Have you had an "OMG" moment when counting calories?

Options
yesterday was my first day using MFP and counting calories! I was so proud of myself all day- i did so well and I actually loved entering in food that wasnt in the database already! Anyways though- I had about 300 calories left for the day and since I'm pregnant- I was craving some ice cream- so I asked hubby if we had any in the fridge and he said, "nope... but im running to the gas station" So I said, "ok well could you get some..." and then I said, "well no... i want a shake.. so you might as well just stop at Burger King and get me a Medium Chocolate shake"

So he comes home with a shake. I knew it would be a lot of calories- but thought maybe 300... WRONG. When i checked- it was almost 800 calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It almost made me sick! I never want another shake again from there! haha..

So just curious if anyone else has had a moment like that!

Replies

• mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    yesterday was my first day using MFP and counting calories! I was so proud of myself all day- i did so well and I actually loved entering in food that wasnt in the database already! Anyways though- I had about 300 calories left for the day and since I'm pregnant- I was craving some ice cream- so I asked hubby if we had any in the fridge and he said, "nope... but im running to the gas station" So I said, "ok well could you get some..." and then I said, "well no... i want a shake.. so you might as well just stop at Burger King and get me a Medium Chocolate shake"

So he comes home with a shake. I knew it would be a lot of calories- but thought maybe 300... WRONG. When i checked- it was almost 800 calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It almost made me sick! I never want another shake again from there! haha..

So just curious if anyone else has had a moment like that!
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    YES!! I had one last week. The girls in the office wanted to go to Qdoba... thought if I got the taco salad it would be ok. I ate the shell and all... then logged it... the shell alone was 400!!! I was like OMG!!! :cry: So next time I will not be eating the shell!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I love pizza... and though I havn't splurged on it yet since I started here in May, I have looked up the cal count in some of my favourite pizzas...... Shockingly, half a medium pizza is usually at or above 1000 cals...... I mean I know cheese is fattening but I never thought it was THAT bad.
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I have really learned the difference between a "KFC twister" and a "KFC twister without sauce" or a "side of corn" vs. a "side of corn without butter." Big differences when you are eating out!

Strangely, I never knew that the raisins I buy are 500 calories a cup! :noway:

The snacks I used to eat were more than my meals. I always thought taking a walk canceled everything out, but my walks only burn a little over 200 calories.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Yes...nachos. They don't look that bad, and look kinda little...but, all that greasy cheese, plus deep fried chips, and whole fat sour cream...yeah....WAYYY more than I had though.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Yes...nachos. They don't look that bad, and look kinda little...but, all that greasy cheese, plus deep fried chips, and whole fat sour cream...yeah....WAYYY more than I had though.
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the mac and cheese meal I used to eat at Noodles and Company is over 1000 calories!!!!!

Now I make homemade that is pretty darn good but more healthy, and I eat a smaller portion.
  • FUNinTHEsun
    FUNinTHEsun Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    the venti caramel frappuccino from starbucks!!!!! oh my! thankfully they now have "lighter" options on the menu...a grande coffee frappuccino light is now my drink of choice!
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    There was this time when I decided NOT to buy a skim mocha and buy a skim hot chocolate...well...geez...the h/c had more calories than the mocha. Wasn't impressed. :laugh:
  • jill5677
    jill5677 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had an OMG moment when I went to a spaghetti dinner benefit and got home and realized my 1 plate of spaghetti was probably close to 600 calories. Holy Crap!
  • momof5
    momof5 Posts: 11
    Options
    I've had quite a few OMG moments since I joined this website a week and a half ago!! Pretty scary stuff sometimes!
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    During pregnancy you need to consume an extra 200 calories a day in order to provide sufficient nutrients to the fetus. Make sure you eat plenty of healthy food, exercise, and enjoy your pregnancy!
  • jakspak
    jakspak Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    im finding this site great and having to enter alot of the foods we have here that you don't have over there is fun and really makes me think although i will have to go and get our mc Donald's and kfc etc nutrition guides as i think here some of our stuff maybe a bit more healthy than your and also our size's for things are way different i know i have to get our pizza place nutrition guide which i think i can check on line so may go do that now as we get pizza once a fortnight so need to know the damage it will do lol. we have a place called hell's pizza and oh my god so much better than pizza hutt by fare or even domino's and i think we have more on our pizza's here go check out what we get a fortnight at www.hell.co.nz mmm making me hungry roll on next Tuesday.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    My husband likes to cook breakfast on Sunday mornings and one morning after I logged everything in I had eaten about 800 calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That day I had not planned to exercise, I usually take Sundays off, and I only had 400 more calories for the rest of the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :noway: :noway: And that was eating at home!! I don't even want to think how many calories breakfast at Denny's or IHOP would be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :noway: :noway:
  • tlitzner
    tlitzner Posts: 124
    Options
    My worst OMG moment wasn't on here, but when reading that Men's Health article about the 20 worst foods. My FAVORITE splurge was Aussie cheese fries from Outback. The whole plate with ranch is over 2700 calories, that's almost 2 days worth; and I used to eat the whole thing for dinner!
  • kitten0puppy
    kitten0puppy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    yeah for lunch today i just had 4 slices of garlic bread nad i thought yeah its a bit greasy but 4 cant be that bad can it? so i logged it in and i had 900cals just for that!!! shocking. now ive got no caloreis left for today :(
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    My husband likes to cook breakfast on Sunday mornings and one morning after I logged everything in I had eaten about 800 calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That day I had not planned to exercise, I usually take Sundays off, and I only had 400 more calories for the rest of the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :noway: :noway: And that was eating at home!! I don't even want to think how many calories breakfast at Denny's or IHOP would be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :noway: :noway:

I used to cook a big breakfast every Sunday...omelettes, waffles, bacon, sausage:love: the works! I'd sit down and eat a three egg omelette, waffles drenched in syrup, sausages, bacon....and feel like a pig afterward. Now, I keep the big breakfasts to about twice a month, eat smaller portions (half an omelette, just one waffle), and eat something lighter on the other days.
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I been attending the MOVE program the V.A. offers for a little over 4 months, it like weight watchers but for the veterans. One thing they teach over and over is learn and read the food labels. Well, me being the I know it all already, basically only looked at labels of new foods and not the ones I use every day. Well, one day I looked at the labels of the food I would have eaten without a second though. When I saw just how many calories that little piece of food was, I looked to make sure no one was looking and quickly put the items back on the shelf. :embarassed:
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I think this is why MFP is so successful. The problem for most of us, definitely for me, is portions! You can still indulge in some of the higher calorie foods, but truly enjoy 2 or 3 bites rather than the entire thing.

I'm going to Outback for dinner tonight. I haven't been there in probably 1-2 years. I already know I need to box half my meal and drink lots of water. (Good to know about the aussie fries).

My OMG moment was when I started in October and was averaging over 3.000 /day! I've been happy at 14-1800/ day after my workout deficit and am still making progress. No wonder I felt like I could die; I'd hate to imagine where I would be today if I was still on that path.

MFP is about changing your lifestyle, not just a diet. :drinker:
  • Kayley
    Kayley Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten anything too bad since I've started MFP that had a great amount of calories, but I've had a few OMG's when I noticed how much protein I've been eating over my limit. I'm not a big fan of meat and don't eat much of it, so it's a suprise to see it so high up there sometimes. :laugh: