In the market for a bike. Advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    You could get a GT or Diamondback hardtail MTB for that price. Add a set of slick tires, and you have a very nice street bike.
    My MTB is a Specialized Hardrock Disc that was about that price 4 years ago, it seems like the are ~$500 now though :(

In road and mountain bikes, usually the only difference between men's and women's bikes are paint jobs. Some time women's bikes come in tiny sizes, which is only an issue if you are under 5'0". Rarely, women's bikes have a different geometry, but all of these are high end road bikes, over 10x your budget.
    Cruisers could be different, as women's bikes sometimes are "step through".
    Really, the only reasons to buy a women's bike are:
    If you are less than 5' tall
    If you really like baby blue or pink
    If you bike in a skirt

I just bought a new mountain bike, it's a Men's 18"
    I stand 5'1" and my inseam is about 27", and the bike is really big for me. I cannot even stand over the bar, I'm on my toes, when I stop, I have to lean the bike over, and it's a bit intimidating.

Years ago, I went to REI to get 'fitted' for a bike, and basically was told I'd have to get one custom made because I have a longer torso and shorter legs. Since I cannot afford a custom made bike right now, I bought stock bike. Got it from Costco, $350. It has decent name brand parts (Shimano shifter, crank and drivetrain)

I am assuming that the OP is just beginning in the biking world, hence she does not want to spend a lot of money. I am in the same boat, and that's why I bought the bike from Costco, if I decide I don't like the bike after the summer is over Costco will take the bike back and I can get my money back. Can't do that at a LBS, (Costco is local for me anyway).
    If I decide I *love* biking, I will go to REI (again they are local to me as well) and cough up the $1000 for a custom bike.

So, OP, if you are near Costco, I'd check out their bikes...you can see the website www.northrockbikes.com (currently they only distribute thru Costco). i had to put my bike together, but it was really simple, and the company has a video that shows you step by step how to put it together.
    I went for a 3 mile bike ride over the weekend, the bike rode nice and smooth, I would recommend looking into them.

Good Luck!
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have a Trek "bike path" bike. It has bigger tires so it can go on both pavement and gravel, Love it. You could go to a bike store and get fitted and then buy one elsewhere once you know what kind of things would work. Performance Bikes is good, REI, and even smaller local bike shops depending on where you live. I bought mine at local place and was treated awesome. He went through different ones and what type of riding I planned to do etc. He never once tried to upsell me to a road bike or anything super expensive. Ride a few different types and see what feels best. Different types have different handle bar or pedal set ups, etc. Good luck!
  • TheLukePhone
    TheLukePhone Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The Kona Dew bikes are very nice for the price (around $400) and are hybrid bikes.

Trek has the 7.2's that are a little bit more, but also very nice.

Cannondale has the Quicks, which are very nice also.
  • _John
    _John Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no-one suggested trying ebay. For that money you really can't buy a new bike of much quality but most bikes get very little use so look for last years models on ebay. I bought a Specialized bike (a decent mass market brand) for about that price that was like new but I paid half the new price.

--
  • aleciafeustel
    Options
    The best way to get a good price 2-300 on a hybrid bike is now, in the spring.
    Last years models go on sale and, you can usually get it for about 1/2 or 2/3 the price of a new one.
    I got a GT Nomad last year for 250$ from the bike outlet shop near where I live.
    Or craigs list always have used bikes on.
    I sold my 20 year old Timberlin on there last year for $50.
    Hope that help, happy biking:bigsmile:
  • eksb
    eksb Posts: 93
    Options
    I noticed advice about settling on a bike just because it's cheaper. I really don't recommend this at all. If your bike doesn't fit you properly, you won't be able to ride it long distances and you'll begin to hate it. It will sit in the garage and never be used. You could even injure yourself terribly. You need to be able to get your feet on the ground and straddle the top tube comfortably. Can you imagine hitting that thing in an accident? Or even having to come to a quick stop and not being able to get your feet on the ground easily. Yikes!!!

Why buy something that you won't ever get used to. Above all, get a bike that fits you.
  • mjclingan
    Options
    I work at a small local bike shop to my area. Please try another one in your area. The one you went to was rude? Yeah, we have them here too. Find one that is willing to work with you and find the right bike in YOUR price range and size. You want the bike to fit you and your budget, be comfortable that you WANT to ride it and to fit all your needs.

We will order last years leftover bikes in your size and give you the sale price so we don't put you on the wrong size bike. We do free inspection tune ups for life. Tons of shops in PA (where I live) are like this and for every one like us there is another one that would rather sell you whatever is on the floor no matter the size just to get it out of there.

Wear comfortable clothing and ask for a test ride. If something feels off ask the bike shop to adjust it and test ride it again. DON'T just consider bike brands you "know" as being "good" brands. We only carry Felt and Jamis in stock (and just recently dropped Giant because we couldn't keep up with their stocking commitments.... we are a really small shop). We can also order Haro, Kona, Lynskey, Voodoo, Niner, Redline, etc. So don't be put off by random names. They are usually smaller companies with excellent bikes as well!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    If you go mountain bike, look for a 29 rather than a 26
    the 29 shares tire sizes with 700c (road bike/hybrid) bikes.

It might be getting better now, but when they came out through last year, 29ers were reserved for the top of the line bikes. The cheapest 29er I've seen is well over $1k. You might be able to find a used one, but they aren't too old either.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    You could get a GT or Diamondback hardtail MTB for that price. Add a set of slick tires, and you have a very nice street bike.
    My MTB is a Specialized Hardrock Disc that was about that price 4 years ago, it seems like the are ~$500 now though :(

In road and mountain bikes, usually the only difference between men's and women's bikes are paint jobs. Some time women's bikes come in tiny sizes, which is only an issue if you are under 5'0". Rarely, women's bikes have a different geometry, but all of these are high end road bikes, over 10x your budget.
    Cruisers could be different, as women's bikes sometimes are "step through".
    Really, the only reasons to buy a women's bike are:
    If you are less than 5' tall
    If you really like baby blue or pink
    If you bike in a skirt

I just bought a new mountain bike, it's a Men's 18"
    I stand 5'1" and my inseam is about 27", and the bike is really big for me. I cannot even stand over the bar, I'm on my toes, when I stop, I have to lean the bike over, and it's a bit intimidating.

Wow, that's big! I'm 11" taller with about a 4" longer pant inseam, and I ride a 17-18" MTB.

I ride a 58cm road bike, if someone tries to put you on one that big, slap them! Usually women's bikes don't go over 56cm.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    congrats! now stop posting on this board and go ride it!
  • NicolelaJones
    Options
    congrats! now stop posting on this board and go ride it!

HA! I know right ;) It's in the mail
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    NIce looking bike. Enjoy!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    * Bump *

Need to read this later :)
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    That is a nice bike but you ended up spending almost $500...thought $300 was your budget...I was being hopeful that I could find something nice in the $2-300 range :( Guess I'll keep looking...congrats to you!