posts: 18
    Options
    A few years ago when I was doing weight watchers, they said that any non-caffeinated beverage could count as the water requirement. So pop can count as long as it's caffeine free.
  • wvtracyann
    wvtracyann Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks I never even thought about using the other things as water. I gave up soda and beer altogether for the month of April to try and lose as much as I can for my beach trip in May so I was just trying to figure out what I could drink that isnt' just plain water. I didnt' know they had zero calorie ones I will have to look for those next time!
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    A few years ago when I was doing weight watchers, they said that any non-caffeinated beverage could count as the water requirement. So pop can count as long as it's caffeine free.

Actually, you can count caffeinated beverages too.
  • BrownEyedGiRL928
    BrownEyedGiRL928 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It's the only way I can drink water... I count it as water and I just add the calories... just note that one packet isn't 5 calories... I think the packet says 5 calories for 1/2 serving and then one serving is one packet..... so one packet is really 10 calories.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options

Soda counts even if it's not caffeine free. The amounts of caffeine we've all come to believe "dehydrate you!" are way more excessive than the average person consumes in a day. I have a Diet Coke between 2 & 4 times a week. It counts.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options

Actually, you can count caffeinated beverages too.

^^ This.
  • jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options
    The only way I've managed to keep up with my water is to use Mio... most of the flavors don't have calories or anything else that shows up on my log, and one of those little bottles flavors a LOT of water!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Check the tea/coffee section of your store for the zero calorie ice tea mixes. Lipton makes some really good ones.

Everyone's has different opinions about this. I personally count coffee, tea and water as water because I don't put anything in them. Anything with sugar or sodium in it (soda, some flavored waters) doesn't count in my book.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Do what you have to do. Also try carbonated water/seltzer. No calories but the fizz feels like soda in your mouth.
    Nice idea...
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    It's the only way I can drink water... I count it as water and I just add the calories... just note that one packet isn't 5 calories... I think the packet says 5 calories for 1/2 serving and then one serving is one packet..... so one packet is really 10 calories.

I actually prefer the no-calorie generic ones.. Walmart has one that tastes like grape kool-aid to me (which I love) but is calorie-free. It is sweetened with either aspartame or saccharin (as I hate sucralose [Splenda] more than most things in life.).
  • eryka86
    eryka86 Posts: 80
    Options
    Have u tried flavored water, i believe Dasani makes them
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    Wal Mart makes really good carbonated flavored waters. My favorite one is pomegranate acai. I believe the bottles are 32oz and they only cost $0.68 each.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You can also try using less than an entire packet of the powder..I'm down to about 1/3 of a packet...which saves me $ too, since it goes farther.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I USED to equate soda with water - then some studies came out on CO2 and what it does to your body. Stuff like increasing your appetite (THAT is why resturants sell soda - it's a profit center that also makes people eat MORE), messing withour Seratonin/Insulin responses (yeah, makes the good chlorestoral into the bad Chlorestoral). We are designed to consider CO2 as a waste gas, and we put this stuff in our drinks.

So, when you drink water (MiO, Crystal Light, juice) you are ingesting water without the detrimental elements. B6 and B12 among other positive vitamins.

So, Drink UP!!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    People differ on this, but for me, "water" means "plain water." I doubt what you're adding makes much difference, but it's not plain water.

You could try adding a lemon or orange slice.

We've had very little history with these zero-calorie drinks and additives. I would exercise caution and not overdo them.