How can carbs be bad when ppl have eaten them for thousands

Options

Replies

• sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    how do you explain Asian, South American and European eating habits and health?

because they, unlike our fat arses, know portion control and eat cleaner (waaaaay less processed foods, better balanced.)
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Nonsense. I would suggest getting nutrition information from medical sites rather then body building sites or an MFP thread dedicated to a specific limited diet. There is plenty of scientific data showing health benefits from replacing refined grains with whoel grains.

Alan Aragon is one of the current leaders in nutritional information and runs AARR (Alan Aragon Research Review), which is a monthly publication that critically examines current scientific literature. AARR has been praised by individuals such as Brad Schoenfeld. So, yes, Alan is on a bodybuilding site but that doesn't make him any less informed.

That aside, I'm not a fan of appealing to authority. But because I like being informative, I shall share this little gem with you. By the way, this is a meta-analysis of information, so what you said is simply not true in light of current research. Read bold for emphasis ;):

"CONCLUSION

Most of the dietary guidance to reduce levels of refined grain intake is based primarily on evidence supporting increased whole-grain consumption, rather than on particular concerns about risks associated with refined grains per se. The protective effects of whole grains are well established, and in order to promote increased consumption without exceeding total grain consumption recommendations, there has to be a consequent decrease in the amount of refined-grain foods consumed. However, this is difficult to achieve. Even in the best large-scale intervention trials, with high levels of education and support, e.g., the 18-month trial in New Zealand [137], compliance with increased whole-grain targets was relatively poor.

The totality of evidence shows that consumption of up to 50% of all grain foods as core refined-grain foods
    (defined as foods based on refined grains without significant added fat, sugar, or sodium) is not associated with any increase in disease risk.
    Nonetheless, eating more whole-grain foods remains an important health recommendation, and most consumers will need to reduce their current consumption of refined grains to no more than one-third to one-half of all grains in order to meet the targets for whole-grain foods. It needs to be noted that this conclusion about refined grains only applies to core refined-grain cereal foods. In all communications with the public, the importance of limiting cereal-based foods that are high in added fat, sugar, and sodium still needs to be emphasized."
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2011.00452.x/abstract
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    The main problem I have with the CICO model is that body fat is regulated, and when people overeat/undereat the body will compensate to maintain homeostasis. It seems that lowering carb intake can drop the body weight set point in most people to some extent without feeling overly hungry. However keeping carb intake high while dropping calories can lead excessive hunger.

Or the most more simple explanation, when people lower carbs then generally increase protein intake which is found to be the most satiating macro

So is a low fat diet equally satiating as a low carb diet if protein is equivalent in both?

Most likely, if not more so.

i have to disagree with you.

the bigger rollercoaster ride my blood sugar takes, the hungier i am.

more fat and protein and a generally lower GI diet leaves me waaaaaaay more satisfied.
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    how do you explain Asian, South American and European eating habits and health?

because they, unlike our fat arses, know portion control and eat cleaner (waaaaay less processed foods, better balanced.)

So is sour dough bread and white rice considered processed? I thought they were because the germ had been stripped or whatever, but I can't tell from the responses what truly qualifies as "processed."
  • AeolianHarp
    Options

more fat and protein and a generally lower GI diet leaves me waaaaaaay more satisfied.

He was talking generally. Of course things change from person to person.
    goodie for them.. I am not going to debate the merrit of highly processed food filled with HFCS , transfats, sodium, chemicals, dyes, and white flour.. it doesn't take a genius to know this stuff is frankenfood at best and not good for you. BUT if you can eat them and be healthy and happy more power to you.

Whether it's good for you or not is dependent on the quantity. No food is healthy or unhealthy outside the context of a person's diet. Yes, the ingredients are questionable but that doesn't mean it's unhealthy or healthy until we see how it fits within someone's diet. For example, one pop tart in the diet of a healthy individual (someone who has no allergies to certain products and what not) will have no negative consequences. Many, many people can eat tarts with no ill effects. The point isn't just pop tarts but anything we enjoy. The USDA discretionary caloric allotment allows for individuals to eat 10-20% of their caloric intake from refined sources with no negative consequences. Similarly, not eating those things will not make you healthier.
  • Gwen7121
    Gwen7121 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    One time my trainer asked me what I eat and as I was listing it she said "Oh you're still ON bread?" like it was a drug or something!!

