Runner's Knee

Hey everyone!
I was just wondering if anyone has had or has runner's knee and how they relieved the pain and treated it. I do know that runner's knee can be from weak thigh muscles so I know to strengthen them but as of right now, I can't hardly walk on it, let alone exercise. I've tried icing and Aleve which have both helped...but only for a short period. How have YOU treated your runner's knee?
Thanks!

Replies

• JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    bump

injured my knee two weks ago on a long run an interested to see what people say here.

Massage works, and investing in a foam roller may help.

You can look at Physio as well and acupuncture.
  • ldmaking
    ldmaking Posts: 7 Member
    I have a love/hate relationship with the foam roller. It hurts like the ****ens but is the only thing that helps stretch the IT band. Invest in one (maybe $20) and use it every day. There's one at my gym but my this muscles so tight that if I use it there I run the risk of offending innocent ears.

You should also make sure you're doing some cross training to build up the other muscles. And, if possible, do some yoga. You can actually find yoga apps specifically created for runners. Finally, RICE. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation after a run.

Hope something in that helps!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Hey everyone!
    I was just wondering if anyone has had or has runner's knee and how they relieved the pain and treated it. I do know that runner's knee can be from weak thigh muscles so I know to strengthen them but as of right now, I can't hardly walk on it, let alone exercise. I've tried icing and Aleve which have both helped...but only for a short period. How have YOU treated your runner's knee?
    Thanks!

Runners knee if often symptomatic of weak hips or glutes. As there are several variations of runners knee here's a link to the injury prevention and treatment section at runners world.

http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,,s6-241-0-0-0,00.html

Don't rush the recovery, it's better to miss a few days of running looking after it than missing a few weeks or more by aggravating an injury.

I missed 6 weeks of running last fall with an IT band issue (pain was at the bottom & outside of my right knee), Stretching, massage & foam roller got me back on the road (and loop71 is bang on when she says foam rolling hurts - if you're doing it right)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I started by not running, did P90X and then Brazilian Butt Lift. I know only run 3x per week and ride bike 2x per week. It made all the difference. Cross training was the key to me.
  • YouTube had some great videos on stretches and strengtheners. Tomorrow night I do Legs & Back/P90X so hopefully I can make it through it. Just taking time off, resting/elevating/icing/heating my knee for now. It's about all I can do is rest it. thanks for the tips everyone!
  • EPhinn
    EPhinn Posts: 119 Member
    My physical therapist has me strengthening my hips, as well as the other muscles in my legs. The foam roller is also something I'm using, and I hate it... A lot! I use a balance board, have been raising the incline on treadmill, do squats on the total gym... Also, you should make sure you're stretching your quads, hamstrings, and your IT band. There are some workouts that I've found on youtube on great exercises for strengthening the hips, and great for weak knees.
  • Thank you for the tips!! :)
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Alot of stetching, when you wake up, and before you go to bed, must of the stretches should be the same ones you would do to stretch out your hamstrings, and calves. You need to strengthen all of the muscles around the knee, one of the best ways to do it is to do body weight squats on a half exercise ball, leg extentions, and lay down flat on you back, and lift your legs 6 inches off the ground, and make sure you toes are pointed straight up, and you knee is locked straight, and hold for 20 seconds each time. If you have ankle weights add those as they get easier.
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    I was just diagnosed with runner's knee this morning. I've been running for 8 weeks but recently increased my pace and implemented some stretching that was not tendon friendly.

Family Doctor: She did a series of muscle movements and an xray. Ice every 3 hours for 20 minutes, ibuprofen and/or the painkillers she prescribed every six hours as needed, knee elevated several times throughout the day for as long as possible, compression sleeve when I'm active, physical therapy to strengthen the muscles for aiding in fewer future occurrences and rest for one week. The last one is the hardest on me as I LOVE running/working out. With that said, I am taking this VERY seriously as I want to be a life long runner and ending up with surgery because I didn't listen is something I am not going to do.

Chiropractor: I also saw my chiro and he did muscle stripping (hurt like mad) on the quad, laser and ultrasound around the affected knee. I have felt some considerable relief from that treatment and will be going back on Monday for another round. He has given me some great advice on my running form and has given me a few more exercises to add to my strength training to help build my quad muscles up.