"surprise" explicitly homosexual content in games?

Options

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I always thoroughly research my games prior to purchasing/playing them. So there is no "surprise" involved.

I also don't play explicit games as I have minor children at home who often watch me game over my shoulder. Maybe when they're all grown and gone, I can get rowdy in the pixels. :devil:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options

I would like to have all my video games rated in sheep. None of this "Mature" or "pg13" crap. What is it on the BAA scale?

like the new ticker lol

Me too! Ha!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Aren't most of these games rated Mature? I'm fairly certain Dragon Age is... and if you're not researching games for yourself or your children, that's your own fault, not the game industry's.

so if it's rated Mature everything is fair game? Violence? Hetero sex? Homo sex? Dogs/sheep/horse? Rape/incest? etc? Is there anything "Mature" doesn't cover? What was "Mature" in the 90s is PG-13 in 2012.

And what do you consider "research"? Watching the commercials and reading the box description? Reading Amazon reviews? Magazine reviews? How many of these sources specifically said how much and what kind of sex/violence/sheep/etc was in the game?
    In life you are expected ot have a brain and be able to use it. If you don't know how to research games for your kids then take them to a park. Mature means mature. Just like a rated R movie. The rest of the world can not do your thinking for you.

Why would gay sex be such a big deal in a game when you can pick up hookers and snipe random people from rooftops. Chopping someone with an axe is ok though.
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    How the hell did I miss that on SWTOR
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    why is it necessary to have any sort of sexual activity in any video game? Where is the privacy?
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    why is it necessary to have any sort of sexual activity in any video game? Where is the privacy?

Privacy? The game isn't watching or reporting on you.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I mean, I guess, that why is it necessary to have explicit "relations" in any game or movie for that matter? It just seems like a cheap way to get people to buy something that is otherwise useless.

And by privacy, I mean, giving respect to sexuality and letting it be something beautiful that doesn't exist for the sake of making it into a game.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I played Knights of the Old Republic....even The Sims....if you are uncomfortable with Gay relationships then don't let your characters fall in love with the same sex....you are the controller after all
  • jennapony
    jennapony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't game so my opinion isn't worth much, but I think that if a game is rated mature it is up to the person playing it/ the parent of the person playing it to find out exactly what that rating entails. If some how they miss something in their research and something in the game offends them they should stop playing.

I also think violence>sex in the rating system.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I mean, I guess, that why is it necessary to have explicit "relations" in any game or movie for that matter? It just seems like a cheap way to get people to buy something that is otherwise useless.

And by privacy, I mean, giving respect to sexuality and letting it be something beautiful that doesn't exist for the sake of making it into a game.

The push in games now are for more "real" and deeper interactions. Games are created as movies/books where they tell a whole complex story rather than the follow this to that and then shoot that five times and the princess is saved. The average gamer's age is somewhere close to 30 now, so they are catering to their audience.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I like romances in games, and love sexual payoff. Not ashamed to admit it. Cheap sex = meh, but I'm a sucker for long, involved romances that, ahem, climax with an intimate scene. Besides, most sex scenes in games are way tamer than anything you'd ever see on cable TV.

If someone hits on me in a game and it's unwanted, then I turn them down...just like in real life. There's always an option to turn it down. So, what's the problem? Why are people so bothered by gay content in games if they can skip over that content entirely?

I find it odd that it's perfectly acceptable to obliterate people in graphic, gory ways in games, but a loving couple shouldn't be able to consummate their relationship.
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    I played Knights of the Old Republic....even The Sims....if you are uncomfortable with Gay relationships then don't let your characters fall in love with the same sex....you are the controller after all

this thread is assuming that popular games will eventually have same sex relationships as part of the main story line like many currently have for relationships between men and women and you are not given a choice.
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    If someone hits on me in a game and it's unwanted, then I turn them down...just like in real life. There's always an option to turn it down. So, what's the problem?

this thread is assuming that popular games will eventually have same sex relationships as part of the main story line like many currently have for relationships between men and women and you are not given a choice.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If someone hits on me in a game and it's unwanted, then I turn them down...just like in real life. There's always an option to turn it down. So, what's the problem?

No one is forcing anyone to buy the game. Problem solved.

I, for one, would welcome a game with a gay protagonist. Guy-gets-girl is SO overdone.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Aren't most of these games rated Mature? I'm fairly certain Dragon Age is... and if you're not researching games for yourself or your children, that's your own fault, not the game industry's.

P.S. I have tried over and over again to get Morrigan to sex me up, but I just haven't found the right way to seduce her into sleeping with my Lady Grey Warden-ness.

Morrigan won't sleep with a lady warden, although I'm sure you're totally badass and hot!

There is nothing explicit about homosexuality. If video games are supposed to be realistic as far as human nature is concerned it makes sense that there will be GLBT characters in games. Pretending that gay people don't exist is just silly.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options

Ohhhhh I can't see that happening though.....and even if it does it would be about time!
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options

There's nothing wrong with that, and it should be welcomed. By the way, what exactly is your position on this? It seems like you're quite opposed to the idea of same-sex relationships being portrayed in mainstream games alongside opposite-sex ones. I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I am getting from the tone of your posts here.
  • loseweightjames
    Options

There's nothing wrong with that, and it should be welcomed. By the way, what exactly is your position on this? It seems like you're quite opposed to the idea of same-sex relationships being portrayed in mainstream games alongside opposite-sex ones. I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I am getting from the tone of your posts here.

As the poster I am staying unbiased and refrain from sharing my personal opinion ;) Point of this thread was to see how the community felt and I think we have achieved that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

so if it's rated Mature everything is fair game? Violence? Hetero sex? Homo sex? Dogs/sheep/horse? Rape/incest? etc? Is there anything "Mature" doesn't cover? What was "Mature" in the 90s is PG-13 in 2012.

And what do you consider "research"? Watching the commercials and reading the box description? Reading Amazon reviews? Magazine reviews? How many of these sources specifically said how much and what kind of sex/violence/sheep/etc was in the game?

I am sorry, but this is a ridiculous arguement. Incest and bestiality are illegal. Same sex-sex is not. Violence is a basic part of the game (and many other games) anyway. And you have to pick your character to be gay. I think it is very far fetched to assume (as you mentioned earlier) that the main character will be gay and the user not know it until they started playing. Game companies are out there to make money - they will not do that with a mainstream game having a the main character be gay automatically (I would be fine with it, but the 'masses' would not).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    One more thing to add: there is no graphic sex between anyone. And the male gay relationship is really really tame (the lesbian one is a little more steamy - but the demographics of the players are male - so this is not surprising)