Our trainer says all fruits should be avoided. Fruits. Seriously? I had a migraine one day, and he saw a grapefruit on my desk. He said if I would quit eating fruit, I wouldn't get migraines.

I don't take nutrition advice from him.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    The main problem I have with the CICO model is that body fat is regulated, and when people overeat/undereat the body will compensate to maintain homeostasis. It seems that lowering carb intake can drop the body weight set point in most people to some extent without feeling overly hungry. However keeping carb intake high while dropping calories can lead excessive hunger.

Or the most more simple explanation, when people lower carbs then generally increase protein intake which is found to be the most satiating macro

So is a low fat diet equally satiating as a low carb diet if protein is equivalent in both?

Most likely, if not more so.

Interesting, I was going to disagree too. But not because of blood sugar swings (I don't have them).

While protein does keep you fuller longer, I don't think it is more satisfying. I either need fat or carbs to feel satisfied.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    carbs are not bad. Nothing is as long as you eat it in moderation. Processed carbs are less healthy than unprocessed but carbs and ok for you just dont go crazy and eat a whole loaf of bread. LOL
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think it is all in which carbs you are eating after all fruit and vegetables are carbs- The question is ..are the carbs real food or processed gunk that wouldn't resemble food even it were wearing an apple costume lol.."pop tarts come to mind".. And how does your body react to them..Many people can't tolerate high carbs or a lot of grains.. like those with Celiac disease ( Me), thryroid disease, diabetes, insulin resistence, PCOS to name a few.

I actually know MANY people who consume a lot of pop tarts and they used to be former fatties but are now lean, strong and incredibly healthy individuals.
    3DMJ: Describe your nutrition when training for a competition.

Alberto Nunez: Foods don’t ever change too much. Quesadillas, Pop-Tarts, and some of my favorite cereals are still staples. The total calories change, and protein is upped a bit. Training is very similar to the offseason protocol, as cliché as it sounds, whatever helps you gain, will help you retain.

alberto_mm.jpg?timestamp=1257305029489

:indifferent:

Nice body but I'm sad that he can contain his junk in the palm of his hand.

:drinker: Here's hoping he's a grower.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    They're not bad. Virtually no food is "bad".

You never had my ex-boyfriend's mother's cooking. Bleah. :sick:

But... yeah. I love carbs and just ate a big fluffy Asiago cheese bagel. Some people have intolerance issues and should limit the kinds of carbs they have. The rest of us can and do enjoy them.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    It's just the newest thing to demonize, just like fats before it
    For years we've believed protein to be good for you, but is it really killing you? Find out on the next Dr. Oz!
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    "How can carbs be bad when ppl have eaten them for thousands"

This is the worst argument for anything ever.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Worse than, don't eat grains, legumes and dairy because it didn't exist in Paleolithic times?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Worse than, don't eat grains, legumes and dairy because it didn't exist in Paleolithic times?

It's pretty much the same argument.

lulz.
  • AeolianHarp
    Options

Paleo individuals give me the lulz.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

Oh snap!
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options

How? I think the continuation of our species says a lot for what works and what doesn't! They say this is the first generation that will not live longer than their parents, and I think that speaks to our current obesity epidemic and what we're doing wrong. How can you argue with what's kept people alive for thousands of years???
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    carbs and they way they are produced and marketed in this country is a whole different ball game.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

How? I think the continuation of our species says a lot for what works and what doesn't! They say this is the first generation that will not live longer than their parents, and I think that speaks to our current obesity epidemic and what we're doing wrong. How can you argue with what's kept people alive for thousands of years???

There is no doubt in my mind that people who currently have weight problems should be restricting their carb intake instead of focusing solely on calorie intake for the most part.

However the difficult question is determining what caused this condition in the first place. I find it highly doubtful that over-eating in general because of easy access to food is what led to this problem. I think it is likely a cumulative effect of genetically susceptible individuals eating too much refined grains, sugar and other processed foods.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    You have to look at the ethnological data because it isn't as simple as saying carbs are the root to overeating and obesity, like some people will banter about. It's a combination of many ethnological conditions that may contribute to obesity. The Kitevans have been consuming 70% carbs for thousands of years and they have no heart disease, or any diseases to speak of and they smoke like chimneys..........get off the island and it's pretty much down hill from there. Sit around and not exercise, eat processed and fast food "IN EXCESS" pretty much tells the story for the most part.