Days off from running

Options
How many days do you take off from running? Do you do any workouts on your day off?

Replies

• JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JoshuaL86
    Options
    Bump
  • abrn93
    abrn93 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Depends on the workout. I try to run 5 days a week, some weeks I make some I don't. Always take a break after a long run or when I get the crazy idea that trails runs in the TN mountains are a good idea-usually pay for that for 2 days-but boy it's a nice change and well worth it! Off days I do yoga and lifting.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I take a day off every two or three weeks. But this is an individual thing. When you need to take a day off depends on how hard you run and how fast you recover which is linked to how much mileage you run and how long you have been doing it.

Running high mileage over time conditions the body to recover faster from any individual run.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I only run 3-4 days a week and will try to include weights on those non running days and started doing a weekly spin class too.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I run 4 days a weeks and cross train on the others (at least one pretty low intensity as a recovery day)
  • JoshuaL86
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! These are great!
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I attempt to take only Monday off, but because I have a wife and 3 kids that have other schedules that do not revolve around my running (gee, wonder why :laugh: ), I sometimes take off Friday or over the weekend. I do find that by the end of the week, I am pretty fatigued, mostly because I run a standard 4 miles on most days, and on Tue/Thu I am also doing 45-50 minutes of weights and circuit training (burpees/situps/push-ups/pull-ups) and some basketball. My runs on Thu/Fri/Sat are less optimal, but I like the results of my overall training.

I combine my long an tempo runs into Wed and Sun, with Wed usually being my better run. Sunday is usually slow and tired.

Greg